2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question - what is the weight of cannon ball you guys all use. My uncle uses 15lb, but when I go to Alaska and go with friends they usually use 10lbers. Just curious, and am jealous of all the updates and me being here in Yukon, but alas heading to Valdez, AK next weekend for silvers......6 per day is allowed :)
20 lb to deal with currents coming out of fraser

Quick question - what is the weight of cannon ball you guys all use. My uncle uses 15lb, but when I go to Alaska and go with friends they usually use 10lbers. Just curious, and am jealous of all the updates and me being here in Yukon, but alas heading to Valdez, AK next weekend for silvers......6 per day is allowed :)

We were using 20 pounders with bon chovy the other day too.

20 lb Cannon Ball?????

I use 15's. I would use 18 or 20's but the downriggers are too slow for me with that much weight. The reason they usually fish with lighter balls on the West Coast and up north is they usually fish shallow and they fish structure a lot (scraping bottom) so losing gear is common.

I switched from 15s to 18s this year but more for winter fishing and thrasher in the spring. I find them tough to palm and get out of the locker but I have tiny hands. Like a lady. I use them now but they're not necessary in this fishery, only because I don't want to carry both on board.

PS this is a reports thread. If you guys have questions you can make a new thread in the saltwater fishing section and still reach everyone here.

2 over 20#, 1 missed hit, 2 released pinks in just under an hour at sandheads this morning. Lumpy while we were there. In floor baitwell bilge stopped working, filled with water from the swell and things only exacerbate from there. Falling out of love with our classic whaler. May be on the market following this season.

I switched from 15s to 18s this year but more for winter fishing and thrasher in the spring. I find them tough to palm and get out of the locker but I have tiny hands. Like a lady. I use them now but they're not necessary in this fishery, only because I don't want to carry both on board.

PS this is a reports thread. If you guys have questions you can make a new thread in the saltwater fishing section and still reach everyone here.
now this is rich coming from you lmao

Took my wife and daughter over to our cabin yesterday so no fishing for me but the locals over there said the fishing around the gulf islands has also been very good lately with some large Springs being caught this past week especially.

Report texted to me from my buddy's who are fishing this morning at the sand heads:

"Two Springs on board so far, lost a big pig probably around 25 pounds 10' from the boat to a seal. Lots and lot's of Pinks today at all depths. Fishing anchovies, herring and hoochies. We are out from the pack in deeper water fishing between 70-100 on the downriggers."

Took my wife and daughter over to our cabin yesterday so no fishing for me but the locals over there said the fishing around the gulf islands has also been very good lately with some large Springs being caught this past week especially.

Report texted to me from my buddy's who are fishing this morning at the sand heads:

"Two Springs on board so far, lost a big pig probably around 25 pounds 10' from the boat to a seal. Lots and lot's of Pinks today at all depths. Fishing anchovies, herring and hoochies. We are out from the pack in deeper water fishing between 70-100 on the downriggers."

Did they say where? Active Pass probably I am assuming?

Did they say where? Active Pass probably I am assuming?
Yes. Some mid to high 20's being caught this past week. From a friend that talks to all the local guys regularly. F'ing Seals are in big numbers everywhere right now with all these Springs coming in. We watched a fisherman battling a fish and a Seal on our way over yesterday on the other side. So many of them and seems they get more and more brazen every year but I know they have always been like that just getting on my nerves more now days getting older and grumpier lol.

Yes. Some mid to high 20's being caught this past week. From a friend that talks to all the local guys regularly. F'ing Seals are in big numbers everywhere right now with all these Springs coming in. We watched a fisherman battling a fish and a Seal on our way over yesterday on the other side. So many of them and seems they get more and more brazen every year but I know they have always been like that just getting on my nerves more now days getting older and grumpier lol.
Yeah I caught and released quite a few big ones at active pass looking for early pinks this year before Aug 1. I also lost a nice spring to a seal at the Sandheads last week..

Anyone out right now? Wondering how the forecast NW swell and winds are. Thinking about a trip out to N Arm in a couple hours. Thanks

Last Sunday I lost a mid 20’s spring to a seal off the lightship, ended up hooking it with my two 5/0 owners in its butt. Taught that little **** a lesson and towed it backwards for 45 mins until we were right on top of the thing terrified as ****, cut the leader at the boat. Anyways, good luck out there this week fellas , currently sitting in Mexico City airport on a connector to Panama City to fish the world famous tropic star lodge in the Darién gap. Big black marlin, yft and roosterfish here I come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back