2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine I confess I think it was me who waked you guys. I saw the arms waving and mistook it for the international symbol for free fried ckicken. I blame it on my leaky exhaust.
Haha I knew it! Well I'm sorry I was screaming at you then. Right after you pulled away I said that to my buddy "**** I bet that was someone from the forum coming to say hi" :p. Been a while since I had a fish on with that much line peeled out. Needless to say I was a little stressed. You should have stayed to watch the cluster **** of a landing job lol.

So you really couldn't tell I had a fish on eh? o_O

Haha I knew it! Well I'm sorry I was screaming at you then. Right after you pulled away I said that to my buddy "**** I bet that was someone from the forum coming to say hi" :p. Been a while since I had a fish on with that much line peeled out. Needless to say I was a little stressed. You should have stayed to watch the cluster **** of a landing job lol.

So you really couldn't tell I had a fish on eh? o_O

I came at you from the east so we were nose to nose. Looked quiet to me on a clear tack. That floating condo blocks lots but there were boats around and no way were we 100' off not even I'm that blind lol.

3 Springs on Anchovies , then switched to white hoochie , and a pink hoochie. Caught and released another 4 Springs , and caught 5 Pink
Riggers were at 45 down to 75 ,another epic day.
CO was at the launching ramp when I got there, fined 5 guys in a boat $100 each for not entering their catch on their license.
Lesson learned.

Was out yesterday (Sunday). Joined the crowd at the QA around 9am...didn't see any boats with fish or nets, so I moved over to T10. Was around T10 for an hour or more and only saw one boat hook up. Moved over to join the pack at Sandheads. Wasn't seeing much action but by about 2pm I had got my setups figured out and had several fish hookup. I had my success in 250-300ft of water around 50-70ft on the riggers. Anchovies in teaser heads. Went home with a beautiful white spring.

Was a great day on the water. My first day running with braid on the riggers which took a bit to learn how to gauge my speed by the angle. Also, my release clips were slipping up the braid so I ended up hooking the clips on to my cannonball snubber instead.

(edited for more detail)

Last edited:
CO was at the launching ramp when I got there, fined 5 guys in a boat $100 each for not entering their catch on their license.
Lesson learned.

Probably a good thing. Pretty sure a lot of people on this forum are at or close to the new annual limit of 10 by now. Wonder how many have “lost” their license and are working off of “reprints”. What a system.

It's been a fun past week at the Sandheads which has included getting a few of my buddies into their first hogs, my dad nailing a couple beauties, and even boating one myself lol. The seals have been on heavy patrol and it's been exciting/frustrating battling fish with them lingering around. My buddy had an epic battle with a hog right as that HUGE yellow tug came blasting by us at full smoke. He was just setting his gear and we were butt into the waves coming and bam fish on. Then the other rod goes.. Double header with the Massive tug waves barreling in on us from the back. Realized quickly my rod was a smally and thankfully he shook the hook pretty quick but by that time I had no chance of turning head first into the waves.. 4 guys on the boat, a beauty on the line and we're into the waves butt first. What a fight! I'm on and off the throttle as the curlers come breaking over the swimgrid. By this time the fish has come right to the surface and is surfing the waves like I've never seen before. We're getting pounded and I'm yelling at my buddy to keep the fish way off the boat. Well smiley had other plans. He came right at us and right to the side that has my manual downrigger.. I really didn't want to attempt pulling it up in those waves and have it bashing up my boat so I left it deep. I can see the fish he's tight but now he's wrapped up... Panic insues lol. He actually unwrapped himself, took one massive leap 3 feet off the boat and spat the hook. Much dissapointment after such a fight but one of the coolest and most memorable hookups I've had to date. We were eventually rewarded with some nice landed fish and a great story to tell....

Attachments

• Resized_20190810_164217.jpg
    Resized_20190810_164217.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 151
I have spent the week sitting in a very well conditioned office and occasionally checking this thread, only to be completely f’ed up by the reports, and then to struggle back to re-focus on what I really needed to focus on but didn’t want to focus on. Now, having been out for dinner on the waterfront overlooking the boat, I have just walked in the door and salted the anchovies (apparently, unnecessarily) and read Chasin’ Dreams report and the first thing going thru my mind at 9:30pm at night is whether it is too early to head out, right now ... I am a mess, I need to fish.
This makes me feel normal. Thanks buddy, that’s me all the time since August 1 and I’ve been out 4 times - the feeling gets suppressed for a bit, but it keeps coming right back! Props to you for staying in the office last week, stronger man than I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back