2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Ambleside beach now and it’s a strong westerly Blow. Going to wait out a bit. EC has the Gail Warning up tho. :rolleyes:

We launched at Horsehoe Bay this morning, got out on the south side of Bowen and was overwelmed by the whitecaps! Definitely Gale force. Fished Tunstall and ended up with nothing but managed a good number of prawns from the bay!

Hello fine fellow fisher-folk,

Last year was bad for traps for me, lost few to theft and am prepping the boat for the new season, and reports like seatosky 's give me the "bite" and want to get out fishing, set some traps etc. , but want to try avoid losing any traps this year.
So am going to test this product and give a report , not to expensive, and will keep you posted:

43537-8a149c562873613a00fa7f1e42f32671.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/LandAirSea-W...inements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin:554289011

Attachments

• waterproof-gps.jpg
    waterproof-gps.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 88

Last year was bad for traps for me, lost few to theft and am prepping the boat for the new season, and reports like seatosky 's give me the "bite" and want to get out fishing, set some traps etc. , but want to try avoid losing any traps this year.
So am going to test this product and give a report , not to expensive, and will keep you posted:

https://www.amazon.com/LandAirSea-Waterproof-Magnetic-Personal-Location/dp/B06XVZ6Y4T/ref=sr_1_3?s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1550161148&sr=1-3&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin:554289011
Oh I so hope it works.

https://www.amazon.com/LandAirSea-Waterproof-Magnetic-Personal-Location/dp/B06XVZ6Y4T/ref=sr_1_3?s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1550161148&sr=1-3&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin:554289011

Good of you to share.

Are you certain they were lost due to theft?

No offence, but I have friends who were under the same impression. They have lost 3 or more sets. There’s one key difference between our prawn rigs - I use a 10-15# ball to keep things in place and I run 500’ of line.

In a decade I’ve lost one string and I’m certain a log boom dragged it on the prawn grounds.

Hope this helps.

I may be wrong but that unit may work only in the USA, i was reading all the customer reviews, one said you need a Global
tracker to work out of the US , some monthly plan you need to set up, would be great if it worked.

$24.95/month minimum cost for tracking and for detailed tracking it costs more than that apparently and as others noted you better make sure the unit can be used in Canada as I've looked into several types that are not able to be used here. I use similar devices for my work equipment.
Also even though it says water proof I would be pretty surprised if it can transmit a signal through 300' to 400' of water, unless you're planning on attaching it to the buoy, not the traps..?

As others have noted also make sure your lines are weighted properly and that you are setting them on flat ledges and not slopes and you may find your traps may stop "disappearing" due to "theft". Yes for sure there are thief's out there but I guarantee the majority of traps that go missing are due to improperly weighted traps, lines, and where they are set. If you are setting in 300' for example you better make sure you have at least 360' of line you set out to your buoy... tide, current, etc all come into play when setting your traps. My two trap line set ups have 15 pounds of weight on them; three 5 lb'rs clipped on the lines. One at the ground end, one between the two traps, and one after the upper trap...
And I have personally recovered several lost prawn trap sets over the years and returned them to the owners where they swore the traps were stolen. One of the fella's even posted on this forum that his traps were stolen and had noted where he had set them etc.. when we found them his traps and lines were not weighted and his buoy was of inadequate size to even float his whole set up when they probably slid off of the slope he set them on.. Sometimes a strong flood will push them into shallower water when they aren't' weighted properly and they can later be recovered. Tracking tides/currents in the area can help with locating lost traps but not always. Even with my traps, bait and all the weights I use, my buoy's are still large enough to float the whole set up if they happen to come dislodged and float off.

Last edited:
Was out around grace 2 hr's before low tide today(was the only boat fishing). Tons of fish on the TV. Got 61cm right away( released), another debatable size spit the hook 20 min later. Got a nice one on a couple minutes later, almost got it to boat and a big fat seal ripped it off the hook. Don't think the seal even ate the fish. Next him and two of his buddies followed me for the next 1.5 hr's. They took turns going down deep for many minutes then surfacing. A pall would then take over . The tons of fish that were there ran for the hills when the family of seals arrived. I went home(not happy). How can we deal with this out of control over population of protected seals that are killing are whales and fisheries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back