2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Discussion in '2019 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Monster

Red Monster Well-Known Member

EA5DA140-8565-44B7-A924-A90A54A9F8DD.jpeg

Burban, Normfish, Oly1 and 9 others like this.
  2. Onchy

Onchy Active Member

Beautiful night off Cowan. Fished 5-730, 4 fish between 8- 10lbs in the first hour or so before it died off. Green splatter back hootchie and Irish Creme silver horde. 97 & 117/

Too bad that NW looks like its going nuclear tonight

Saratoga likes this.
  3. tubber

tubber Well-Known Member

nice catch. 2 questions: Any fear of tearing your rail off if you get hung up? I have my DRs on a rail mounts on my boat. 17 whaler.
    Does the Scotty puller put crazy kinks in your prawn line as it comes off the thing that used to be called a ni**erhead and is now probably called a capstan?
    Looks like your line is braided not laid?

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

If this is your boat your are prawning in protected sponge glass area in lions bay. Please remove before you lose them. Thanks

Attached Files:

5. cohochinook

cohochinook Well-Known Member

Just a little windy out there today! IMG_5811.jpg

Tinny, hippaisland, Saratoga and 3 others like this.
  6. 1marko

1marko Active Member

A sign of the times...lol the weather
    Was no help either...

Macdonald beach boat launch today.
    and not a single trailer in sight.

20190427_140546.jpg

7. daddystoy

daddystoy Well-Known Member

Definitely the weather! Crazy out there today!

8. sir-vivor

sir-vivor Well-Known Member

I think it should work both ways , if the FN have any openings to fish Fraser Chinook.... Then the Rec fish should be allowed to fish on those same dates with our traditional barbed hooks .......... after all we also feed our families with the fish we harvest.

9. Trophy79

Trophy79 Active Member

Made it out to Thrasher today...a little bumpy on the way there, but nothing terrible...let the North Westerly wind just blow me down Valdez ....was fishing 200-350 feet of water....riggers at 90-120...productive at 110/120...landed 7 and missed 5...all undersize...majority of them 18” footballs with lots of spunk...largest 24.5”...fishing solo and was a blast...had lines in the water from 1030-1400...hopefully in another week or so larger ones will be showing up....

10. sweettjim

sweettjim Active Member

11. Burgerchow

Burgerchow New Member

Hi red monster. I just started prawning. Haven’t had too much luck. Only getting a few around passage island. Any pointers where I should drop? I spent $1,000 for 2 traps, 450 ft rope, eights, bait , and Scotty lune puller. First time out , I caught 6 spot prawns. Worked out to about $170 per prawn. Best Spot Prawns I ever tasted. Lol

marbledmurrelet and BarryA like this.
  12. Corey_lax

Corey_lax Well-Known Member

My traps max out at 7 prawns on a regular basis haha. Keep trying new spots and depths. And be careful around Passage Islands as there is lots of closures.

marbledmurrelet likes this.
  13. seatosky

seatosky Well-Known Member

One keeper size near Cowan at 110’. Glow flashes and 3” spoon.

Anyone else? Lots of boats near passage.

14. Prfisher

Prfisher Active Member

That's GREAT. Now, any you catch after today will be free!
    We are new to prawning as well. I think persistence is the name of the game. There is lots of good info on this forum and other places on the net. What depth & type of bottom to look for & what baits to try etc. I recently bought the Navionics app for my iPad & now can search likely spots at home.
    We have been having decent catches at times but no consistency.
    Out of 4 traps pulled today, we ended up with 55 nice sized prawns. Certainty not a killer haul, but not a skunk, either.
    Our best haul to date was 213 after an overnight soak in 4 traps.
    I hope to get a few more tries before the commercial guys start on the 9th.
    Keep trying & good luck!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    BarryA likes this.
  15. Matthias

Matthias Well-Known Member

Fishing south Bowen. Nothing so far. Anyone out?

16. sir-vivor

sir-vivor Well-Known Member

This thread should maybe be changed to PRAWNS 2019 ... not funny , I know ;(

reeltordarius likes this.
  17. capman

capman Member

That actually makes sense. Lol. I've never done prawning on my own before but now after spending around $1000 on puller, traps and other gears, ready to give it a try. I know there is a long road ahead of me.

18. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

If you're just learning a two hour soak is all you need to know if you've ****** up or not. Try three sets in a day to practice. If you get a dozen in each trap you can throw them back down right where you had them if you have nothing then move them. My wife and I did a 260 prawn load in two hours off Bowen in 4 traps about 6 weeks ago.

Whitebuck, capman and Dogbreath like this.
  19. Corey_lax

Corey_lax Well-Known Member

Gotta get your kid a license and get more traps haha

Rain City likes this.
  20. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

I tried! My wife's not having any of it lol :rolleyes:.

Corey_lax and marbledmurrelet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.