2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful night off Cowan. Fished 5-730, 4 fish between 8- 10lbs in the first hour or so before it died off. Green splatter back hootchie and Irish Creme silver horde. 97 & 117/

Too bad that NW looks like its going nuclear tonight

nice catch. 2 questions: Any fear of tearing your rail off if you get hung up? I have my DRs on a rail mounts on my boat. 17 whaler.
Does the Scotty puller put crazy kinks in your prawn line as it comes off the thing that used to be called a ni**erhead and is now probably called a capstan?
Looks like your line is braided not laid?

If this is your boat your are prawning in protected sponge glass area in lions bay. Please remove before you lose them. Thanks

Attachments

• 20190427_101420.jpg
    20190427_101420.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 305
A sign of the times...lol the weather
Was no help either...

Macdonald beach boat launch today.
and not a single trailer in sight.

20190427_140546.jpg

Made it out to Thrasher today...a little bumpy on the way there, but nothing terrible...let the North Westerly wind just blow me down Valdez ....was fishing 200-350 feet of water....riggers at 90-120...productive at 110/120...landed 7 and missed 5...all undersize...majority of them 18” footballs with lots of spunk...largest 24.5”...fishing solo and was a blast...had lines in the water from 1030-1400...hopefully in another week or so larger ones will be showing up....

On Sunday I didn't have any action fishing HITW, but my boys and I did manage lots of prawns using my new prawn puller!

View attachment 45179

View attachment 45180
Hi red monster. I just started prawning. Haven’t had too much luck. Only getting a few around passage island. Any pointers where I should drop? I spent $1,000 for 2 traps, 450 ft rope, eights, bait , and Scotty lune puller. First time out , I caught 6 spot prawns. Worked out to about $170 per prawn. Best Spot Prawns I ever tasted. Lol

Hi red monster. I just started prawning. Haven’t had too much luck. Only getting a few around passage island. Any pointers where I should drop? I spent $1,000 for 2 traps, 450 ft rope, eights, bait , and Scotty lune puller. First time out , I caught 6 spot prawns. Worked out to about $170 per prawn. Best Spot Prawns I ever tasted. Lol
My traps max out at 7 prawns on a regular basis haha. Keep trying new spots and depths. And be careful around Passage Islands as there is lots of closures.

One keeper size near Cowan at 110’. Glow flashes and 3” spoon.

Anyone else? Lots of boats near passage.

That's GREAT. Now, any you catch after today will be free!
We are new to prawning as well. I think persistence is the name of the game. There is lots of good info on this forum and other places on the net. What depth & type of bottom to look for & what baits to try etc. I recently bought the Navionics app for my iPad & now can search likely spots at home.
We have been having decent catches at times but no consistency.
Out of 4 traps pulled today, we ended up with 55 nice sized prawns. Certainty not a killer haul, but not a skunk, either.
Our best haul to date was 213 after an overnight soak in 4 traps.
I hope to get a few more tries before the commercial guys start on the 9th.
Keep trying & good luck!

Last edited:
This thread should maybe be changed to PRAWNS 2019 ... not funny , I know ;(
That actually makes sense. Lol. I've never done prawning on my own before but now after spending around $1000 on puller, traps and other gears, ready to give it a try. I know there is a long road ahead of me.

That actually makes sense. Lol. I've never done prawning on my own before but now after spending around $1000 on puller, traps and other gears, ready to give it a try. I know there is a long road ahead of me.
If you're just learning a two hour soak is all you need to know if you've ****** up or not. Try three sets in a day to practice. If you get a dozen in each trap you can throw them back down right where you had them if you have nothing then move them. My wife and I did a 260 prawn load in two hours off Bowen in 4 traps about 6 weeks ago.

If you're just learning a two hour soak is all you need to know if you've ****** up or not. Try three sets in a day to practice. If you get a dozen in each trap you can throw them back down right where you had them if you have nothing then move them. My wife and I did a 260 prawn load in two hours off Bowen in 4 traps about 6 weeks ago.
Gotta get your kid a license and get more traps haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back