2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Discussion in '2019 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BCRingo

BCRingo Well-Known Member

When I zoom in, I only see Budweiser! :D

2. Matthias

Matthias Well-Known Member

crickets.... anyone home??
    Anyone heading out this weekend? a bit too windy for my liking..
    Was out last Sunday (sorry for the late report), West side of Bowen, 2 keepers, handful of just unders. We got over 200 prawns in 4 traps so that was nice! Lot's of berried females which went back, some were unlucky and the seagulls that were flocking picked them up..
    Later on fished the harbour a bit and saw @Rain City with his new commander.. What a beaut!!

Stizzla and Rain City like this.
  3. macro

macro Active Member

Possibly sunday. Black boat Green Canopy

Matthias likes this.
  4. CR Bill

CR Bill New Member

Suggestion: put the berried females in a bucket, take them into shallower water and release them there; they’ll have a much better chance to make the bottom

Dogbreath and Matthias like this.
  5. ryanb

ryanb Well-Known Member

Also, I find if you drop the females right below the boat instead of throwing them out to the side the gulls can't or won't go for them.

Saratoga, ShipDisturber and Rain City like this.
  6. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Great idea. I saw one guy on youtube put them all in a bucket then dump them all at once. Numbers game kinda thing, the birds can only get so many at once.

7. BCI

BCI Crew Member

Would have to see what DFO says about that - they may misinterpret your good intentions if they pull you over travelling with a bucket of berried prawns.

ronin2024 and Rain City like this.
  8. Reeltime

Reeltime Well-Known Member

I flip and open the trap, pick out all the females drop them off tight on the side of the boat, gulls won't come close to
    the boat throw couple heads for a decoy, giving the prawns a way better chance at making while the traps are up
    freshly pulled while there kicking hard, not in a bucket for later, prawns start to die fast in a bucket.

Seafood safari is good everywhere crabs are picking up in the harbour nice hard shelled,
    prawns are doing good for lots, great weather days! cheers!

Caught this guy in the Sound had many small ones but nothing like this
    IMG_8688.JPG

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Tinny, walleyes, grascal and 6 others like this.
  9. Reelin In The Years

Reelin In The Years Active Member

Looks like the silent but deadly, forward walking crab.

10. Matthias

Matthias Well-Known Member

Cool! bunch of good suggestions for mitigating seagull risk.. I like the decoy idea!!
    @Reeltime that thing looks like a miniature king crab!!

11. paguy

paguy Well-Known Member

Hey reeltime, How deep was the crab.

12. Reeltime

I caught that crab at 300' gonna try to target them next time out with a re rigged trap maybe hit a bigger one.

13. Reeltime

Sure does look like a King Crab, would make my day if we had King Crab around here, never know

14. Chasin' Dreams

Chasin' Dreams Well-Known Member

49789474_541414106360166_6280711589553242112_n.jpg
    It's a Tanner crab (Bairdi). I've been getting quite a few of them lately while prawning. Smaller ones mostly. This year is the only year I've been catching them all over Georgia Straight and Howe Sound even on the back sides of the Gulf Islands. All around the 300' depth as well.

I posted some pics of a bunch of small ones I got the other day on the Gulf Island report page. The ones I got in on this side of the straight were all clean, the ones I got over on the Gulf Island side had lot's of barnacles and worm sand tunnels on their shells.

Edit to add picture: Some small dirty Tanners I got over by the Gulf Islands. These ones were ugly compared to the ones on the other side of the straight. Don't know why though.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-especes/profiles-profils/tanner-crab-crabe-neiges-pac-eng.html

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Corey_lax likes this.
  15. Reeltime

Thought it was a Snow Crab at first, found out later it's a Tanner also, heard they're pretty tasty, looks like they're usually pretty deep
    from reading the link.

16. Chasin' Dreams

There's a few different types of Tanners Reeltime. These ones are Bairdi and can be shallow. They are known as the "inshore Tanner" The other Tanners are more deep water ones apparently according to that write up.

Saratoga, Limitles and Reeltime like this.
  17. Chasin' Dreams

I bet they are tasty. They commercially fish them in the Bering Sea.

18. Dorman Point

Dorman Point Active Member

One legal at Grace for us yesterday (Sunday). It was the only hit we had. Came on a herring aide spoon at 165’.

Rain City, Viking and Stizzla like this.
  19. Viking

Viking Active Member

That herring aide spoon has done well for you!

20. 63stingray

63stingray Active Member

We got into a nice bite up Howe Sound Managed 3 keepers and let a few go ,really good haul of prawns also as usual :) caught fish on had glow green flasher with a irish cream spoon and the other purple glow flasher with a herring aide both spoons ar emy go to last few years ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.