2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to everyone who gave me tips on prawning. Last weekend was my first go and I spent all Saturday and Sunday dropping my traps and testing locations. Starting to get it dialed in and did better over this weekend! Didn’t get any fishing in but we’ve got enough prawns to keep the family fed for tonight.

Attachments

• D03134D9-E92B-4FBC-B39B-21F9E5E0C02D.jpeg
    D03134D9-E92B-4FBC-B39B-21F9E5E0C02D.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 202
Thank you to everyone who gave me tips on prawning. Last weekend was my first go and I spent all Saturday and Sunday dropping my traps and testing locations. Starting to get it dialed in and did better over this weekend! Didn’t get any fishing in but we’ve got enough prawns to keep the family fed for tonight.
Nice man! How many sets was that? Did you just build the table?

Looking to buy line hauler for my traps, is the Scotty hauler any good, any feed back be greatly appreciated
Hauling by hand sucks and been told that when I stop for a breather all prawns get away, lot off work for dozen prawns for 4 traps

Looking to buy line hauler for my traps, is the Scotty hauler any good, any feed back be greatly appreciated
Hauling by hand sucks and been told that when I stop for a breather all prawns get away, lot off work for dozen prawns for 4 traps

The novelty of pulling weighted traps in by hand in chop and a current wears off real quick. Not sure about the Scotty but the Ace Brutus does a good job. I have the hands free attachment which makes coiling the line a bit easier. The hauler attaches to my Scotty downrigger base. I upgraded the fuse to handle the load.

Last edited:
My buddy has the the Scotty. It’s been going strong for a year and a half. He’s said that he would prefer a different hauler though.

I've tried both and the Ace is the winner for me. I also had to upgrade to a 40amp fuse in order to pull 2 weighted traps on one line.

I would also add that Ace provides great service. They basically rebuilt mine for about $100 after about 10 years of use!

Another vote for the ace with hands free attachment. Was looking at the scotty as well but the lack of a boom and the no hansfree option were both deal breakers for me. Scotty makes great downrigger. Hopefully they can come up with a better design in their potpuller to incorporate the areas that are missing with their current model.

However, due to the lack of a boom the scotty is low profile and doesn't get in the way on a smaller boat compared to boom designs. If you have the room go with a boom style hauler. The boom minimizes the chances you accidently smash the metal traps against the sides of your hull and saves your back from lifting the trap up and out of the water.

Last edited:
I’ve had experience with both, Ace is a better setup, especially with the coil attachment. I personally own the Scotty model though, found a used one online for $150. It works just fine and beats the hell out of hand bombing.

Merry Christmas and happy New Years to all.

Another vote for the ace with hands free attachment. Was looking at the scotty as well but the lack of a boom and the no hansfree option were both deal breakers for me. Scotty makes great downrigger. Hopefully they can come up with a better design in their potpuller to incorporate the areas that are missing with their current model.
Agreed! I've always thought they should make a dual purpose downrigger/puller...but maybe too much research and development required...o_O

Now if there was a company who sold a pot puller with a boom powered by a small profile and compact gas engine(smaller than the typically lawn mower motor) I'd be all over that. Even with latest version of the Ace motor.. They call it the max torque or something like that, the ace defineately slows down and will drain your battery fast if you have a heavy load struggling under a fast moving current and lots of line. Gas powered motor with a silencer, providing fast retrieval with no strain on battery, nice beefy boom with hands free, motorized base for pivot to bring the trap closer to boat and to raise and lower the boom... Now we are talking... And all at a reasonable price point... If that was possible I'd be the first customer. I'd ride right over to the store on my unicorn to buy the first unit.

Now if there was a company who sold a pot puller with a boom powered by a small profile and compact gas engine(smaller than the typically lawn mower motor) I'd be all over that. Even with latest version of the Ace motor.. They call it the max torque or something like that, the ace defineately slows down and will drain your battery fast if you have a heavy load struggling under a fast moving current and lots of line. Gas powered motor with a silencer, providing fast retrieval with no strain on battery, nice beefy boom with hands free, motorized base for pivot to bring the trap closer to boat and to raise and lower the boom... Now we are talking... And all at a reasonable price point... If that was possible I'd be the first customer. I'd ride right over to the store on my unicorn to buy the first unit.

That would be rad but the torque would probably rip the gunnells off half our boats lol. I always keep the main idling when I use our ace hauler, it will definitely drain a battery after 4 traps.

What's this hands free thing to help coil line? That's the least favourite part of prawning for me. I have the latest version of the ace too, time to rtfm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back