2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some dude looked to be doing something sketchy out by passage about an hour ago. White Campion with a hard top. Saw him dump a trap and take off as we rolled up. I could be wrong.

A few weeks ago I spoke to someone at passage. He told me he recently had all his prawn traps stolen. While it's still pretty low and disgraceful for someone to poach your prawns... I could live with that... But to have traps, line, buoy stolen is beyond belief and would infuriate me. If someone looks suspicious, don't be afraid to check it out. If it's harmless you end up havinga nice chat with a fellow boater.... I've gone up to boats and have engaged in conversation on a few occasions. It becomes apparent pretty quickly when someone is legit or whether they are up to no good. I hope it never gets to the point where I have to hover over top of my traps to prevent them from getting stolen.

A few weeks ago I spoke to someone at passage. He told me he recently had all his prawn traps stolen. While it's still pretty low and disgraceful for someone to poach your prawns... I could live with that... But to have traps, line, buoy stolen is beyond belief and would infuriate me. If someone looks suspicious, don't be afraid to check it out. If it's harmless you end up havinga nice chat with a fellow boater.... I've gone up to boats and have engaged in conversation on a few occasions. It becomes apparent pretty quickly when someone is legit or whether they are up to no good. I hope it never gets to the point where I have to hover over top of my traps to prevent them from getting stolen.
I pulled right up and did a few circles around him. This was after he dumped the trap and took off, he ended up stopping again a few hundred yards away and didn't notice me rolling up. He kept his head down in his phone the whole time I circled within 50 feet of him. Was clearly trying to hide his face. One white guy in his forties-ish with dark hair. Could have looked darker skinned, maybe just a tan.

I pulled right up and did a few circles around him. This was after he dumped the trap and took off, he ended up stopping again a few hundred yards away and didn't notice me rolling up. He kept his head down in his phone the whole time I circled within 50 feet of him. Was clearly trying to hide his face. One white guy in his forties-ish with dark hair. Could have looked darker skinned, maybe just a tan.

So, this “white guy, forties-ish, dark hair, in the campion with the hard top”...............

what exactly did he do that made you suspicious, as you “rolled up on him” ?

Dropped a trap, and left as you happened upon him ?
That’s it ?

I was out there today in a 14’ tinny and some dude in a 30’ commander was eyeballing me as I pulled my traps. He even came within a couple yards of me as I was pulling. Watched him for hours as he motored back & forth over his traps, obviously guarding them with his life. I couldn’t help but feel like he was suspicious of everyone around.....................

So, this “white guy, forties-ish, dark hair, in the campion with the hard top”...............

what exactly did he do that made you suspicious, as you “rolled up on him” ?

Dropped a trap, and left as you happened upon him ?
That’s it ?

I was out there today in a 14’ tinny and some dude in a 30’ commander was eyeballing me as I pulled my traps. He even came within a couple yards of me as I was pulling. Watched him for hours as he motored back & forth over his traps, obviously guarding them with his life. I couldn’t help but feel like he was suspicious of everyone around.....................
I don't know about guarding with his life ;). Hello Don good to meet you I guess. We dropped for a short while so really didn't have much to do while the potatoes were cooking.

So the guy. Well as we were patrolling back and forth between traps, looking for a fight, the guy looked like he was pulling his traps but then just launched the trap (float already in the water) and proceeded to get on the helm and literally floor it. I don't know that I could have pulled that off if I tried, from pulling to chucking to flooring in a matter of seconds. Just looked suspicious that's all. Sounds like from the message from another member I may have jumped the guy that emptied his trap. But maybe not. Maybe I'm just an asshole looking for a fight. Anyways next time come say hi Don, always great to see other members out there.

Lots of thieving going on out there.... more then the usual pull someone’s traps and throw em back down .... people are stealing the whole setups which can be upwards over $1000 so it’s not unusual to see a guy guarding there own traps. It’s pretty sad that it’s come to that but until there’s any actual enforcement or consequences it’s the only way to protect your investment. A good buddy of mine had all his traps lines and floats stolen a little while back, so expect to see more guys sitting on there gear this year.

I don't know about guarding with his life ;). Hello Don good to meet you I guess. We dropped for a short while so really didn't have much to do while the potatoes were cooking.

So the guy. Well as we were patrolling back and forth between traps, looking for a fight, the guy looked like he was pulling his traps but then just launched the trap (float already in the water) and proceeded to get on the helm and literally floor it. I don't know that I could have pulled that off if I tried, from pulling to chucking to flooring in a matter of seconds. Just looked suspicious that's all. Sounds like from the message from another member I may have jumped the guy that emptied his trap. But maybe not. Maybe I'm just an asshole looking for a fight. Anyways next time come say hi Don, always great to see other members out there.

Nothing wrong with checking out suspicious behaviour. If we all watch out for one another the few scumbags who pull this **** perhaps may decide its not worthwhile to do it anymore. Yeah, no reason for someone to retrieve a pot and then launch it back into the water before the pot surfaces. Was he pulling by hand or using a puller?

lol, Next time I will. I kinda thought that was you based on a few of your earlier posts.

I set and pull pretty frequently when I’m out there.
Bouncing back & forth between strings, pulling, re baiting...... lately, I’ve found 2 hour soaks to be as effective as overnight soaks. ( I might throw in a salmon carcass or a head for longer soaks, to see if it keeps them in there. That’s my next experiment.)

Today I had to circle back on both strings right after I dropped them, because I forgot to clip on a weight on each line below the buoy. What might have looked like suspicious behaviour to one guy, could actually be an act of courtesy for everyone else.

Poachers and thieves definitely suck, and are out there, and vigilance is a good thing. But letting that mentality dictate your day and interactions with other like minded outdoorsmen kind of throws a wet blanket on the whole experience, in my opinion.

I think the vast majority of folks who would scrape the ice off their boats this time of year and freeze their asses off, are out because they love it and are dedicated to this way of life, and are good people.

I hope I’m right about that.

EDIT: To keep this a relevant report, in the reports thread, I’ve found the prawning to be mediocre in the last 3 days in outer Howe sound. I prawned for 3 days in a row. No stolen traps.

Last edited:
I was at lgm yesterday winterizing the boat so this is second hand news but 2 boats came in with nice winter springs from the freighters. I was hoping to head out today but no go. With the cooler temps this week I figured it's time for the pink stuff so hopefully there's a chance to hit it before the holidays...seems fishy to me too!

I was at lgm yesterday winterizing the boat so this is second hand news but 2 boats came in with nice winter springs from the freighters. I was hoping to head out today but no go. With the cooler temps this week I figured it's time for the pink stuff so hopefully there's a chance to hit it before the holidays...seems fishy to me too!
good to hear theres some fish being caught around the freighters

No just set a few traps after lunch for ***** and giggles. Still working the kinks out. Once I figure out this prawning thing again I'll put in some full fishing days without the traps. I like to focus on one thing :) What a day today though! **** on a plate.
This forum is meant for fishing reports and not prawning reports. Can you take it somewhere else please!:eek::eek:

Tried tunstall, grace and tennis courts to HITW yesterday. Nothing but a rockfish. Didn’t find any bait.
There was a gathering inside of hut island so they might have been into something. Didn’t check it out as it’s pretty rocky there.
However I read in Friday’s PA report that they had a double header somewhere in Howe sound sometime this week on a lure in the water.

When fishing the "freighters" do you just loop around inside them or is there somewhere specific that you fish? I notice there is a bit of a shelf that shallows up to about 90 ft form 135.

When fishing the "freighters" do you just loop around inside them or is there somewhere specific that you fish? I notice there is a bit of a shelf that shallows up to about 90 ft form 135.
Try near the QB

Freighters; 1) QB marker to the 1st mile marker, as long as no westerly swells. some crossing traffic here...
or better yet (usually)
2) 1st to 2nd mile marker, 140' to 160' of water, 140' to 160' of cable. not to close to bottom or you will get flounders, unlike Howe Sound. traffic more parallel here.
the mile markers are stanchions that mark the beach along the southern shoreline, and are inline with the bell buoy.

Last edited:
Freighters; 1) QB marker to the 1st mile marker, as long as no westerly swells. some crossing traffic here...
or better yet (usually)
2) 1st to 2nd mile marker, 140' to 160' of water, 140' to 160' of cable. not to close to bottom or you will get flounders, unlike Howe Sound. traffic more parallel here.
Thanks. Excuse my ignorance here, but I know where QB marker is but have no idea where the 1st and 2nd mile markers are?
As long as weather holds will be heading out Saturday and will give this a try..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back