2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Discussion in '2019 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2019.

1. RiverBoy

RiverBoy Well-Known Member

You, of all people are kidding, right?

2. Was out fishing the sound in the usual places, close to bottom. Slow

Defence to Anvil, Lots of bait, not balled up, no chinook to take out for a walk

3. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Lots of berried ladies out there now guys. Prawning isn't really worth it I'd say. Packing my gear up until after they spawn now. Threw back more than half today.

hippaisland and BarryA like this.
  4. DFordello

DFordello New Member

This is my first fall/winter fishing season, just wondering when does the fishing start to pick up again?

5. reeltordarius

reeltordarius Active Member

We got ~125 spotties with a 2 hour soak on Monday. Also 8 crab.... beautiful day on the water and tested out the new heater....:)

hippaisland and Rain City like this.
  6. Pippen

Pippen Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say fishing for the winter/feeder springs ever really "picks up" but if you put your time out there you may scratch a few up these days. I would say you may see it start to "pick up" in March as if memory serves me correct it started to do this year; but remember we're talking about salmon.....you just never know.

As has been said, cover water, find the bait and generally you're fishing deep down near bottom. Howe Sound is generally where you want to be; West side of Bowen, Grace or if you want to make the run up to Defense on the north end of Anvil. Some do just try in English Bay as well.

If you do get a legal they are damn fine eating when fresh. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  7. the butcher

the butcher Member

Good to hear. Was the 8 keeper crabs or just 8 crabs in the pots? Was thinking of getting the Cobb webs off the crab pots

marbledmurrelet likes this.
  8. reeltordarius

Keeper crabs...6 others tossed back

9. the butcher

the butcher Member

why is windy.com so often inaccurate? I find environment canada to be accurate as a short term forecast and ok for long term within the next 2 days or so... however, I quite often find windy to be way off. For example, as of right now, the environment canada marine forecast is showing a current reading of 2knot winds at halibut bank but windy is showing almost 7knot winds... What do you guys find to be the best predictor of wind conditions within a 2 day window?

10. Sir Reel

Sir Reel Well-Known Member

All those sites use computer generated models based on data that comes from environment Canada. I had a 35 year EC meteorologist tell me that at a Canadian Power Squadron weather course I took. Great course if you have time.
    I believe that all of them err on the high wind side from a safety aspect.
    Environment Canada may have a gale warning tomorrow in the strait of a Georgia with 30 knot winds.
    There might be a 70% chance of that but also a 10% chance of glass calm. You would not want the forecast to be for no winds.
    The best thing to do is to look at multiple forecasts and of course current conditions and reports from members is best.

BCRingo and islandboy like this.
  11. sweettjim

sweettjim Member

I always check windy as well as environment Canada be crappy make the tow of the boat all the way there and its crappy and cant get out or a good launch if its crappy in Georgia strait is the sunset marina launch up in howe sound

12. Sir Reel

Sir Reel Well-Known Member

It’s always nice to have members reports or pictures of current conditions at their location.

13. sweettjim

sweettjim Member

I agree if anyone else is out there

14. Teja

Teja Well-Known Member

Pretty little 8 lb winter spring courtesy of Tunstall Bay this a.m. ... BBQ is fired up and we are really looking forward to lunch. FDF66111-EA4B-4715-B35B-85871EB40E94.jpeg

DFordello, Bben, ronin2024 and 14 others like this.
  15. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Yes! Atta boy

Teja likes this.
  16. reeltordarius

Chovies or spoons?

17. sweettjim

sweettjim Member

awesome nice catch u get any undersize as well? what did u get him on?

18. hippaisland

hippaisland Well-Known Member

If anyone’s heading back in for the day up the south arm I just heard at sandheads there’s a 42’ boat dead in the water anchored just south of breakwall. Believe they’re hoping for a tow back into river.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  19. Teja

Teja Well-Known Member

Skinny G
    Two undersized. There wasn’t a lot of bait in Tunstall this a.m. ... saw more in the Harbour on the way out this a.m. but resisted the temptation to stop and drop the lines.

Rain City, BCRingo and ab1752 like this.
  20. the butcher

the butcher Member

last year I recall a few times where there were quite a number of large prawns with eggs on underside. We try to sort them out as quickly as possible in order to release back into the water. When released back into the water they never seem to do all that well... Looks like the may flap their tail once or twice max... Then they just don't move and slowly drift down under the boat. Do the prawns that are release have a good chance at surviving? I've heard from a commercial fishermen a while back that prawns pulled from the deep dont have a very good shot at surviving when released back into the water. If this is the case, is there anything that can be done to increase their survival rates when released back?