2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it affects people differently. Body make up and so on. I've been on the salt and in boats all my life. Only times I felt sick or got sick was when I was quite young and then when I was late teens early adult, due to stupidity of staying up all night drinking thinking it would be no problem with 2 or 3 hrs of sleep. In those two stroke days I wouldn't even get past the launch with all the exhaust before starting to feel it. These days its the 2.5 to 3.5 chop with tight waves that just constantly pound the boat. I feel it in my head mostly. Not physical just tiresome of that constant pounding. Aging sucks.

questions for you seasoned veterans on the water. I've been boating for a few years now and I am not sure if my sea legs are getting any better... After the 1st year I was getting more comfortable when the conditions kicked up... but even now after the 4th year of boating, I still get nauseous and get the early signs of sea sickness... Like today with the pretty rough chop out there... Do most people eventually get to a point where no matter how rough it gets they don't get sea sick any longer?

Take some meclizine, it will be your friend.

Is there side effects? Anyone out at sandheads today and if so what do you think was the approx size of the waves out there?

questions for you seasoned veterans on the water. I've been boating for a few years now and I am not sure if my sea legs are getting any better... After the 1st year I was getting more comfortable when the conditions kicked up... but even now after the 4th year of boating, I still get nauseous and get the early signs of sea sickness... Like today with the pretty rough chop out there... Do most people eventually get to a point where no matter how rough it gets they don't get sea sick any longer?

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/sea-sickness-and-its-remedies.76562/

It just does not effect me at all. Last time I was sea sick was in 1980 in the middle of the Med in a smokey 2 stroke seagull powered 14 foot punt 20 miles off shore. In that case it was fumes I believe. I think the problem is once you get it, you start to anticipate you're going to get it. And when the conditions are similar to a previous event, bang, it's imprinted in your memory. It's more mental than physical. I notice however if I start putting my rods up in the rocket launchers looking skyward I can get a little discombobulated. Thats because I've taken my eyes off the horizon. My wife gets it sure as sh*t every time we get into the fish. I am certain she plans it this way. My best buddy after 35 years of fishing together is now getting it. He drops some dope now every time we go out just in case.

Last edited:
I had air sickness (do paragliding around Pemberton and 1 flight can take up to 9 hours). Roughly after 3 hours in flight I was experiencing air sickness. Ginger helps, when you start feeling bad, just put in to your mouth and you sgould feel better, also try to avoid loking down in the boat. You can try tea with ginger as well.

My experience is that if you stay out on the sea for days, your body will eventually adapt, but once you step ashore it starts all over again. Get the meclazine.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll work on it since there are days where I wish I had the stomach to endure the tossing and turning. Do you have it take that drug the night before?

I am sure being in an aluminum boat doesn't help the cause. Perhaps it's only due to perspective but looking at other fibreglass boats of thr same size, they seem to rock alot less than do aluminums. Likely due to the difference in weight and hull design.

Saw about 6 boats braving it out at SH today for the short time I was there. Anyone hookup on any fish?

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll work on it since there are days where I wish I had the stomach to endure the tossing and turning. Do you have it take that drug the night before?

I am sure being in an aluminum boat doesn't help the cause. Perhaps it's only due to perspective but looking at other fibreglass boats of thr same size, they seem to rock alot less than do aluminums. Likely due to the difference in weight and hull design.

Saw about 6 boats braving it out at SH today for the short time I was there. Anyone hookup on any fish?
I like how you added the pseudo report there :p

until I get my proper sea legs unfortunately you won't be getting any detailed reports (if any) from me in heavy chop conditions.

Gravol the night before and meclizine in the morning.

Good info in the thread link shared above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back