2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to saltwater salmon fishing.. Wondering if the fishing at the south arm will be good till end of September. This is my first year so I have no past years experience to go by.

New to saltwater salmon fishing.. Wondering if the fishing at the south arm will be good till end of September. This is my first year so I have no past years experience to go by.
Fishing will taper off typically as September goes along. Read the archived reports. Good info in them.

Wondering if there is any action closer to home around the PA or is still mainly T10/Sandheads? Got 4 hours on Sunday morning to kill.

Hit the Cap or Bell will be perfect flood in the morning...
Thanks will give it a shot. Anchovies are salting... gear is ready... looking forward to it. Been out twice before this year and I'm 0:0. Mostly getting used to the gear. I've been trying to stack the rods. More problems than it's worth (for me) which has been killing my time. Two rods - anchovies, will keep it simple this time.

Great fish by Jason at PA! Some guys (like him) have earned the benefit of the doubt to make a decision on when/if to keep or release and fish and it sounds like this fish was extremely tired (and perhaps bleeding??) with very little chance of successful revival. We all fish for the chance to hook into a beauty like this and had the fish been full of energy when it hit the net I would guess the end result would be different. Pretty cool to see a few hogs like this at Vancouver's front door and while this particular one won't go on to spawn I think Jason has done more than his share to help out with salmon conservation efforts.

Now, we all know these hogs travel in pairs so let's go catch (and release) that other one! :)
Great post! Well said!

Fished T10-NA from 11-3. Only one wild coho - 85’ in 300’ of water. Very slow for us today. Gorgeous day out there though.

Fished sand heads today. 4 out of 4. 45-70 on the riggers. 150-180 feet of water. Couple pinks as well. Such a nice calm day. First spring was quite an acrobat. Last one ripped around the boat and tangled in both downrigers. Had to do some rod manoeuvring to get it free and managed to land it

Attachments

• A9D9D3A8-DB66-431C-8905-E042ABAA764E.jpeg
    A9D9D3A8-DB66-431C-8905-E042ABAA764E.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 29
What time did you guys have a good bite on. Don’t want to get up too early, couple weeks ago it was a real late bite for us. 2-4pm? Need a day of rest, but still want to go fishing.

Went out for my solo fish in a little while and dropped the lines at 7am at T10 between 35 ft and 50 ft and did a first pass with nothing showing on the screen at that depth but with a lot of activity between 80 ft and 125 ft. Dropped one line to 100 ft on the second pass and immediately hooked a 14lb marble and re-baited and dropped that line to 100ft again and within a minute hit a 19lb white. Then decided to troll back towards North Arm and do a little catch and release and quickly hit and released a mid teener at 35 ft followed by a grilse that arguably was smaller than the anchovy that it hit.

At that point, I figured I would just pull up and head in but the mind’s typical “just another few minutes” messaging took over. Fifteen minutes later off of Iona I was absolutely slammed by a big, big hog whose initial screaming run went well into braid on the reel that had never seen the water before. A real funny fish ... it just sat a long ways out from the boat and for a few minutes just shook its head and would not budge. At point, I put the rod in the holder, turned the engine off, popped both downriggers up and figured I might as well enjoy a battle. Strangest fish I have had in a while ... what folllowed was 25 minutes of absolute resistance and head shaking and a very slow retrieve of the braid but no further long runs. Greatest feeling of the day was seeing my largest fish of the year approach the boat calmly so I could lean over and pop the hook and watch him swim away.

Fifteen minutes later off of Iona I was absolutely slammed by a big, big hog whose initial screaming run went well into braid on the reel that had never seen the water before. A real funny fish ... it just sat a long ways out from the boat and for a few minutes just shook its head and would not budge. At point, I put the rod in the holder, turned the engine off, popped both downriggers up and figured I might as well enjoy a battle. Strangest fish I have had in a while ... what folllowed was 25 minutes of absolute resistance and head shaking and a very slow retrieve of the braid but no further long runs. Greatest feeling of the day was seeing my largest fish of the year approach the boat calmly so I could lean over and pop the hook and watch him swim away.
Sounds like a big White they can be real sulkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back