2019 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people are saying ‘easy limits’ or ‘Chinook galore’ in Area 123-5, are they meaning retention? Where is the boundary for retention at Wya and or the trench shown in the photo previously in this thread.

Can anyone give me tips of what type of areas to try for Halibut thats not too far out. Is it a certain depth or bottom is a plateau beside a deep valley etc? Seems like the type of fishing the wife and kid could handle. Only caught one small one by accident jigging for Lings.

We have caught Hali’s in Florencia Bay, anchoring in the Sandy bottom between the island and shoreline. With all the squid around it might be a worthwhile gamble. Also if you head due west from Way you can catch Hali where the shelf drops off from 200 feet. Look for the commercial crab and shrimp pots.

Just got home. Boiling crabs in the garage., so why not get caught up? They made it home alive (barely) in a cotton gracery bag on ice. 14 hours out of water.
Very few sportboats, quite a few guides out. Maybe everyone is keeping it a secret since the current tacks are tight when crowded.
For those that have fished big bank and it's busy with shakers, cohos, smalls, cookie cutters, and the occassional monster,
well that's how Flo Island was on Friday and Saturday. Very clear water approaching 60 deg F. I found that a small shiny green wee G (change the hook!) was better than anything glow. Coho killer was good too. Got one on a turd at Wya, before going out to Flo. Didn't go back Sunday or Monday, since I was done on springs. There are coho at the mouth of Ukee harbour (springs too). Sur-vivor, I caught a chinook and a coho on your flutter jigs, while searching for lings, had to shake them.
Nothing to report for hali, except a bunch of dogfish and a hell of a nap.
+20 too small lings.
Perfect weather. Not too hot, not much rain, no fog, small swell and no wind.

My family and I cruised out to the Rats nose (Big Bank) today in search of Halibut. We were trolling the larger 6 inch Brown Turds 60 inches behind a UV Black flasher and had to move as we couldn’t get out of the Springers. After 45 minutes we released at least a dozen Springs, all in the 20 pound plus category. We hate sitting on the hook and using spreader bars with heavy weights and or heavy jigs so we figured trolling the 220 Foot depths with such large bait would keep the salmon away, boy were we wrong. We did catch our 4 Halibut a little further west in deeper water.

I know we are not supposed to talk about Lingers however we made a stop at one of our favorite deep water panicles on the way back to port where we released a huge Ling at least 50 inches long. It was hanging onto a rockfish that was unfortunate enough to bite our jig.

It was a nice trip, we will be sitting on Rats Nose Monday morning before sunrise.

48 35 560

125 39 315

The Springers shown below were caught last night at the Way Trench...

Wya Springers.gif

My family and I cruised out to the Rats nose (Big Bank) today in search of Halibut. We were trolling the larger 6 inch Brown Turds 60 inches behind a UV Black flasher and had to move as we couldn’t get out of the Springers. After 45 minutes we released at least a dozen Springs, all in the 20 pound plus category. We hate sitting on the hook and using spreader bars with heavy weights and or heavy jigs so we figured trolling the 220 Foot depths with such large bait would keep the salmon away, boy were we wrong. We did catch our 4 Halibut a little further west in deeper water.

I know we are not supposed to talk about Lingers however we made a stop at one of our favorite deep water panicles on the way back to port where we released a huge Ling at least 50 inches long. It was hanging onto a rockfish that was unfortunate enough to bite our jig.

It was a nice trip, we will be sitting on Rats Nose Monday morning before sunrise.

48 35 560

125 39 315

View attachment 46244
Beauty fish. Congrats

48 35 560

125 39 315

View attachment 46244

Awesome report!!! The days cant come fast enough for our trip to the area!!

48 35 560

125 39 315

View attachment 46244

Your daughter is weighing that down.
Jkjkjk
Awesome haul.
Went out to Flo this morning and lost a few, let a bunch of coho go and limited out on Chinook. All in about two hours. Fish seems to come in waves but I think there's just so much squid there, that you really need to entice them.
Caught most suspended 45ft in 50fow which made for some awesome runs.
Biggest was about 25#s avg 12-15.

My family and I spend 3 to 4 weeks every year fishing and sightseeing in Ucluelet and are never disappointed. During this time we always have friends rotate thru to enjoy the great fishing and beauty the area has to offer. We have been in Ucluelet now for about a week so I thought I would share a few of our fishing days.

Saturday - Day 1

We arrived at Island West and launched the boat at 2:00 Saturday and headed to little beach for a couple hours and brought back a few nice springs. All our hits came on 3.5 inch green / white glow coyote spoons between 65 and 77 feet. Arive Day 1.jpg

Fish Day 1.jpg

Sunday - Day 2

We went to Wya for the morning tide and fished the trench and brought back a nice springer. On the way back to port we stopped at a few rocky spots out front of Amphitrite light house and caught a couple nice Lings and black bass. We headed out to South Bank in the afternoon bouncing our down rigger balls off the bottom and ended up bringing back 3 nice halibut using glow flashers and glow hoochies tipped with squid.

canada 112.jpg

canada 125.jpg

Great report Fishchaser.

I was out by Wya on Sat morning. Got a 19lb and 13lb about 2 hours after low tide. Release a couple nice size wild coho. 19 was on a white glow hoochie on a green flasher and the 13 was on anchovy in teaser head with not flasher. We should start seeing reports on the outside soon. 123 opened up today for Chinook.

Starfish was on fire early Monday morning, 6 of us landed 12 Springs in about an hour. Sad to say we had to release 2 wild Chinook that were close to or over the 80 cm max. Released a few nice size Pinks and a (wild) Coho. All the Springs were caught on either 4 inch Green / Nickel Coyote spoons and green stryper hot spot flashers or 4 inch Blue / Nickel Coyote spoons and blue stryper flashers. We tied the spoons 54 inches behind the flashers, seemed to be the hot combo early this morning.

Salmon 3.jpg

Starfish was on fire early Monday morning, 6 of us landed 12 Springs in about an hour. Sad to say we had to release 2 wild Chinook that were close to or over the 80 cm max. Released a few nice size Pinks and a (wild) Coho. All the Springs were caught on either 4 inch Green / Nickel Coyote spoons and green stryper hot spot flashers or 4 inch Blue / Nickel Coyote spoons and blue stryper flashers. We tied the spoons 54 inches behind the flashers, seemed to be the hot combo early this morning.

View attachment 46321

These regulations are confusing lol I could have sworn starfish has a slot limit and you can only keep one per person? Not trying to be "that guy", just get clarification. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back