2019 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
are the squid still around the harbor at the beginning of August? The kids would have a blast in the evening doing that when we are there.

Watch your traps. Looks like its that time of year again. Went to check my crab trap in the harbor today and it's gone. Left it out over night which usually isn't an issue, but guess it was only a matter of time. Prawn trap went missing last year.

What's the ground fish situation around Ucluelet. I'm thinking of heading out there with my kayak in a week or so? Any ok spots close to the town ?

Chinook galore at Florencia and Wya. Limited out in an hour. Raining cats and dogs finally too but it made for a wet hour. As for crab traps coming up missing, I've left mine out every night the last 2 weeks and it's always there for me when I go looking for it. Might be empty sometimes but it's there.

Easy limits at Florencia, also landed a couple nice Hali's trolling the trench while fishing for Springs.
If I may ask, were your Florencia fish 'Squid fish'? We are there for our yearly week starting the 7th, so nice to hear fish are there too. Not asking for numbers, but not heard of the 'Trench'. An added Hali would be fantastic. General location? Thanks, Tuna Maru

Chinook galore at Florencia and Wya. Limited out in an hour. Raining cats and dogs finally too but it made for a wet hour. As for crab traps coming up missing, I've left mine out every night the last 2 weeks and it's always there for me when I go looking for it. Might be empty sometimes but it's there.

Great to hear they're coming through. I'll be taking some friends out from the mainland this weekend. What was the bait of choice?

Wonder if my missing crab trap had anything to do with all the sides being zip tied closed except one. Even I have problems figuring out which one opens. Maybe they thought they were all zip tied and it was quicker to just take the whole thing instead of emptying it out. Oh well, I guess they needed it more than me.

We caught our Springer's and Hali on Anchovies with a teaser head 54 inches behind UV flashers. The trench shown in this picture is between 60 and 80 feet deep, we generally fish depths 45 to 55 feet. I strongly suggest you make a couple of practices runs following your chart and depth sounder before dropping or gear or you could easily donate your gear to the fish gods. I believe the halibut were migrating there way through following bait as this is not a traditional area for them. We have caught halibut on the sandy bottom inside the bay however this was a first for us. Trench.jpg

Thank you so much fishchaser. That was much more than I expected. Looking at my chart, that 'looked like' a trench, but obviously wasn't sure. Because of all the squid at Florencia last year, we tried fishing it with big squid hoochies, but never got bit by Springs, only Black Bass. After noticing the tiny bait, we did better, actually great, at Cree with Herring Aide Coho Killers. As you mentioned, the whole area is a 'ball stealer' if you aren't careful. We are getting much more comfortable running over an area a couple of times using our Bathy chart update feature, then using split screen with charts and fish finder once we drop gear. Those 'bumps' in the middle of nowhere are expensive killers.
Thanks again. We are really looking forward to the 7th. Tuna Maru

Salmon and halibut fishing is pretty consistent with some nice size Chinook being boated Coho as well. Usual along the rocks spots out front.

Was at Wya with this morning for a few hours. Picked up a nice spring and a couple of good coho. Lots of boats out there till the fog set in. Sure is nice having the radar working. For the coho we ran a long line with a couple of small bullet weights. Had an anchovy in a teaser head on the end. Couldn't have been lower than 10ft below the surface, but way back behind the boat.

Can anyone give me tips of what type of areas to try for Halibut thats not too far out. Is it a certain depth or bottom is a plateau beside a deep valley etc? Seems like the type of fishing the wife and kid could handle. Only caught one small one by accident jigging for Lings.

I'll try to remember to pm you if I find one Friday. How's the fog going to be Fri-Mon?. Swells/wind look smallish.

Can anyone give me tips of what type of areas to try for Halibut thats not too far out. Is it a certain depth or bottom is a plateau beside a deep valley etc? Seems like the type of fishing the wife and kid could handle. Only caught one small one by accident jigging for Lings.
You could go inside if they aren’t into offshore fishing. There’s lots of areas that you can catch Hali. Try some spots but be ready to lose some gear if that pinnacle is actually very rocky and snagging all your gear.

Check out great bear rock and alley rock. Look for the humps and target high tides an hour before and after. It's a pretty well known spot but good luck getting any more intel then that from anyone.

You can always go offshore and troll the bottom. Have done quite well doing it. You will also pick up some nice Springs while your at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back