2019 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over in Ukee for a week, going to head out for a fish with the kids and hoping to find the odd mussel and/or oyster, can anyone shed some light on closures as stated on fish BC app, seems like conflicting info, some parts say mussels and oysters open, whereas under mussels heading it says all closed for area 23??
You may want to check with the local DFO office to see if the latest testing was ok as mussels are the worst for PSP

I was out taking the boat for a test on Sat and ran into a huge school of Black Rockfish (Sea bass/Black bass) bubbling on the surface over by Food Islets. Easy pickins casting and jigging a Mac Deep. They were feeding on tiny crab looking things. Would only bite casting outside the frenzy of action. Didn't try for salmon. Water was pretty rough. Crabbing seems to mostly be Red Rocks. Last year was all Dungenous.

Last edited:
Took a friend and his dad out for a couple hours before sun down today. Trolled out in front of Mussel Beach in 160 ft of water and the down riggers at 80 to 90ft. First hour lost 2 small keepers near the boat. Angler was a bit too anxious and didn't play them much. Both got off just as they got to the surface. Got both of them on anchovies with glow teaser heads. Nothing for next 30 mins so grabbed the prawn trap to find 2 small prawns and 2 slime eels. Stopped at Food Islets on the way home to find the Black Rockfish still splashing around on the surface. Caught a few and lost a few lures in the process. Got a couple nice Dungenous in the harbour as a bonus too.

No salmon in the boat today, but nice to know they're out there and close to home.

Last edited:
Oops! Didn’t fish much last weekend trolled bottom for Hali inside but only one small one released. Had big problems with prawn traps being pulled & dumped at Seashard channel over a few days & then my buddies & mine were missing ???? Just received a picture of traps in bush from a few days ago & yes are our traps but long gone now. Someone checking & taking traps that is going back to Toquort ! Hmmmmm !!!! Keep your eyes open out there ! Prawns are good when we got our traps.

Oops! Didn’t fish much last weekend trolled bottom for Hali inside but only one small one released. Had big problems with prawn traps being pulled & dumped at Seashard channel over a few days & then my buddies & mine were missing ???? Just received a picture of traps in bush from a few days ago & yes are our traps but long gone now. Someone checking & taking traps that is going back to Toquort ! Hmmmmm !!!! Keep your eyes open out there ! Prawns are good when we got our traps.

Attachments

• ED650B37-06E6-4D2B-8E4B-CC7C583A3BDB.jpeg
    ED650B37-06E6-4D2B-8E4B-CC7C583A3BDB.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 189
I don't know if this applies here, but last season, I overheard a commercial prawn guy saying that he routinely pulls rec. traps & throws them on shore if they are near where he wants to put his string.

We were prawning in Sechart Channel over the long weekend and had one of our strings go missing as well. Brutal to hear this is going on after many many years of no issues at all.

I don't know if this applies here, but last season, I overheard a commercial prawn guy saying that he routinely pulls rec. traps & throws them on shore if they are near where he wants to put his string.
I don't believe for a minute that a commercial guy would do this. They have enough to do with there own gear. Yes they may set over your gear and tangle up but pull it, not likely.

Only passing along what I heard, first hand, from a guy I know is a commercial prawn fisher. He seemed to think he was within his rights to do so.

Anyone seeing salmon out there? Went yesterday by Mussel Beach. Not even a sniff. Not seeing much bait either though.

The squid are active in the harbor. Went out 2 nights ago and got skunked, but a bunch of kids hooked a bunch down the dock from me. They were kind enough to show me the technique and gear. They were using either single or double jigs. My multi inline jig was useless.

Made it out today for our first Ukee trip of 2019. Up at 0100 to do it as a day trip. Makes for a long day but with all the east side chinook closures you have to adapt. We got our 2 hali fairly early and then joined the boats at Austin and Cree. Lost 2 right away and then finally put a small (64cm) fish in the boat. We pulled the pin around 2 to start the long slog back down island. Hopefully things will turn on any day.

With the reports of squid around is nobody fishing Wya Point and Wreck Bay (Florencia)?

Cheers!

Ukee
I was headed to Wya on Saturday morning, but the swell was a bit too nasty so decided to turn around. Seems it was a good call as a small boat (prob 18ft) with 4 guys waved us down on the way back. Boat was dead in the water floating near Jenny Reef. I jumped on board and assisted with getting their kicker down so they could get back to the harbor. Then as I was getting back to my boat their main engine finally started. Let's just say these guys and the boat had no business being out there. Sketchy boat and equipment (not tested prior) is an understatement. Saw them bbqing at a house by 52 steps last night so I know they got back OK.

Anyway we headed over to Bamfield side (Cree then Kirby). Had a few small ones on the lines. Might have been keepers, but not really worth bringing on board for a measurement. Seemed to be the same for all the other boats around us too. Was using an anchovy on one side and a small lure on the other. Both were getting hits. No fish, but got a couple dozen prawns on the way home.

Hoping to get over to Wya this week in the evening. Father in-law is only in for another week from South America. Would like to get him into a nice Spring before he leaves. Saw some nice size fish at the dock yesterday so they are out there.

With the reports of squid around is nobody fishing Wya Point and Wreck Bay (Florencia)?

Cheers!

Ukee

Fished Wya yesterday, hit some fish in the morning. Fish are not on the squid yet even though they’re around (seems heavier concentrations on the Bamfield side). No one was in Florencia. Fish were eating needlefish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back