2019 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appreciate any reports when you get there mid week. We will be there next weekend. Best of luck

I will for sure....there are some good early morning tides coming up next week starting Wednesday thru to the weekend ! I'll be bringing anchovies this time, I find they can make the diffrence if it has slowed down.

Last edited:
Didn't hear about Wya today except for two boats weren't happy there. Flo Isl was good for us. Some were 25lbs. All on bait. Done for the year.

was out a rats nose sat, hunting halis.. we had a double header on and then Sammy the seal showed up...20 miles out.....gees, lost one got second one...got a pair of halis and couple large hatch cohos… then shifted to WYA and got spring limit in 90 minutes of gong show fishing in light chop, and brilliant sun in yur face. every boat around us had fish. very happy, today banged our way out in the lump and had 2 fish over 20 in boat in 90 mins after tuff battle which included several laps around or under boat... then had to head in.. back out Monday..

Careful at Wya point, Wya rock, double header rock and the grapefruit (all around Wya)
I fed a sealion over and over again yesterday. Couldn't get a fish to the boat to save my life. Lost a few hoochie rigs and a flasher too. ******* followed us around for 3 hours until I finally called it and ran away from him.
Almost thought I was going to have to use my machete too, the thing got so close and lunged at me and hit my cannon ball when I went to get my clip.
Lady at the fish cleaning station reported he's been a problem lately too.

Still fish out at Wya. Went out for a couple hours before sundown yesterday. Picked up a couple Springs in the mid teens using anchovies at 50 to 60ft. Saw lots of other boats hooking up too.

A bit slow at Wya today. Out since day light. Only 2 teens in the box. Not seeing too many hookups on the other boats either. 30+ boats out here.

Has anyone been out? It's getting pretty late. We are looking at a shot for tuna but a plan b would be nice if the weather doesn't let us out.

What’s the best campground with attached mooring in the Ukee area? Also, best weeks in August to fish? Planning for next year. Want to book now....I have a 20’ Grady. Will be bringing the wife and kids. Kids ages 6&4 by then.
Thanks

Not allot of options out there except for Island West Marina if you’re looking for a full service one stop campground, moorage and fish freezing capabilities. Although my family and I stay at Island West every summer, we stay on our boat for the month and are fully self-contained. The only reason we use Island West is they have the only guaranteed moorage for a boat of our size as well as fish freezing facilities. Years ago Island West was the premier place to stay in Ucluelet however years of mismanagement and no reinvestment into the facilities not to mention selling out to owners from China the place is not what I would consider family usable. The last time we used the campground was in 2010, when we stayed for a month in a 5th wheel trailer and moored our 23 foot Grady. The campground did not have any grass and very dusty and is in even worse shape now. The circuit breakers continually tripped anytime we would use our air conditioner or microwave so we basically were forced to run our generator. The campground only has 4 or 5 sites with sewer hookups so if you are not able to reserve on of those sites you will have to use the shower facilities which are not the cleanest.

For a boat of your size I would recommend staying at Ucluelet campground and find moorage at the government dock next door. The government dock has great fish cleaning facilities as well as shore power and water. The facilities at the Ucluelet campground are clean, grassy and shaded with nice views. Although the government doc does not guarantee moorage or the same spot every night the Harbour Master Kevin Cortes, will get you a spot even if you have to raft and side tie to another boat.

I would recommend making your reservations today as mid-July and Early August is prime time and generally booked a year in advance.

Government Dock Contact info:

Ucluelet Campground Info:

Island West is what it is, but it is unfair to say there have been no improvements. Every campsite has power and water now. The lower area has been mostly paved, which has really cut down on the dust.
The showers are only as dirty as people leave them after their daily cleaning, plus the temperature control and water pressure, two key ingredients to a good shower, are top notch.
I like it there. What I don't like are the long stayers who play games with their limits, and the lack of talent at the fillet tables. But most people are friendly and do it right.

I am an Island West fan, as I said we stay there between 3 to 5 weeks annually. I have been going to Island West annually since 1992 and have seen the place go downhill. When we first started going there it was for 4 or 5 days and we stayed in the hotel rooms. I more than agree people should always try and leave the place (Bathroom & Laundry) as clean as they would their own house however unfortunately that isn’t the case.

As our boats increased in size over the years we have stayed longer and longer as we love the fishing, wildlife and lifestyle the sunshine coast has to offer and even plan on living there 6 months a year when I retire. I haven’t had any bad experiences with long stayers as you mentioned and have become good friends with a few. To us this is more of a lifestyle than hobby. This past year this long stayer put more than 14K USD into the local economy, not to mention the money our guests spent during their visits.

I for one wish Fisheries would camp out there and check the fish being cleaned and checked in. I can’t tell you how many times I see people bringing species that are restricted and from closed areas. Seams people can’t differentiate Vermilion from Yellow eye, not to mention fish over the slot limit, both Salmon and Halibut as well as undersize Ling cod.

I’ve heard Ukee called a lot of things but this is the first time I’ve heard it called “the Sunshine Coast”. It is the most beautiful place on earth, imho, when the sun is shining! :)

I agree with the posts above, Island West isn’t quite what it used to be but it is a bit better than its worse days in the last decade. Minor improvements here and there, but the camping isn’t exactly what you’d expect for the beautiful coast, you’re pretty much in odd sized and located sites that feel like they’re in a parking lot or literally off the side of the road connecting island west and the government wharf. I prefer the moorage even though it’s significantly more than the public docks because you reserve your slip and it’s yours for your duration. I don’t like the hassle of having to find a spot or rafting that can occur during busy times at the govt docks, particularly not after a long day on the water with fish, boat and gear to clean.

Main beef about Island West is their boat launch. It used to be the best in the area for most tides and all sizes of boats as the public launch at seaplane base road was unimproved and now is still pretty flat at low tide. Problem with island West is the concrete has been a broken disaster waiting to happen for going on a decade and a half (unless they’ve replaced it in the last couple years?).

I keep wishing someone would buy the old fish plant out by hyphocus island, fix/replace the old wharves and make a little resort, campground and marina out of it. Would be gorgeous out there and a much shorter exit through the no wake zone out into Barkley. Maybe that should be my anti-retirement plan!!!!

Cheers!

Ukee

I’ve heard Ukee called a lot of things but this is the first time I’ve heard it called “the Sunshine Coast”. It is the most beautiful place on earth, imho, when the sun is shining! :)

I keep wishing someone would buy the old fish plant out by hyphocus island, fix/replace the old wharves and make a little resort, campground and marina out of it. Would be gorgeous out there and a much shorter exit through the no wake zone out into Barkley. Maybe that should be my anti-retirement plan!!!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Happy to start Crowdfunding for that plan!

Any Hali being caught this time of year? Been striking out in Vic with my Son all summer. Would love to get out with a SFBC member Saturday in Ukee or Tofino if anyone has room. It looks like the winds are going to be quiet.

Happy to start Crowdfunding for that plan!

Any Hali being caught this time of year? Been striking out in Vic with my Son all summer. Would love to get out with a SFBC member Saturday in Ukee or Tofino if anyone has room. It looks like the winds are going to be quiet.

Winds might be quiet but so is the fishing. Well at least charters are. I went out last weekend and landed a few nice keeper ling cod and one chicken, inshore. Released some monster ling though so it was a fun day. I was the only guy out there though, that I saw. Reports of some other locals hitting them at South bank too, so fortunately you don't have to go far, since the winds have been unpredictable. Last weekend I was blown off the water from unpredictable winds. Nice sunny calm day for u,cluelet standards, next thing you know the wind changes 180 degrees with gale force and 5m swells. Was not anywhere on the radar and didn't see it until it popped up over the Alberni mountains. Had I been way out there during that sudden drastic change, it would have sucked big time.

Winds might be quiet but so is the fishing. Well at least charters are. I went out last weekend and landed a few nice keeper ling cod and one chicken, inshore. Released some monster ling though so it was a fun day. I was the only guy out there though, that I saw. Reports of some other locals hitting them at South bank too, so fortunately you don't have to go far, since the winds have been unpredictable. Last weekend I was blown off the water from unpredictable winds. Nice sunny calm day for u,cluelet standards, next thing you know the wind changes 180 degrees with gale force and 5m swells. Was not anywhere on the radar and didn't see it until it popped up over the Alberni mountains. Had I been way out there during that sudden drastic change, it would have sucked big time.
I always keep a close watch on Estevan point on the EV site on my phone....suddenly the nw winds pick up and you get a little warning that it's coming at you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back