2019 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so for gear..... we have 3 hali rod/reels. I assume those will work. We have way too many salmon rods but I assume that all of those knuckle buster reels wont work. Is this correct? What about hand lines? Does anyone have any thoughts on them? Does anyone have any pics of the Rapalas that they use? What are clones?

I'm looking at taking my first crack at it in my own boat in the next couple of weeks. I've been a couple times on others boats.

If anyone is (or knows someone that is) looking for a buddy boat out of Ukee or Bamfield I'd love to get in touch!

Cheers,
Ryan in Sidney

This is not a fishery you can really plan ahead of time.

I have a few groups booked to fish and we will go for tuna if the conditions are right. Forcing yourself to go on a specific date can be s huge waste of gas and time

Ok so for gear..... we have 3 hali rod/reels. I assume those will work. We have way too many salmon rods but I assume that all of those knuckle buster reels wont work. Is this correct? What about hand lines? Does anyone have any thoughts on them? Does anyone have any pics of the Rapalas that they use? What are clones?
The issue with Salmon gear is the amount of time it takes to land a fish you might try it a few times but when you're 60 miles from home do you really want to spend 40 minutes on one fish?

Rapala X Raps are the most widely available here-strung on 6' of 80# mono.

Handlines are easy to make and productive but not much fun.

Clone comes from the old 7 Strand Tuna clones maybe no longer made-cheap Cambodian made lures just a lead head and a skirt made by many companies in many colours usually 6" is what people use.

I'm heading to Nootka on Sunday. Anyone know how far off shore the right water temp is right now out of Nootka or Esperanza? TIA

Not to derail the tuna reports thread but I'm looking for a little advice from some of you folks who have successfully targeted tuna. What would you recommend for some go to gear to get started with? Now that we have our boat dialed in and reliable power on the back I think this is going to be our year to give it a try. I've waded through a lot of threads and checked out tackle.....holy crap it is pricey. I don't really want to go nuts buying gear for a fishery that we may do once a year at best. Much like every guy should own a white hootchie......I'm looking for help with a go to starter setup for tuna.

We would also be interested in a trip with buddy boats later in August or even early September. Anything out of Ucluelet, Tofino, or WH would work. We are hoping to see water temps up within 60 miles of shore. Anything beyond that is going to be a real challenge for us to pack and stow all the extra fuel.

Cheers,
Brian
A half dozen zukers in a few different colours, green, orange, American flag.... and 4 to 6 splashers is all you need to start up. We will be in WH from August 30 till September 6th. There are 4 or more boats that will be buddying up if the weather is right. The more the merrier.

A half dozen zukers in a few different colours, green, orange, American flag.... and 4 to 6 splashers is all you need to start up. We will be in WH from August 30 till September 6th. There are 4 or more boats that will be buddying up if the weather is right. The more the merrier.
Thanks for the offer. I would love to join in on that group. Unfortunately I have work commitments that week. I'll see if I can switch some shifts around. That would be a blast.

Brian

My boat is rigged up ready to go. let me know and ill join along! i met you last year in WH as i was going out fishing with Gray.

My boat is rigged up ready to go. let me know and ill join along! i met you last year in WH as i was going out fishing with Gray.
Right on, sounds great! Just got some intel from a buddy in WH a moment ago, confirmed tuna commies 40 miles off the light. He will be doing a shot on the fist calm day ahead. Getting exciting fellas!!

On a ferry to hardy as we speak, plan was to fish north of cape caution but after reading of longfin 40 off WH plans may change!

Two boats heading out of Renfrew Thursday if anyone wants to join in we plan to start our day at Nitnat canyon.
Charlie Cat vhf channel 73.

Did you guys end up going out? I drool all over the Charlie Cat every time I see it
..lucky!

We're heading out of Nootka on Tuesday. Weather looks good. Water temp appears to be within range. Loaded up on gear from Nate at PNT. Clear Skies. Tight Lines. Cant Lose.

398BE45A-05ED-4CF6-9209-B3B4E9039893.jpeg 398BE45A-05ED-4CF6-9209-B3B4E9039893.jpeg
Did you guys end up going out? I drool all over the Charlie Cat every time I see it
..lucky!
We had to call the Thursday trip off due to weather wound up going. Out Saturday 03 August Nitnat canyon area along the eez line roughly N48.00 w126.20 the total for the day was 26 tuna and 2 yellow tail. Purple/black clones and natural cedar plugs ear working well the 2 hand lines were working particularly well 30 feet back in the wash.

Attachments

• B4B2479D-D316-4677-9D49-64B67907E242.jpeg
    B4B2479D-D316-4677-9D49-64B67907E242.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 227
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back