2019 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue with those needle eye hooks is that a fish can use the way they sit in the body of the lure to crowbar the point out of their mouths during the fight-it happens.

Of course you can just drill out the hole in the back of the lure for a better fit with whatever hook-I never did that with the Cedar plugs I have since they're old and the wood quite brittle.

Looking forward to another one of these trips. This was our September 2017 Tuna trip 80 km's offshore out in the canyons off of Ucluelet. We found ourselves in the middle of a feeding frenzy. If you haven't fished for these critters yet you should! Crazy strong fighters for their size. The average size of Tuna coming through BC this year were a lot bigger than previous years. A 30lb'r feels and fights like it's 80lbs. In a couple days fishing we landed 18 Tuna with lots over 30 lbs and lost probably just as many with several double and triple headers. Can't wait for the next trip!

The tuna are here! We did a recon trip to Nitnat canyon Thursday and and wound up with 18 on ice, lost a half doz more all on the troll. Willie Mitchel and crew in the Kingsize were to the west of us and got 39 I believe.

Attachments

• EC1DE89A-A12B-40D8-8676-2C84626D1E4E.jpeg
    EC1DE89A-A12B-40D8-8676-2C84626D1E4E.jpeg
    508.4 KB · Views: 173
The tuna are here! We did a recon trip to Nitnat canyon Thursday and and wound up with 18 on ice, lost a half doz more all on the troll. Willie Mitchel and crew in the Kingsize were to the west of us and got 39 I believe.
Get out!

That is just awesome......man I hope a live bait albie fishery turns on here at some point

Yeahhhh boyz!!!!

Thanks for the report! It's on!

I realize this is a bit of a derail, but can people point me to sst/Chloro charts that cover all of the bc coast. I think terrafin has coverage. Doesn’t look like ripcharts does, at least the free images only show half way up the island. Fishtracker, Hilton’s, ROFFs? Thanks.

I realize this is a bit of a derail, but can people point me to sst/Chloro charts that cover all of the bc coast. I think terrafin has coverage. Doesn’t look like ripcharts does, at least the free images only show half way up the island. Fishtracker, Hilton’s, ROFFs? Thanks.
Hey there Seagirt, ya we always rely on terrafin, it costs annually, but worth it. Shows everywhere.

They all use the same datasets, so at best you might have different colour coding, but the data will be the same.

Not to derail the tuna reports thread but I'm looking for a little advice from some of you folks who have successfully targeted tuna. What would you recommend for some go to gear to get started with? Now that we have our boat dialed in and reliable power on the back I think this is going to be our year to give it a try. I've waded through a lot of threads and checked out tackle.....holy crap it is pricey. I don't really want to go nuts buying gear for a fishery that we may do once a year at best. Much like every guy should own a white hootchie......I'm looking for help with a go to starter setup for tuna.

We would also be interested in a trip with buddy boats later in August or even early September. Anything out of Ucluelet, Tofino, or WH would work. We are hoping to see water temps up within 60 miles of shore. Anything beyond that is going to be a real challenge for us to pack and stow all the extra fuel.

Cheers,
Brian

We haven't been out a lot for Tuna, did everything from fill the boat in a couple of hours to skunked on 1 trip, but I don't think you need a lot of extra stuff.

Don't think you have to invest a lot other than Gas & Safety Equip - make sure you have the best of what you can get for safety.

Other than that, a few cedar plugs, and few of those clones, and maybe some rapala's

We just used our salmon & halibut rods, and when it was hot they hit everything in the water. Other times more selective and one particular color cedar plug did the best.

I now have a ton of stuff, every year buy a few more things, but just like salmon gear I keep going back to the usuals and have tons of stuff that just takes up space.

We haven't been out a lot for Tuna, did everything from fill the boat in a couple of hours to skunked on 1 trip, but I don't think you need a lot of extra stuff.

Don't think you have to invest a lot other than Gas & Safety Equip - make sure you have the best of what you can get for safety.

Other than that, a few cedar plugs, and few of those clones, and maybe some rapala's

We just used our salmon & halibut rods, and when it was hot they hit everything in the water. Other times more selective and one particular color cedar plug did the best.

I now have a ton of stuff, every year buy a few more things, but just like salmon gear I keep going back to the usuals and have tons of stuff that just takes up space.
Thanks for the reply J-Global. Are you going out this year?

... a few cedar plugs, and few of those clones, and maybe some rapala'sWe just used our salmon & halibut rods, and when it was hot they hit everything in the water. Other times more selective and one particular color cedar plug did the best.
^ this

Will go if the weather is right. Missing my deckhand most of the summer with his commitments to his other sport and the time I spend going to watch him.
I'm ready to go anytime the weather & crew situations allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back