Status
Not open for further replies.
Gave it another go for coho today, despite the “iffy” wind forecast. Lines down just before 8am and at 8:15am we got a hit on the venerable McKnight spoon at 45’ in 480’ of water and netted a 5lb unclipped. OK I thought, maybe today will be the day?:D

Sadly, exactly as on our last two trips, this was our only hit of the session. We tried circling where we got the hit; we went across the current from 200’ to 500’ multiple times; we tried depths from 40’ to 120’; we tried spoons, hootchies, and herring in t.h. Nada!:(

I remain convinced the coho are not there in any numbers. Not consistently anyway. Oh sure, if you pick exactly the right day, like a few guys did on Sunday, you get a bonanza. (Since then it has rained heavily of course). Otherwise it is like looking for a needle in a haystack, unless you are extremely knowledgeable, or very lucky, neither of which seems true for us! :(

Still if we weren’t skunked I guess that counts as a good day! :) Easterly wind got quite strong by 11:30am with big bouncy chop, so we saved further gas and frustration and came in. There were only 6 or 7 other boats out there with us and I did not see a single fish caught.

Yes was out there also - got caught in the big swells and the rip so called it a day around 12:00 - too difficult to keep my little boat stable - anyway hooked up 3 Coho so not bad for 3 hours fishing- lost 2 at the boat and landed one finally - it was a wild about 5 lbs - was in 400 feet of water - rigger at 70 feet and running about 3-4 MPH for all three fish - a seagull tried to steal my bait after the last one and hooked itself on my hoochie, so had a time trying to get the hook out of its leg - finally freed it and off it went - not a fun thing to do in the swell and rip - LOL -

I had a crazy glue day: that’s what I should have been putting on my hooks to get the fish to stay on. We fished from 9 to 12 and then called it for the same reason as you, Paul. We had 5 hookups and nothing in the bucket. 4 just jumped off but the 5th was a real screamer, took out line like a spring so maybe a chum? Didn’t see him as the line broke at the knot on the buck tail I was using: my bad as it was tied up from last year and I didn’t change out the line. That’ll learn me!

I had a crazy glue day: that’s what I should have been putting on my hooks to get the fish to stay on. We fished from 9 to 12 and then called it for the same reason as you, Paul. We had 5 hookups and nothing in the bucket. 4 just jumped off but the 5th was a real screamer, took out line like a spring so maybe a chum? Didn’t see him as the line broke at the knot on the buck tail I was using: my bad as it was tied up from last year and I didn’t change out the line. That’ll learn me!

I have had those since I started fishing that area LOL - I haven't had screamers but have had some mystery fish that have been shearing off the teaser heads completely and all on new line. Wham and gone!

I was out Tuesday morning in some of the biggest water I've been on for some time. Ugly offshore swells coming in from the west, washtub seas on top of that from wind and currents. Stuck it out until about 10:30 when the first rogue wave came out of no where. We were bow into it but it was a curler...like those approaching a beach. Climbed up the steep face and broke through before it broke just behind us. That woke us up. I though probably a freak wave and won't see any more. Not 5 minutes later another one is on us. This one breaks right on top of us...water shoots over the deck, up the front glass, over the house and drops into the cockpit behind. I swung around quick, started the main, pulled gear like I was on a mission and we surfed home. One coho about 5-6 pounds was it for the trip...I wasn't able to work the gear that much as it was a real challenge to keep the boat under control, keep your balance and work the gear. Hopefully tomorrow morning is a bit nicer.

I was out Tuesday morning in some of the biggest water I've been on for some time. Ugly offshore swells coming in from the west, washtub seas on top of that from wind and currents. Stuck it out until about 10:30 when the first rogue wave came out of no where. We were bow into it but it was a curler...like those approaching a beach. Climbed up the steep face and broke through before it broke just behind us. That woke us up. I though probably a freak wave and won't see any more. Not 5 minutes later another one is on us. This one breaks right on top of us...water shoots over the deck, up the front glass, over the house and drops into the cockpit behind. I swung around quick, started the main, pulled gear like I was on a mission and we surfed home. One coho about 5-6 pounds was it for the trip...I wasn't able to work the gear that much as it was a real challenge to keep the boat under control, keep your balance and work the gear. Hopefully tomorrow morning is a bit nicer.
Sounds like a crazy trip for you there,pro.And to take a greeny like the one you described that drops water in the cockpit of your boat is a nasty wave.Not a pleasant experience for your customers either,I would imagine!

It was two people from San Diego and the lady was the fisher....the guy was just along for the experience. She wanted to go again the next day if the weather was ok. Right after the first one she commented...well that was fun!! lol Yeh its fun so long as the engines don't cough at the wrong time and you end up sideways to one of those...not worth it and it was time to quit.

Just want to throw an interesting question: have you guys used a trailer hook after a spoon to reduce the lose rate? See picture attached-IMG_9113.JPG

Last edited:
Got out before first light this morning and hooked onto a couple of hatcheries off beachy head at about 500 fow and 80 DR moving at 3mph - used green anchovy teaser with a green flasher. Had a humpback surf around my boat at about 9:30 which was a good way to end the morning adventure- looked like he/she was heading towards Sooke. Picked up another hatch on the way back to Becher but just a shaker.

Went straight out of Sooke for a few hours this morning till noon. A couple shaker chinook tossed back, no coho. Fished surface to 200', fast and slow, various hoochies and spoons, in shallow and out deep. Lotsa sun.

Put in a 6 hour trip this morning starting at daybreak and fished off the bluffs for a bit..only a decent 5-6 pound winter spring so headed out. Got a 5 pound wild coho on the tack out to the shipping lanes and then a really nice 11 pound wild just as I was heading back in. That was followed by a 7 pound hatch and then we hooked and released a really nice 12 pound wild as there were only 2 of us on board. SE got lumpy by noon and was cold. Nice to have the Buddy Heater in the cabin today. All Coho at either 65 or 70ft and the spring at 80. All on bait today.

Fished sunrise till 11. 2 hits no fish. Hootchies/spoons 70-100 ft. Both hits at 90ish. Out in front of the harbor from 300-550 ft. both hits at around 400. Seemed like a tough day out there for most people. Chilly morning!

8am -2pm today at Pedder Bay. Nothing but a couple of small shakers. not even big enough to know they were on the line. Only a couple of boats around the bay and didn't see anything landed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back