Status
Not open for further replies.
Another good Coho day as we got into 31 fish...kept 3 wild and 4 hatchery, released 14 wild and 2 hatchery and lost 8 more near the boat. All fish today were 35 to 50 ft. Tried lots of deeper depths through the day but nothing below 50-55ft. Anchovies in green heads and glow green flashers and the green 4 inch Grand Slam bucktail did the trick again. Not as nice a day as yesterday but not bad,,,bit of drizzle for awhile and low visibility at times.

out from Becher again today from 9 to noon, thanx to tips from folks on here with offset hooks and sharpening, ended up 2 for 2 hits. Kept one wild about 5 lbs and released a much smaller hatchery. Sounds like I should have stayed more shallow, ran bait and spoons from 60 to 100' off Beechy Head and both came on a green ish Skinny G in 65 is FOW. Will try one shallower tomorrow. Definitely marking more fish today.

Another good Coho day as we got into 31 fish...kept 3 wild and 4 hatchery, released 14 wild and 2 hatchery and lost 8 more near the boat. All fish today were 35 to 50 ft. Tried lots of deeper depths through the day but nothing below 50-55ft. Anchovies in green heads and glow green flashers and the green 4 inch Grand Slam bucktail did the trick again. Not as nice a day as yesterday but not bad,,,bit of drizzle for awhile and low visibility at times.
How long of a leader do you use with the Grand Slam Bucktail ? I have never been able to get mine to produce

Same as a regular hootchie...shorter is better, heavy leader..40lb. And troll fast enough to get the flasher flicking it around. For coho I troll just over 3 mph

Same as a regular hootchie...shorter is better, heavy leader..40lb. And troll fast enough to get the flasher flicking it around. For coho I troll just over 3 mph
Is there a place that sells those Grandslam Bucktail local ish or does one have to order direct from their website?

I'm not sure to be honest. The fellow who makes them (a member here) bought some raffle tickets from me and came up here for a fishing charter and to pick up his tickets. He sent me 3 samples to try out. So I will have to find out myself as I already broke one off. He sent me 2 that I would say are good for spring and coho (green) an one for pinks. I lost one of the green ones. Out again this morning for 4 hours and brought home 5 wild and 2 hatch. Released a few and lost a few. Same as yesterday both gear and depths.

I'm not sure to be honest. The fellow who makes them (a member here) bought some raffle tickets from me and came up here for a fishing charter and to pick up his tickets. He sent me 3 samples to try out. So I will have to find out myself as I already broke one off. He sent me 2 that I would say are good for spring and coho (green) an one for pinks. I lost one of the green ones. Out again this morning for 4 hours and brought home 5 wild and 2 hatch. Released a few and lost a few. Same as yesterday both gear and depths.

I'm that fellow.:) My family and I had a great day fishing with @profisher!

Grand Slam Bucktails are fully stocked in Campbell River at The Tackle Shack. Or you can order from the website www.grandslambucktails.com.

For coho, fish them fast. I use a shorter leader than for hoochies. This year in the puget sound, the needlefish size has been the most consistent.

Howard

I'm that fellow.:) My family and I had a great day fishing with @profisher!

Grand Slam Bucktails are fully stocked in Campbell River at The Tackle Shack. Or you can order from the website www.grandslambucktails.com.

For coho, fish them fast. I use a shorter leader than for hoochies. This year in the puget sound, the needlefish size has been the most consistent.

Howard
Try a lemon meringue hootchy with a purple Kyler insert space it with one or 2 large clear beads to your single, leader finger tip to elbowing, 40lb test, quick like profisher says!!
Should produce.. the lemon meringue is full size and glow.

Green ain't working for me for coho this year it seems. White & purple seems to be the ticket. Got my 4 today solo in the slop. 40-70'. Nice size hatchies which is a nice change from the rats back in September.

Hey Howard I knew you would chime in. The samples you sent have been well used and appreciated. I knew by looking at them when you fished with me that they would work well. Any time I can put something on a line that produces consistently (keeps up to bait) and reduces my work load (re baiting) its a winner. Because you can get into big schools of Coho, pinks and sockeye and have a hard time keeping gear in the water and fishing....good artificial lure is the way to be able to keep up and keep gear fishing. I've been fishing one of your green 4 inch lures all fall and it hasn't disappointed. I will have to track down some more so I have a supply for next year as it is only a matter of time before the ones I have get so abused from fish bites that they get a bit tattered. Nothing lasts forever.

Had a great day today. Came out around 830 out in about 450.feet water the head. Put lines down and fish right away. Lost count after 20 or so fish. Kept 3 hatchery 2 wild and nice chrome chum. One of the wild ones was just over 10lbs,so so they are getting bigger....

Anywhere from 80 ft to 140 ft.

20191006_145930.jpg 20191006_143122.jpg

20191006_143057.jpg

Had a great day today. Came out around 830 out in about 450.feet water the head. Put lines down and fish right away. Lost count after 20 or so fis
WOW awesome someone earlier said fishing was completely done for coho hhhhmmmm how things change when better tides hey.... good work Jarrod !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasnt............. just stating a fact that because one day is off doesnt mean the whole season is shot. everyday is different and sometimes every hour is, If we limited out every time we went it would become boring hence why its called fishing NOT catching limits....

The past few times we have been out the Skinny G spoon in chrome and blue has been doing very well fished shallow on a trip planer out the back down 1o to 30 feet. Some of our biggest Coho this fall have hit it. No flasher and a long leader.

Last edited:
Out the sides we have been using a black and glow white (cop car) spoon and a UV (clear/whitish) Hootchie with a double glow twinkle skirt insert. They both work well, especially when they are deep.

Had a great day today. Came out around 830 out in about 450.feet water the head. Put lines down and fish right away. Lost count after 20 or so fish. Kept 3 hatchery 2 wild and nice chrome chum. One of the wild ones was just over 10lbs,so so they are getting bigger....

Anywhere from 80 ft to 140 ft.

View attachment 48443 View attachment 48445

View attachment 48446
Great to see the smiles on younger fishermen, my little guy now has the salmon bug after catching his first coho a few weeks ago. It was only 4.5 to 5 lbs but he enjoyed the fight and even more eating it up the next night. Hoping to get him out again mid Oct for some late season coho action :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back