Status
Not open for further replies.
Also fished today from about 8:30 to noon. Near Secretary in 400 to 500 feet. About 6 cohos, none hatch, so all released. Hooked what seemed to be a spring, but long line release when it broke us off. Big fog banks came and went periodically as noted by Englishman.

Fished 0800-1400 mainly between Aldridge and Creyke. 4 springs around 22, 12, 8 and 8. All released well and all wild. Couple we lost maybe pinks. Spoons on riggers between 45-70ft.

Fished Beechy then down to Secretary this morning. Tried for springs early with anchovy and spoons with no luck so changed to red hoochies all around and promptly caught and released a 20 lb spring. He was a scrappy rascal so because of the rain the reel was slippery and I smashed my knuckles good for the first time in years. :). Eventually boated four pinks then ended the day releasing a monster wild coho again on a red hootchie at sixty five feet just off Beechy.

Got out with Bagjaun off Beechy in the 400ft water. 81 ft on the red n white hootchie was the pink slayer today 3 for 6. They sure wake up when they see me given them the hopeful eye to try and figure out what spieces lol. Also got a hatch Coho then finished the day in Pedder with my classic kelp bed double header of which the biggest pink of the day hit the deck. Crab trap was full with a mix 3 nice keepers.Bonus at the cleaning table was a swap of heads for some Hali chunks. Been a while since I got to eat fresh fish and tonight’s surf n turf was yummy. Tks for a great day buddy.

109401@2x.png
109400@2x.png

Lots of pinks to be had now that im a "pink" guide and a few coho mixed in and sometimes a bonus 15 lb spring that whacks a pink squirt out there , now is a great time to get some kids out for a fish The boy in top picture is holding up his hatchery coho he got . this is what it is all about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wilkinson I hope you sleep well at night knowing you have destroyed many lives on this island, smile on his face tells you just how important fishing is to our communities, and to families thats 3 generations of men their....

Went out of the bay at 9am and let the tide take us out off the Head. Went 8/8 on pinks and my daughter caught a nice 10lb spring which was released beside the boat. The kids get to play all the big fish this month. All done by 10:30 and now I have some canning to do.

Becher Bay this morning was stacked with fish this morning. I could not get the lines down and smash. 7 for 11 on Springs. Biggest 16. Tons of teenagers. No Pinks, No cohos. 5:30-8:30 was a gong show rods were going off. Totally died of by 10:00am. Had a few others hits that did not stick. Got another 12 lb in the trap. But that was it.

Fished from Secretary heading east from about 2:45 to 4:30. Apart from one shaker, my son caught and released a beauty spring near trap shack. About 25 lbs.

Awesome day out there, tons more boats, ramp lot was full so good that guys are playing. Actually lost count of fish, few nice springs (15lbs max), few small ones, few coho's all wild and a shitload of pinks. Never changed gear all day, green glow flasher, skinny g trap shack and a new Edmonson copy on other side, 55 and 61 ft. Flat calm, currents OK and fish hits all day so don't stop looking at rods. Awesome time.

HM

I trolled from Church all the way to Sooke Bluffs on the strong ebb late morning. Count was 13 fish on, 1 teen spring, 1 coho, balance was pinks. Kept 1 pink for dinner rest went back. Don't think it matters what you use. No need for bait, hootchies will do it, and even the apex caught a couple. Good time to get kids/families out, lots of action. For me for so many years it has always about grinding the shoreline spots for the big springs but with changing times I'm finding I can have fun trolling la-la-land and just enjoying the day.

Went out with my 12 year old Son who never wants to fish and my Mother for the afternoon. Pretty much non stop action from 3-8pm. Took home 3 pinks, hit a school of wild coho around the trap with a triple header that was a bit of a gong show and mixed in some springs around 10lbs. Hooked into more than we could count most around the 300-400ft range. Top rod with an 8 ounce slip weight at 25 pulls and pink squirt had the most action with all 3 species. Couldn’t ask for a better afternoon fishing with the family.

Fished from 10:30 to 6:00
Started off at secretary had 6 pinks on but only landed 2. Bite ends at 12:00. Trolled back and forth between secretary and Beechey head. Finally got into another pink at 5:00. Wave got rough decided to head in around 6

LOTS of pinks out there got to the point of not keeping them as my clients said enough lol at 12 so I got to take some home for me too tried for a few hours for springs at possesion and was still getting them in there as well. time for guys to take kids out if they can tear them away from their Xboxs....

Maybe a little bit faster for pinks--help cover ground when searching--but once you're in a school not sure it matters too much. Can't beat the classic flasher/pink squirt with 24-28inch leader.

110016@2x.png
110015@2x.png

Last couple days of fishing im using all colors of flashers with red in them and the squirt combo 29 inch leaders i do a north to south tact on the shelves out there that are from 130 to 350 ish feet deep when you start hitting them just look on your gps and circle them , speed is about 3 mph need to cover ground, if you lose school just redo same tacts and look to see if other guys near you are getting them watch and see what they are doing as well. have fun take some kids good way to teach them..

Good luck Wolf

Gather around children, your uncle stizzla has a story to tell you.
Today, I fished in sooke. I was up early, at 02:00 even though my alarm was set for 03:45.
I was excited! Sooke in the summer is one of my top things to do in life! There’s always a chance something special can happen...

So I picked up Original at his place at 04:15 ish and we were on he water around 05:00. Dropped 4 traps in the bay. Then we battled wind, fog and coldness for a while before I realized we had 2 jackets stowed away. Yessss!!!
Dropped lines and had a couple little 5# Chinook quickly.
Then my 10 pack of anchovies were put to the test. Grandma’s brine recipe was just what they were after as we got big hit after big hit off Beechey head. Count them... 1,2,3,4,5!!!!! Five incredible chinook. So fat and healthy. All in the 18-20 range. It was unlike anything I’ve done on the water. Captain Don was all over them :D
Then we hit some quick pink action and kept a few.
Even lost a solid coho in the low teens. The crab traps were STUFFED with 20+ dungees each and we kept our limits of the best of the best of them. Truly a wicked day and a case of the early bird gets the fish!
There are no pics because we were focused on releasing them carefully in the water and none were harmed in the making of this story.

Last edited:
Good to see yah out there Steve glad to hear your success we concentrated strictly on pinks out off secretary took 7 home lost more than that nice to take something home for a change

Good to see yah out there Steve glad to hear your success we concentrated strictly on pinks out off secretary took 7 home lost more than that nice to take something home for a change
Double eagle power!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back