2019 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work boys, pretty consistent fishing out there eh! I dragged my grandpa out there and we made it happen the other day. Plenty of fish in the 12-18# range and managed a thumper of a pre season fish, a true wild that measured 36.5x24”.

Attachments

• CE739EB1-CDF8-4E67-82DC-973F3ACE2631.png
    CE739EB1-CDF8-4E67-82DC-973F3ACE2631.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 169
  • BF9CB472-61E2-485B-A770-4364150EC46F.png
    BF9CB472-61E2-485B-A770-4364150EC46F.png
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 159
I wasnt really paying attention but at least 2 were clipped.

Spent the sunrise at the powder wharf this morning, 05:30-7:00. 8 fish to the boat, 5 were no doubt low to mid teens, 3 under. amazing consistent action
plowing the bottom. Green and white wee-gee attached to an old Betsy, was the hot ticket catching 6 of the 8. Herring Aid Coho killer got the first and biggest, but sadly as Coho killers do got a case of the bends. If you know the honey hole over there, it was over flowing...…….. it was nice feeling the tug, it really is the drug.

Dan

Good report @NAD!

We out there from 07:30 till 1 on the popemobile.
We caught the tail end of that bite getting a couple hooked around 10lbs. Did a loop of coal, fairfax and past Hamley. That’s @advTHXance’s last session before he heads up north to get the big ones all summer.

Best of Luck bud!

Fished tues and thurs this week, Tues fished for 2 hours at the spit area and hit 4 fish 1 lost screamer saw the tail had to be teens + and landed and release a real beauty 20 lb range hatchery. hit a pinnacle after that and lucked out with a very nice healthy ling.

Thurs, fished the spit again with no avail, so moved to coal for a action packed hour. 2 fish to the boat and 2 long line released fish tailed were 15 and 20+ pound chrome beauty’s.

Attachments

• 776F9A22-E241-4421-9B73-00676D017B6B.jpeg
    776F9A22-E241-4421-9B73-00676D017B6B.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 159
Tried some Hali fishing south of D’arcy near Zero Rock. Beautiful calm day! That’s it lol, beautiful day.

Has anyone caught a halibut in sidney this year?!
Good question! Saw about 1/2 dozen boats out there but didn’t see anyone bring one in. The Government Spotter plane flew over and probably estimated each boat caught at least two, so it’ll probably be a short season lol.

Good question! Saw about 1/2 dozen boats out there but didn’t see anyone bring one in. The Government Spotter plane flew over and probably estimated each boat caught at least two, so it’ll probably be a short season lol.
8 trips out for us so far this year with no takers, not so sure halibut exist anymore!

Nice to see so many fisherman still getting out there and keeping their skills up!
Can anyone comment on the best release tactic? I suspect if we want to catch these fish again in August, there’s a best practice?

Zzzzzzz indeed!

Hooked a ling and long lined released it, then got a nice quill back and hooked this beauty. I bullied it as best I could with 2 seals on us. I tailed myself, with wet hands while supporting the belly. It was barely hooked and I had @Original have the camera ready well in advance. It revived beautifully and made a big splash as it took off. I’m calling it 17-18 pounds and a new personal best.
What a day!!!
6C3D6779-6A7C-4D02-B4F3-37F11B2DCD0A.jpeg A6AA5041-C626-43CE-BB72-67976C71E521.jpeg

Had a great day on the Tight Lines with the Stizzla. Was a thrill for me to see you fighting a scrappy fish and amazingly not get sealed. I always enjoy using your great equip and gear, it’s so shiny and that boat is one of my favs, cheers buddy let’s get some more.

Took my boat out to Sidney Tues. afternoon. Beauty day with calm seas and sunshine. Dropped a crab trap at Roberts bay and headed to Coal for a few hrs. Pretty slow going from 12:30-3:30 with not a sniff but marked lots of bait and fish. Just as we were pulling in the cannon balls I thought let’s try a jig for a ling cod over on that panicle we had fished around. First drop one min got a small flounder whew skunks off lol. Second drop 80 ft hit bottom got something feels like a Ling but a bit heavy. It comes up slowly and boom a chrome shiny salmon wakes up on the surface and rips back down to the bottom, it gets back up to the surface and down it goes again third time up we get a good look and it’s a clipped beast, played him out and dehooked at side of boat. That was fun! Only a couple more small rockfish and 2 keeper crabs on the way in.

Attachments

• 734D1950-90D3-49BA-BE4A-C097816D159E.png
    734D1950-90D3-49BA-BE4A-C097816D159E.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 140
  • 583A6204-1C3D-4996-9E7A-83BCF898C172.jpeg
    583A6204-1C3D-4996-9E7A-83BCF898C172.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 145
Anyone here a little tired of thinking:
“this sucks... Stizzla is okay at fishing now and doesn’t have massive screw ups on the water anymore so I can’t laugh at him, not with him anymore?”

Well I have good news for you!

I went fishing today. Currents were ripping at probably 4 knots.
I went to my starting point off of coal, and got the first rod down. Before I could get the second clipped in, it’s bouncing a bit. Looks and feels like a 7-8 pounder then it figured out it didn’t like being hooked and took some big runs!
Battled it like a pro and released him with the gaff in the water. Call it 16-17 pounds. (Pic at the bottom)

Then the classic Stizzla cluster f words started.
First an all too common main line to main line tangle which resulted in two cut main lines and a full redo with fresh pre rigged flashers.
10 minutes later I’m at it again...
this time the cannon ball got involved. Next thing I know I have both lines and the ball all tangled up with the release clip in the mix too! My tactic here is always to unclip what I can to keep it and get it out of the way. Release clip, check. Then I go to unclip the first flasher when to my amazement the ball snaps off and goes dropping to the bottom in 160’ of water still snagged on one line and the islander is screaming!!!
the line other rod I see is dangling broken without a flasher and spoon on it... Gone. So I battle this ball that is stuck on the bottom and after 10 minutes I give her the all or nothing pull. The answer is nothing... no ball no flasher, no clip no snubber chord.
So yeah, end result all at once was, see ya later to:
-Salty dawg flasher
-no bananas flasher
- 2 glow skinny g’s
- my first lost cannonball in 11 months
- snubber

Ouch!

Going back to the good start, this was the beauty that started it off: 133’ in about 160’

Stizzfish.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back