2019 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Safety is certainly important but surely there must be a more efficient way of policing this? 4 officers and an expensive boat versus one officer at the boat launch checking people before they get out. Our tax dollars at work. Don't suppose any of that money could be reallocated to salmon enhancement?

Safety is certainly important but surely there must be a more efficient way of policing this? 4 officers and an expensive boat versus one officer at the boat launch checking people before they get out. Our tax dollars at work. Don't suppose any of that money could be reallocated to salmon enhancement?
Sometimes when training officers they send them out like that

With regards to DFO they have been required by Ottawa to have 3 on the boat, 1 to stay behind with the boat and two to board. Something happened in the East coast that caused them to go to this.

With regards to DFO they have been required by Ottawa to have 3 on the boat, 1 to stay behind with the boat and two to board. Something happened in the East coast that caused them to go to this.
Sounds like it was RCMP vs DFO. In the past I’ve found their interest lies mostly in safety as opposed to fishery. They seemed to be joking around, so maybe just an outing for famil on a good day. Unless of course the pope mobile has been implicated in serial killings and disposing of bodies lol.

Warning: Objects in net may be larger than they appear

1.jpg 2.jpg

Went out with a buddy and his brother who was visiting from out of town this morning, 615 off the dock. Around 11 after having no luck and seeign the look of impatience on their faces I said we can fish it out until after the next change if you guys want or we can head in whenever. My buddy opted to call it around 1130, so I dropped them off at the ramp and headed back out to Coal to fish in the ripping tide like a madman. Zigzagged down current and then turned back up current, hardly making any headway at all with the water moving between 2-2.5kts, got this chubby fella on the bottom on an anchovy! Lost another one that was smaller shortly afterwards about 50 feet from the boat. Another beautiful day out there too!

Warning: Objects in net may be larger than they appear

View attachment 44470 View attachment 44471

Went out with a buddy and his brother who was visiting from out of town this morning, 615 off the dock. Around 11 after having no luck and seeign the look of impatience on their faces I said we can fish it out until after the next change if you guys want or we can head in whenever. My buddy opted to call it around 1130, so I dropped them off at the ramp and headed back out to Coal to fish in the ripping tide like a madman. Zigzagged down current and then turned back up current, hardly making any headway at all with the water moving between 2-2.5kts, got this chubby fella on the bottom on an anchovy! Lost another one that was smaller shortly afterwards about 50 feet from the boat. Another beautiful day out there too!
Nice work! patience pays off!!

Joined the Sidney wagon for the tinners first trip of the season. Released a pair of wilds around 10# and took home a nice hatchery for the bbq. All action on spooons.

Attachments

• 582E941F-3681-4379-891D-2835846A62F1.jpeg
    582E941F-3681-4379-891D-2835846A62F1.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 117
The past week and a half report:
Been fishing Wain rock. Got at least 1 fish each trip out. All fish caught on the south side of the rock. Yesterday landed a 15lb hatch on a cop car spoon. All other fish were on anchovies. Every fish belly had anchovies in it. Last weeks fish had 8 small anchovies in its belly. Prawning is hot right now-get out there before the commercial fishery opens and decimates it. Tight lines!

Follow me on instagram for pics. @sheppygram

Last edited:
The past week and a half report:
Been fishing Wain rock. Got at least 1 fish each trip out. All fish caught on the south side of the rock. Yesterday landed a 15lb hatch on a cop car spoon. All other fish were on anchovies. Every fish belly had anchovies in it. Last weeks fish had 8 small anchovies in its belly. Prawning is hot right now-get out there before the commercial fishery opens and decimates it. Tight lines!

Follow me on instagram for pics. @sheppygram
Thanks for the report I better get off my butt

Out this morning for the 6 hour slack with one of the older fellows from the Sidney Anglers assn. Released a 5-6lb chinook at Coal, and a 12-14lb lingcod East of Mandarte. On/near the bottom, anchovy and sandlance respectively.

It was this guys first ever lingcod and he was pretty happy about it, aside from having to shake it off. Not to worry though, he got into plenty of lingcod and halibut later on at about 2 feet, at the south end of my freezer, all caught on a plastic bag with an arms-length leader.

Fished Coal this morning for 4 or 5 hours. Lots of bait and some arches on the fish TV. Released 4 between 7-14lbs, 90-150ft on the rigger. Saw another one landed with some fancy gaffwork, he said it was high teens. Nice fish!

I am having troubles finding out about 'pulse' prawning.
It could be that I have not finished my degree in computer science to navigate the DFO's site or that I don't have DFO as a second language to navigate their site.
All I need to know is if 'pulse' prawning is in effect. IE: April 1-15 closed. April 16-30 open.
Thanks for your assistance in this matter.

RAMP UPDATE:
Brentwood Bay: Lots of gravel/sand build up from the storms earlier this year. It would be wise to use a 4X4 at low tides especially for heavier boats. Facing the water from land: use the right side. Left side has part of the dock broken away and tied to the normal dock making the launch skinny and you risk going off the side of the ramp. This launch has had no maintenance in years so take it slow backing in due to huge pot holes and gravel on the cement ramp. Parking is getting slim as the season picks up due to construction in the area and the construction trucks parking in the usual boat truck/trailer areas as well as construction supplies placed throughout the parking lot. If parking is an issue, park on the grass island that you loop around when dumping your boat in the water.

Tulista last week: Lots of gravel/sand build up from the storms earlier this year. It would be wise to use a 4X4 at low tides especially for heavier boats.

RAMP UPDATE:
Brentwood Bay: Lots of gravel/sand build up from the storms earlier this year. It would be wise to use a 4X4 at low tides especially for heavier boats. Facing the water from land: use the right side. Left side has part of the dock broken away and tied to the normal dock making the launch skinny and you risk going off the side of the ramp. This launch has had no maintenance in years so take it slow backing in due to huge pot holes and gravel on the cement ramp. Parking is getting slim as the season picks up due to construction in the area and the construction trucks parking in the usual boat truck/trailer areas as well as construction supplies placed throughout the parking lot. If parking is an issue, park on the grass island that you loop around when dumping your boat in the water.

Tulista last week: Lots of gravel/sand build up from the storms earlier this year. It would be wise to use a 4X4 at low tides especially for heavier boats.
I used this ramp 2 weeks ago - there were several 2 inch long bolts sticking out of the side of the dock on the left side.

I used this ramp 2 weeks ago - there were several 2 inch long bolts sticking out of the side of the dock on the left side.

I hauled my boat out at Brentwood today. The launch could definitely use some work. Like mentioned the left hand side is tricky on low tides and beware the large cement block on this side That’s barely underwater too about 10’ from the shore/ dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back