2019 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the boat out for the first fish of the year today. Decided to check out Sidney area today since I have never fished out that way before. Spent sometime just cruising around and checked out some of the gulf island parks. Weather was awesome !!!!

Fished Coal early for an hour and then headed to Fairfax until around noon. Got one undersized fish to the boat, but things were slow. Didn’t see anyone else getting anything either.

Sounds like most of the fish have been concentrated in Sidney channel. I assume guys fish the red can off Sidney spit to the warf on the back side of James and this is the powder warf ? Saw a few boats in that area.

Just curious what others think of the Sidney area vs the waterfront/ Constance / whirl bay for consistent fish ? I live closer to Fleming beach so anywhere out of there is convient, but think Sidney may have some larger fish around right now.
Got 13 springs at Albert head last week

Was out yesterday for a few hours between the red can and the powder wharf. One hit was a 7lb white hatchery spring. Black glow/uv flasher and green glow skinny g just off bottom. I hope the boat next to me liked the solo landing job as i was trying to measure the fish next to the boat and then trying to get the net ready.

Went out for a few hours today and fished Moresby through the tide change. A few small ones that we released. One pretty good fight that the fish won. Just before we called it a day we managed to pick up an 8 pound hatchery Spring. IMG_2385.jpgIMG_2383.jpg

Got the fish to the boat and just as my buddy was attempting to net the fish, his feet slipped. What proceeded was a slow motion tumble over the gunnel and into the water. A bit of a **** show but managed to get both the fish and my buddy into the boat. Only a bruised ego but a great lesson as to how fast something can happen and why a lifejacket isn't just a fashion accessory.

Went out for a few hours today and fished Moresby through the tide change. A few small ones that we released. One pretty good fight that the fish won. Just before we called it a day we managed to pick up an 8 pound hatchery Spring. View attachment 42534View attachment 42533

Got the fish to the boat and just as my buddy was attempting to net the fish, his feet slipped. What proceeded was a slow motion tumble over the gunnel and into the water. A bit of a **** show but managed to get both the fish and my buddy into the boat. Only a bruised ego but a great lesson as to how fast something can happen and why a lifejacket isn't just a fashion accessory.
Happened to my buddy a while ago aswell fishing at the bluffs, similar sitch.

Went out for a few hours today and fished Moresby through the tide change. A few small ones that we released. One pretty good fight that the fish won. Just before we called it a day we managed to pick up an 8 pound hatchery Spring. View attachment 42534View attachment 42533

Glad you were there to help him buddy!
Hope he didn’t get too cold after. It wasn’t a warm day.
Also interested to see a fatter Gforce spoon get some action. Always good to get intel on derby week.

Glad you were there to help him buddy!
Hope he didn’t get too cold after. It wasn’t a warm day.
Also interested to see a fatter Gforce spoon get some action. Always good to get intel on derby week.
The two fish that I caught last sat both had large Hearring in the bellies. large As in like 4-5 inches or bigger

Took a spontaneous vacation day yesterday to ply the Channel in search of my first keeper. What a weird day:

1) First fish came within 30 seconds of hitting bottom. Was walking my buddy through the motions of what to look for (bottom bounce vs. fish etc..), how to operate the downrigger and then POP. Off it came.

2) During the fight the fish went around the leg of the kicker. Despite some very sad netting attempts by yours truly, we had to tilt the motor up and lift the keeper straight into the cooler. It was just barely legal (63cm), but I was annoyed at it, so the bonker came out.

3) During a routine line check later on, the line snapped. Well bugger. That was the combo that caught the keeper and a shaker (trap shack skinny G and Glow Herring Aide flasher); however, a check of the other side revealed the tangled flasher and gear!

4) then the tiller arm snapped. Time to go home.

Last edited:
Bonked a 9lber at Coal today. Lots of small fish around Coal and Sidney Channel. Quite a bit of scattered bait around Fairfax, Coal, and the channel as well. A good number of boats out today too despite it being a bit gusty at times.

Took a spontaneous vacation day yesterday to ply the Channel in search of my first keeper. What a weird day:

1) First fish came within 30 seconds of hitting bottom. Was walking my buddy through the motions of what to look for (bottom bounce vs. fish etc..), how to operate the downrigger and then POP. Off it came.

2) During the fight the fish went around the leg of the kicker. Despite some very sad netting attempts by yours truly, we had to tilt the motor up and lift the keeper straight into the cooler. It was just barely legal (63cm), but I was annoyed at it, so the bonker came out.

3) During a routine line check later on, the line snapped. Well bugger. That was the combo that caught the keeper and a shaker (trap shack skinny G and Glow Herring Aide flasher); however, a check of the other side revealed the tangled flasher and gear!

4) then the tiller arm snapped. Time to go home.

When I bought my used kicker the leg was painted white from the cav plate down. I asked why & the owner said he has far fewer fish swim into the prop than with the factory Yamaha blue leg. I don't know if it's true, but I haven't (yet, knock on wood) had a fish swim close to the leg.

Much like every day of fishing, today was wonderful!
There was a little Sidney angler’s derby...
@advTHXance was modest and didn’t mention he took home first place honours. My crew finished tied for fourth place at 0lbs. (3 fish were weighed in)
We did lose a couple of solid fish, as did the rest of the liars!
Thanks, as always to Captain @Nolan and first mate @persistent.
You get the good side next time Aaron ;)

Last edited:
First time out in Sidney this year with Ned slow action from red can to powder,wharf played 3 undersized but what a day to be on the water beats the hell out of work

Have you ever worked on a sunny Tuesday and said “EFF IT!” and then got in a boat and fished? That was me and @Nolan today. Tried the wain rock side after hearing of some nice fish there lately... we hooked a few right away and they were all just unders, 60 cm kinda thing.

Great time floating out there!

Also, i’m diggin’ these new islander reels!
1179EDB6-5705-4C1D-A01B-4660ACD9669A.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you ever worked on a sunny day and said “EFF IT!” and then got in a boat and fished? That was me and Nolan today. Tried the wain rock side after hearing of some nice fish there lately... we hooked a few right away and they were all just unders, 60” kinda thing.

Great time floating out there!

Also, i’m diggin’ these new islander reels!
View attachment 43012
U should've dropped the prawn traps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back