2019 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I find my navionocs charts pretty great around thormanby however that area is like a second home so I don't look at my charts too often around South Texada or Thormanby to be honest. Definitely have your charts handy and review before heading out as there are some nasty reefs on approach to Buccaneer Bay and long sand bars etc.

Make sure you're aware of areas closed for rock fish Sounds like you're heading for salmon so a great place to start would be Epsom Point. Watch for westerly winds and if they're blowing then you can check out bejjore shoal and the entrance to pender harbor.

Where are you going to put the boat in? There is a free public launch at Coopers Green in Halfmoon Bay and fuel / bait at Secret Cove or Buccaneer Bay marinas both located in Secret Cove

My favourite areas are around the southern tip of Texada island and spend as much time in that area from April to late summer as I can.

Good luck!
Looks like I will be launching in town as well, any of the launches at Halfmoon, Gibson's or Seshelt allow you to leave a trailer not hooked up to a truck for a few days?
Also, figured out my Navionics, somehow had all color and contours turned off

Looks like I will be launching in town as well, any of the launches at Halfmoon, Gibson's or Seshelt allow you to leave a trailer not hooked up to a truck for a few days?
Also, figured out my Navionics, somehow had all color and contours turned off
Buccanneer marina would likely let you launch there (it is pay) and leave your trailer there..maybe give them a ring..?

Definitely call ahead as the yard gets pretty full at times, but there's room along the road as well they may let you drop it for a few days.

No overnight parking at Coopers...

Call the sechelt band office and see if you can park for a few days in the lot at Selma park Fun ramp however...buccaneer bay is probably a better option.

Also the run from gibsons to secret cove can be very nasty if the straits are kicking it up so aim for Selma park at the very least.

Going to be visiting the parents in Sechelt next week. Never fished the area before but been following this thread for awhile. Was wondering about the best place to launch a boat. I see Selma park is the closest but heard its not the greatest ramp. Can you launch there at low tide? its only an 19' foot boat

Selma is the best ramp on the outside, the facilities are not great tho as there is no public dock. You can launch there at any tide. Lots of room to park and free to launch/park. The ramp is on Sechelt Band lands, and although the FN fisherman are usually nice and friendly to me, DO NOT pull up to the dock. Have someone hold your boat by the breakwater while you park.

Cooper's Green is in halfmoon bay, it is free and the launch is ok but not steep enough to launch anywhere near low tide. Even with your 19' unless you like dunking your truck, gotta time the tides. Also, CRAZY busy in the summer.

Secret Cove has a launch at Buccaneer Marina. It is doable at lower tides, but again, facilities are way under par. Doable in a 19' but you need someone to run the boat around the marina through a really tight channel and park at fuel dock. Costs 12 dollars to launch and park, but there's almost no trailer parking for non-slip owners so you have to park out on the road (still pay for parking!)

Another good ramp on the outside is Madeira Park government ramp, its a bit of a drive from Sechelt tho. Its nice and wide and has a dock you can pull up too. If you have troubles at the other 3 ramps you can drive out there and use that ramp, and exit Garden Bay near Texada and lots of fishing grounds.

The Lighthouse Pub in Sechelt has a great ramp but it only accesses the Sechelt Inlet, and all the good fishing at the moment will be on the outside.

No problem! Hit us up if you have anymore questions. Always looking forward to replies in this thread, questions or reports ;)

Good luck out there!

Also be sure to check the local fishing regulations. Main area outside Sechelt is 29-1. Rockfish closed year round and ling closed too. Salmon trolling ok,..other nearby area to check regs on are 16 and 17. Ling closed pretty well everywhere till May in those areas. Some salmon around for sure so if you got downriggers and trolling you'll probably find them. Selma park is steep so use 4x4 vehicle. It got re-done with new cement about 4 years ago and is a nice solid ramp. Burbans report above is great review of launches.

I used to launch my Whaler at Coopers without dipping the truck too badly but there is no dock at all and someone has to get wet. Tides on Saturday don't appear to dip below 5' so that opens up options. Personally I would aim for Mederia Park or Buccaneer Bay but Coopers and Selma Park are all options in play for you. Burban really did a great job summarizing the options available for you...be aware of where fuel is as well. Have a great time and let us know if you get any blood on the decks!

Heading to Buccaneer Bay for Easter and some early fishing. What has the prawning been like around Secret? Worth bringing out the gear for a soak?

Tapered off from what my buddies have said, but there's gotta be some out there somewhere if you really want some. Id put em down.

Hey, if anyone is shrimping around sechelt and are willing to part with some of their catch msg me! Would be great to get some fresh caught prawns!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back