2019 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 bucks a doz.? We payed 8 bucks a doz. in the 80's, that's just telling you that not a lot of guys are using live bait. You guy's just keep on trolling.
It tells me no one is fishing out there because of the regulations.
I’ve been out twice this past week, because it’s the best week to be out around here all season. I was the only boat out. Last year there would have been 60 to 70 boats out at all the various hot spots around here.
2 bucks a litre to splash fish back is another reason I’m guessing as well.
Sad.

It tells me no one is fishing out there because of the regulations.
I’ve been out twice this past week, because it’s the best week to be out around here all season. I was the only boat out. Last year there would have been 60 to 70 boats out at all the various hot spots around here.
2 bucks a litre to splash fish back is another reason I’m guessing as well.
Sad.

Did you happen to see any coho in your recent adventures? I heard of some weekend warriors telling tales of a coho or 2 showing up early to the party last weekend in the usual spots around texada.

Be interesting how much live bait they sell a season. They would obviously know the local moochers. I normally would see a few back when we could actually fish but not many. I’ve never tried it but I just might have to one day.

So just to get this right. Fishing with live breathing fish? A good good old snout hook job and troll really really slow with 1 to 3oz weight? Man alive never tried live bait for salmon' but need to start.

Lings love the live bait too. Mooch with it drifting over typical structure best done with a petz knuckle buster like the old days.

So just to get this right. Fishing with live breathing fish? A good good old snout hook job and troll really really slow with 1 to 3oz weight? Man alive never tried live bait for salmon' but need to start.

yah ...pay out line till weight hits the bottom and put boat in gear; weight and fish slowly comes up slowly covering various depths columns as it comes up. i was never good at it. kind of a lost art

Typically you want to find a good contour line say 100-120’ and drop anchor. You aren’t drifting you are stationary and you wait for a school to swim by.

Did you happen to see any coho in your recent adventures? I heard of some weekend warriors telling tales of a coho or 2 showing up early to the party last weekend in the usual spots around texada.
I haven’t seen any yet. Heard the same thing though, some around.

My uncle has a 21 foot boat, welded aluminum. Custom made, so she is called "One Off" :), has a 115 HP (If I remember correctly) we are actually going to Powell River I guess and fishing Texada/Savoury - first time doing this. Looking at week of July 15th - what will the fishing be like that time of year for finfish and shellfish? Going fishing here this weekend in Atlin, BC; a two hour drive from Whitehorse.

Any recent reports thinking to head that way this afternoon, maybe spend night at secret cove.

live bait is the ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back