2019 Powell River Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this where that bc park campground area is located? The name escapes me but I believe this is the same. Going to run up from sechelt in a week or so to have a look around. Cheers
The camp grounds are just south of Iron Mines, I have caught some beauties right in front of the bluff of the camp grounds, nothing like 20 or 30 people watching and cheering while you play a fish. Go north from the camp grounds and you'll come to a Hurtado Pt, from that point north is IM.

Attachments

• B3EB9A93-5D61-428B-8F7C-C2DD246433A9.jpeg
    B3EB9A93-5D61-428B-8F7C-C2DD246433A9.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 80
After getting skunked on the 15th, (we missed the morning bite & quit before it came back on in the evening) we made up for it today at Coho Point. Feed started showing up after 5:00 PM & the bite was on. Huge feed balls came out of nowhere after a couple of hours of nothing. Action on uv flasher & homeland security skinny g at 230' on the rigger.
2 nice reds, both unclipped. 68 & 78 cm.

Not sure which campground you are referring to. The only park area close by would be the Dinner Rock Campground. If you go North past Powell River approximately 10 miles to just past Dinner Rock the bluffs begin on the eastern shore at the end of the next bay (name escapes me right now).
If coming up by boat stop through Powell River the 2 fishing tackle shops Marine Traders and Pro Outdoors are within a 1/4 mile of the dock and can give you a wealth of knowledge on where the locals are catching and what with for the area. We have a number of great fishing areas so nearly always one will be hot.

FN0650 Ju;y 12 2019

Strait of Georgia – North - Areas 13 to 17, Area 28 and Subareas 29-1 and 29-2:
00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours July 31, 2019, 1 Chinook per day with a
maximum size limit of 80 cm;
00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 29, 2019, 1 Chinook per day;
00:01 hours August 30 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2 Chinook per day.

its my first time here.. and i love powell river.. thinking of retiring there when i reach 60+
i love oysters and other shell fish..
im just wondering can i shore fish or do we have a good river or fishing spot in powell river?

We haven't been out for almost a week, but the evening bite at Coho Pt. has been really consistent.
Lots of undersize fish, but plenty of 10+ around. Our biggest has been a 16. I've been running one black flasher & changing up on the other side. In four trips out, all the small fish came in on green or chartreuse flashers. Not one undersize on the black one. Weird! Needless to say, I picked up a second black flasher for next time.
Small green glow & cop car spoons doing most of the work. No action on hoochies at all. I hear that lots of guys getting good action on 5 & 6" plugs.
Hope to get out Sunday afternoon till sunset. Finally getting a good supply of fish in the freezer.
I haven't seen a coho or a pink yet, but the first pinks are starting to arrive in Lang Creek.
Lang Bay is open for wild Coho now.

We haven't been out for almost a week, but the evening bite at Coho Pt. has been really consistent.
Lots of undersize fish, but plenty of 10+ around. Our biggest has been a 16. I've been running one black flasher & changing up on the other side. In four trips out, all the small fish came in on green or chartreuse flashers. Not one undersize on the black one. Weird! Needless to say, I picked up a second black flasher for next time.
Small green glow & cop car spoons doing most of the work. No action on hoochies at all. I hear that lots of guys getting good action on 5 & 6" plugs.
Hope to get out Sunday afternoon till sunset. Finally getting a good supply of fish in the freezer.
I haven't seen a coho or a pink yet, but the first pinks are starting to arrive in Lang Creek.
Lang Bay is open for wild Coho now.

Interesting on the flasher part. We fished green flashers all wee and didn't have any issues. Biggest fish were on green splatter back hoochie and green flasher. Also had lots of action blue 5" plug. Earlier in the week our better combo was copcar flasher and glow copcar hoochie.

Hey Dradon. Thanks for posting your results. My black flasher test was far from scientific, but seemed like more than coincidence.

Continued.... We will get out & do more tests ASAP ;-). But for some reason, my wife thinks that getting the septic tank fixed is more important than fishing. Go figger. Have fun out there.

Things picked up for us yesterday, after two pretty slow days in the last week or so.
We trolled Lang Bay for a few hours yesterday around low slack with no action. We were hoping to run into some coho returning to Lang Creek, but no joy. We checked the creek on Saturday and there were only a couple of very small pinks in the creek. Nothing in the spawning channel. No sign of Coho or Chinook yet.
We were marking some fish all around the bay, but very little feed & only one small shaker caught on the troll.
Around 4:30 we headed back north & decided to give Coho Point a try. Caught three nice Chinook 8.4 to 14.5 lbs in a couple of hours.
There was almost no sign on the sounders, of fish or feed, so we were pleased to get our limit.
Best producer was purple haze flasher & hoochie. No bananas flasher & a green / white skinny g caught the small one.
All deep. 230’ on the riggers in 200’ of water.
All three fish had 5 - 6” herring in their bellies.

Fished Mace Point and in front of Lund harbour the last couple of days. Lots of coho, mostly wild. Ended up two mid-teen Springs (Lund harbour) and a hatch coho (Mace). Also saw a mid-teen Spring shooting out from under a patch of seaweed on the surface as we trolled by.

Out at Coho point again this evening. Dead dead dead. One pink & 2 tangles. Saw only one small feed ball. Trolled right through it but no takers.
One guy came in with a 17 pounder, I heard. Didn’t hear of anyone else getting anything.

Coho point on Wednesday mid-day. Was a tad rough getting there but was worth it. 3 Springs 10-13 pounds, a nice hatchery Coho and a good sized Pink to round out the day. One Spring on a convict hoochie, the rest on a No Bananas spoon trolling 160-210ft.

Just wanted to let Powell River anglers know that Powell River Outdoors has been kind enough to act as a drop off point for our ongoing citizen science program to study the diets of Chinook and Coho Salmon. Cut out the whole digestive tract of your catch and bag it with a label in pencil indicating (at a minimum) date, species, location, length, hatch/wild. Freeze as soon as possible and drop off in a small tote in the freezer at the store. You can also pick up bags and waterproof data cards at the store. Include your email address and each stomach is an entry in a draw for an Islander MR2 thanks to Islander Reels. All stomachs are valuable to us... but off season (fall/winter/spring) are particularly important as they are harder to come by (less folks fishing). To learn more about the program check out this article in Island Fisherman https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/the-uvic-chinook-and-coho-diet-study/ or visit our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Southern-BC-Adult-Salmon-Diet-Program-493763831003993/ or email juaneslabmanger@gmail.com

Just wanted to let Powell River anglers know that Powell River Outdoors has been kind enough to act as a drop off point for our ongoing citizen science program to study the diets of Chinook and Coho Salmon. Cut out the whole digestive tract of your catch and bag it with a label in pencil indicating (at a minimum) date, species, location, length, hatch/wild. Freeze as soon as possible and drop off in a small tote in the freezer at the store. You can also pick up bags and waterproof data cards at the store. Include your email address and each stomach is an entry in a draw for an Islander MR2 thanks to Islander Reels. All stomachs are valuable to us... but off season (fall/winter/spring) are particularly important as they are harder to come by (less folks fishing). To learn more about the program check out this article in Island Fisherman https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/the-uvic-chinook-and-coho-diet-study/ or visit our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Southern-BC-Adult-Salmon-Diet-Program-493763831003993/ or email juaneslabmanger@gmail.com

Is there other drop off points. Maybe list all the drop off points if there are more than just this one. I will participate if there are locations on the island.

Oly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back