2019 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it was boated eight total with the largest being high 30s. Must have been short and fat to under the 80Cm slot limit.

I fished the beach out West most mornings last week. Seemed to be fish around. I managed my fish each day and lost several as well. A few double headers always makes it interesting fishing solo...lol. I made the run out with my 9 year old son for his first trip to Swiftsure as well as the new boats. Awesome Humpback feeding show and good water. We literally got our Halibut in ten minutes and that was even loosing one half way up! Crazy good right now. We switch over to Salmon until the boys arms were ready to fall off. I didn’t touch a rod all day except for the 100 times or so I had to set the gear with all the Coho around knocking it off the clip. We switched over to 6” tonic spoons with no flasher and 6” Tomic Tubby plugs which helped a bit. Great day and great memories.

Don't recall i said i bonked the fish, all fish i release i never take out of the water, does this clear it up for you a bit
Went out on a limb and purchase a couple of packs of hering small and medium, now wondering if my 14ft jon boat is going to be safe on the reef lol, my boat is on the big side to spin on the reef so maybe i just go one way, ps i still remember how to cut those things up its all the toothpicks that i cant remember lmao

I fished the Canadian side of Swiftsure Sat, Sun and Tues. We (2 of us) brought 13 chinook to the boat, 7 were within the slot limit, one was too small and easily released in the water, 5 were larger than 80cm. Of the 5, one was clearly larger (about 35-36") but the other 4 were all within 1-2 cm of 80cm. It's very difficult to accurately measure a fish that size in the water and a couple of them were either lariated or hooked in such a way that they had to be removed to get the hooks out (especially those caught on herring). I switched over the Nog's iron needle to make releases easier. The keeper and larger kings were all caught at between 190' and 250' on the cable. Several on herring, several on Nog's needle and 2-3 on a green Tomic plug. I also trolled up a couple of nice ling cod, one chicken hali (released) and 4 black cod/sablefish. Of course, coho were easy. The black cod are not as abundant on the bank now. I think as they transition from juvenile to adult, they migrate into the deeper waters where they are typically found.

Well why didn't you introduce yourself, your tinner is a new one, all shiny if its the boat i am thinking about, good set up to fish out of, that thing screams mooching all over it. Yes the fish have been shallow. There was an older guy who mooches and he was out trolling the bling i said WTF, said he was having a tough year mooching so went over to the dark side. Well after a brief chastising and i gave him some tips he pulls the hardware and starts to mooch, landed 5 springs 2 legal. After he was done he came over to thank me for the tips, that was the best part of a good day.
Oh another side story, so i am making one last pass and only have 1 piece of bait thawed out and i had just missed another take, the herring was ripped and missing some skin, so i say wtf . I thread the hook through the herring and stitch it back together with a couple of wraps, put it over and it looks good, another double and land a beauty mid twenties on the sewn bait, so you never know.
Good luck to you all i am probably not out for a week as the cancer clinic is taking up most of our time next week and friends from Germany arrive today and i don't know if i have the patience to take them out :)
It’s so refreshing to see a real highliner share info with the masses :D

It’s so refreshing to see a real highliner share info with the masses :D
He must be getting soft, no lead flying , just being social with fellow fisherman??? Something is up, maybe i need to stop by Jordan river on my way up to see if he been taking his meds lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back