2019 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Washington state (NOAA) state forecast for JDF west entrance is both more accurate and detailed than the environment Canada, and accurate enough for Renfrew.

The NOOA forecasts in all areas default to the worst modeling possibility for safety reasons. They also lack in any detail and possible discrepancies within the fairly large forecast area. Going by their forecast will keep you off the water many days when it is quite fishable where you want to fish. We used to call it getting NOOAed. Windy is superior in all manners. Try it and you will be a believer.

Slow on the beach in Renfrew this weekend.

Saturday dropped the gear at 6am at the rock pile right in front of a fish and was on in first minutes. Lost that mid to high teens right behind the boat after a good play. Figured it was going to be a great day.
Then nothing for most of the day fishing camper to Cullite.
Fished my way back from Camper to Rock Pile on the way back and released a nice 90cm hatchery fish at 4:15 right where I had hooked up in the morning. Fat Football shaped fish. Left the water at 5:00.
Saw a couple fish caught by cut pluggers but no other fish.

Sunday fished 6am till 10am.
Started same spot but moved up to camper after feeding too much bait to cod.
Hooked another in the high teens at about 7am. Lost it at the net but looked like it was going back anyways.
8am hooked up another and took home a fish 80cm on the nose. 15.5lb on the scale at dock.
Saw no other fish caught.

Not much bait around. Better tides coming. Should be good next weekend.

Lots of female crabs in the bay. Try deeper water for males. Shallow water brought up heavy traps full of females.
I got more males out deep but many of them were 6 1/4" so sent back.

Calm and beautiful up there so great trip and nice to have gear in the water for the first time this year.
Looking forward to a salmon dinner with my family tonight. It's been too long.

Tips

Reactions: KCW
Went out today, boated 8, biggest 28, a couple mid twenties, low twenties and teeners, missed 5 others, pulled the plug at 11am, i think the switch of the tide was going to be a gooder but i had things to do :(. Met Civano, was good talking to you, hope it turned on for you. Took out the ball glove and played a little catch yesterday getting ready for Kingspring to come by for a chat tomorrow :D

Damn you moochers! You certainly catch more fish than the rest of the fleet.

@The Jackel - were you out Sat and Sun at Camper? There were 3 moochers. Only one in an open Tin. Thinking that might have been you? Although he was pretty friendly. Did not yell at me or throw anything so figured it wasn't.
I was in White Double Eagle with Blue top fishing solo.

@The Jackel - were you out Sat and Sun at Camper? There were 3 moochers. Only one in an open Tin. Thinking that might have been you? Although he was pretty friendly. Did not yell at me or throw anything so figured it wasn't.
Na the friendly one was not him, he never fish on the weekend it would be a blood bath and i am not talking about the fish lol, ps he fish out of a center console tinner, and yes he catch more fish then me lol

Nope wasn't me as Brutus said i don't fish weekends. Was slow i heard for the moochers on Sunday too, was hardly any boats out today, so strange for the end of July. Double Eagle boats are good to mooch out of :)

I just noticed no more max size for Chinook in Area 121. Did I read that right? Anyone else see it on DFO website?
Interesting.
I just looked, and it definitely doesn't say anything under "restrictions" that says that there is an 80 cm max. If you scroll down to the bottom, that info was edited on Friday, July 19th at 4:46 pm.
All this being said, I could have missed something.

FishWish

I asked this question yesterday as there seems to be a rumor that there is no slot restriction being broadcasted by the marina, and few others in area. SFAB and SFI weren't notified of any changes, so it would stand at 80cm.

If DFO did change anything it would have to be put out as an amendment, and announced. Sorry guys don't like the slot limit either, but also don't like to see anyone be fined.

I called DFO Victoria office and there have been no changes.
In conversation I brought up Aug.1 reg change and she noted I would be wise to check on Tuesday next week.

So did anyone see the chicken **** Kingspring in Renfrew today, seems he wasn't at the reef :D Was an epic day with a little story you all will like. It was one of those days where the action was non stop, success rate was another thing, last i can remember i boated 8 to high 30's, lost and missed somewhere around 13-15, quit counting, but now the good part.
So first pass 2 minutes in bam into a nice 25 lb chrome bullet, next pass miss one, next pass 2 rods go off, nada...wtf, turn around again, front rod has a take, so i jump up on it feed a couple of pulls, waiting then the back rod explodes. So i put the front rod down run and grab the back rod, now notice i said put the front rod down, didn't put it back in the holder......well Mr Spring comes back to hammer that rod, flip right the f*ck out of the boat :eek: **** out of sight it goes :(, then i lose the other fish:rolleyes: and that's how my day went, all in all a fun day i must say!

So did anyone see the chicken **** Kingspring in Renfrew today, seems he wasn't at the reef :D Was an epic day with a little story you all will like. It was one of those days where the action was non stop, success rate was another thing, last i can remember i boated 8 to high 30's, lost and missed somewhere around 13-15, quit counting, but now the good part.
So first pass 2 minutes in bam into a nice 25 lb chrome bullet, next pass miss one, next pass 2 rods go off, nada...wtf, turn around again, front rod has a take, so i jump up on it feed a couple of pulls, waiting then the back rod explodes. So i put the front rod down run and grab the back rod, now notice i said put the front rod down, didn't put it back in the holder......well Mr Spring comes back to hammer that rod, flip right the f*ck out of the boat :eek: **** out of sight it goes :(, then i lose the other fish:rolleyes: and that's how my day went, all in all a fun day i must say!

It's was nice to meet you last Friday. Maybe one day this young Jedi will learn the ways of the cut plugging force.

Hey Jackel, I fished right by you when you were dancing on your deck missing hits!! Was waiting for somelead coming my way. I’m in the 16 Silverstreak with all the bling gear spooking fish your way!
You sure hit fish, uncanny. Me well not so prolific but managed a one just under the slot and another gooder that was too good. Some big pinks and a few wild coho made for a good day. Both big fish hit at 20 ft. Fun to be out there and safely make a pass or two on the reef. Might start learning the cut plug art yet....

It's was nice to meet you last Friday. Maybe one day this young Jedi will learn the ways of the cut plugging force.
Nice meeting you too, so did you hammer them on the current change, you timed it just right??

Hey Jackel, I fished right by you when you were dancing on your deck missing hits!! Was waiting for somelead coming my way. I’m in the 16 Silverstreak with all the bling gear spooking fish your way!
You sure hit fish, uncanny. Me well not so prolific but managed a one just under the slot and another gooder that was too good. Some big pinks and a few wild coho made for a good day. Both big fish hit at 20 ft. Fun to be out there and safely make a pass or two on the reef. Might start learning the cut plug art yet....

Well why didn't you introduce yourself, your tinner is a new one, all shiny if its the boat i am thinking about, good set up to fish out of, that thing screams mooching all over it. Yes the fish have been shallow. There was an older guy who mooches and he was out trolling the bling i said WTF, said he was having a tough year mooching so went over to the dark side. Well after a brief chastising and i gave him some tips he pulls the hardware and starts to mooch, landed 5 springs 2 legal. After he was done he came over to thank me for the tips, that was the best part of a good day.
Oh another side story, so i am making one last pass and only have 1 piece of bait thawed out and i had just missed another take, the herring was ripped and missing some skin, so i say wtf . I thread the hook through the herring and stitch it back together with a couple of wraps, put it over and it looks good, another double and land a beauty mid twenties on the sewn bait, so you never know.
Good luck to you all i am probably not out for a week as the cancer clinic is taking up most of our time next week and friends from Germany arrive today and i don't know if i have the patience to take them out :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well why didn't you introduce yourself, your tinner is a new one, all shiny if its the boat i am thinking about, good set up to fish out of, that thing screams mooching all over it. Yes the fish have been shallow. There was an older guy who mooches and he was out trolling the bling i said WTF, said he was having a tough year mooching so went over to the dark side. Well after a brief chastising and i gave him some tips he pulls the hardware and starts to mooch, landed 5 springs 2 legal. After he was done he came over to thank me for the tips, that was the best part of a good day.
Oh another side story, so i am making one last pass and only have 1 piece of bait thawed out and i had just missed another take, the herring was ripped and missing some skin, so i say wtf . I thread the hook through the herring and stitch it back together with a couple of wraps, put it over and it looks good, another double and land a beauty mid twenties on the sewn bait, so you never know.
Good luck to you all i am probably not out for a week as the cancer clinic is taking up most of our time next week and friends from Germany arrive today and i don't know if i have the patience to take them out :)
Good luck to you as well. I’ll make sure I do next time, great bait story!!! It’s crazy how many hits your bait produces. It’s like the flasher puts them off the bite?!!

Fishing Thursday-Sunday . Used to cut plug in sooke years ago ,should give it a try again ,definitely need to pay attention .

Did I read that right? You boated 8 in the high 30s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back