2019 Port Renfrew Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe because of the less pressure on those fish on their migration?

I think we are definitely seeing that as a factor in a lot of area, The big aggressive fish that bite have made it back to a lot of terminal areas.

Looking forward to Harrison whites showing up late August and September they have been left alone this season, They have had about 6 extra months to eat. Typically picked off locally in April and May and then in numbers in the Campbell/Northern SOG area in June/July.

Lol, i love east point but cant handle it when theres more then 3 boats going in circle, i just cant relax when there 20 plus boats all jogging for the same tack, now what you did is smart, go out at last light in the pissing rain with nobody around and hook up some good fish thats priceless
You can do real well not going inside too.

Maybe because of the less pressure on those fish on their migration?
I’m sure it plays a part in it. Although once these fish are in Renfrew they have passed a lot of the gauntlet of fishing further up the Island other than the commercial that was wiped out this year. Anyways it’s been good and a lot of fun this summer.

Tomorrow my friends and I will go to Port Renfrew.

We are very excited to going fishing. We had never been there.

Any tips PM me .

I will bring some 12 lbs and 15 lbs cannonball and flashers. If you needed.

Tomorrow till Tuesday.

Thanks
D

Tomorrow my friends and I will go to Port Renfrew.
We are very excited to going fishing. We had never been there.
Any tips PM me .
I will bring some 12 lbs and 15 lbs cannonball and flashers. If you needed.
Tomorrow till Tuesday.
Thanks
D
The fishing area out of Port Renfrew is extensive. I assume you are going to fish the Beach.
East Point has been very good already this year and easy to get to.
From the Rock Pile to Camper Creek produces fish with Camper Creek being many peoples favorite spot. If you want to go further west, Culite, Logan and Wallbran can be good.
Anchovy fished the same as Sooke is our go to bait for Springs and generally you are fishing in 40 to 80' of water with 30 to 60' on your downriggers.
Just like Sooke one spot can be hot and another slow. Generally speaking the flood tide particularly just before and after the change is the best fishing time, but Springs are taken on all tides.
If you want Pinks you need to go well out from shore.
Good luck.
One more thing...we have fished both Sooke and Renfrew on the Beach for years and found that Sooke can be just as good as Renfrew for Springs. It's a tossup as to which is the best.

Last edited:
Thank you Fogged In

I just bring some extra cannon balls , scotty sure stop, and halibut rigs

I could sell then if they needed.

Now I am ok the way.

Hope to see you there

At the ferry on my way back home now , report for me was a grind, going back home with 4x spings to 20lbs, release a hand full of 6-10 lbs spings, 6-7 coho of one was a dandy wild estimated at about 15lbs, release to move along, few stinky pinks as soon as you hit deeper water, hali was easy, only went out once and took more time to get there then to get our 2x at 49-and 19lbs, some of the regular reef huggers where doing great, but it looks like the heavy rain as move the fish along, going back on the 15 for 4-5 more days

I didn’t fish yesterday but heard it was good in a lot of the usual spots. I was at the rink for my sons hockey camp. I did go out this morning and got two nice Springs by 8:00 or so. I saw a few other nets out and seemed like there where fish around. Flat calm water.....awesome way to start the day.

Attachments

• 5A864BC8-9536-4F53-AF02-3B942B682D04.jpeg
    5A864BC8-9536-4F53-AF02-3B942B682D04.jpeg
    467 KB · Views: 114
Nothing like seeing 20+ boats in a small area at Woods nose! Lol. Not for me.
Lol.....yah....I tend to drive right on by in the mornings and head west. Less boats and seems to be plenty of fish. I have been hitting Woods Nose for the night bite when it’s quieter. On another note I forgot to mention but it might interest the Tuna guys. The last two trips to the bank my son was Buzz bombing while we drifted for Hali’s. In between countless Coho he caught several Mackerel that were close to 5 pounds. Not sure if that means the warm water is a bit closer this year or not?

Lol hung up both sides on friday
Stay out of blue area on ur gps. But there are a couple spots that are not marked that jump up and get you. I agree with other comment that if you stay out in 60 ft area you are safe. And you don’t need to fish the zoo to get nice fish. I think they are catching a lot of smaller fish at Woods nose. We picked up four nice ones today without being close to the ZOO! That is crazy. Which is ur boat Brutus? Mine is 24 ft Trophy with hard top. Had my lil grandson in it for three days.

Lol.....yah....I tend to drive right on by in the mornings and head west. Less boats and seems to be plenty of fish. I have been hitting Woods Nose for the night bite when it’s quieter. On another note I forgot to mention but it might interest the Tuna guys. The last two trips to the bank my son was Buzz bombing while we drifted for Hali’s. In between countless Coho he caught several Mackerel that were close to 5 pounds. Not sure if that means the warm water is a bit closer this year or not?
Which is your boat Reel Slim? I went into Woods Nose zoo for like two minutes then outta there. By the way is the new boundary marker govt wharf? Lol. Guys are way past the maker. Surprised guys aren’t hooking crab traps.

Which is your boat Reel Slim? I went into Woods Nose zoo for like two minutes then outta there. By the way is the new boundary marker govt wharf? Lol. Guys are way past the maker. Surprised guys aren’t hooking crab traps.

Lol...the fish have definitely been farther into the bay than I have fished them in the past and so is the bait at times. My boat is the one in my Avatar picture and I’m at PG Marina. What boat are you in? Last day of hockey camp for my son tomorrow so I’ll hit the night bite again if it all works out. Edit.....sorry I missed your post about your boat. I think we may have chatted briefly the other night out there?

Stay out of blue area on ur gps. But there are a couple spots that are not marked that jump up and get you. I agree with other comment that if you stay out in 60 ft area you are safe. And you don’t need to fish the zoo to get nice fish. I think they are catching a lot of smaller fish at Woods nose. We picked up four nice ones today without being close to the ZOO! That is crazy. Which is ur boat Brutus? Mine is 24 ft Trophy with hard top. Had my lil grandson in it for three days.
Wellcraft 25 black soft top with honda in the back, and yes i know where that hump i hung up on is, just was in lala land not paying attention till i was on top of it, there is a few at eadt point and wood nose that like to catch balls lol

If you're fishing in 60' of water, down riggers are not necessary. Divers with rotary flashers and herring/anchovy will get plenty deep and are less likely to get hung up. And if they do get hung, it's generally cheaper than a down rigger ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back