2019 Port Hardy Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, Planning a trip by end of April into May, is there any good fishing up there in that time?

It's my first time going up there this early in the year, and I'm hoping to hook into some Salmon, Rockfish, Lingcod and REALLY HOPEFULLY some Halibut.
Is it too early for hali's at that time?

Also, how are the water conditions and the weather in April-May usually?

Thanks a lot

Mike,

If weather cooperates you should have no problem catching some fish. Salmon will be the toughest as you will be a bit early for any solid numbers. That being said there should be some winter feeders around.

Lots of places to catch some rock fish and Lings, have a look at your charts and start bouncing some rock piles.

Should be some halibut in the area, not a ton of them but if you put in your time I don’t see why you would be able to find a couple

Best of luck!

Thank you BearCove,

I've done a little searching and it looks like Rockfish and Lingcod are closed until May, which made me a bit sad, but I guess that gives me time to focus on some salmon and halibut.

I read on many sites that the sand flats off the airport are a good place to fish for halibut. Does this mean they are in shallower water? or is it very far out from the airport? My boat isn't too big, so I'm wondering if it will

be a good idea to go too far.

So it looks like I won't be fishing for any salmon while there.... coho is closed until June 1st and now chinook is closed as well. rocks and lings also closed until May. Looks like we can only try for halibut until the start of May.

How is lingcod and halibut fishing this spring? Is it worth making the long trip up island?

I don’t know if many that have been out yet with the non retention of Chinook it makes it tougher heading out for 1 long, 1 cod and 1 halibut.

My boats are still on trailers, most likely till early June.

That being said, there should be some fish to be had as it just opened up.

Yes that's what my crew and I are debating.

Waiting after July 15 will make more economic sense.

Anyone willing to pass on some hali spots around the hardy or north area please PM me. I am Making the trip up from Sidney with a buddy for a couple days and haven’t fished the area much. Thought I would check in and see if I could get some tips. I know people usually hold these spots tight but thought I would check. Thanks

Cheers

just back from 2 days in Hardy what a blast !!!! went for salmon first thing after an 1.5 hr drive to the top of the island !!!! 3 beauties in a row . then went for halis off the top of the island towards the charlottes 4 beauties funny- that far out only 140 feet water !!!!! so back to get our salmon to same spot - bang bionic bite !! neeeded 5 caught and lost about 12 but got our 8 for the day !!! nice fish 15 to 20 lbs - second day to strong wind so 1 hour drive across strait to a place on the mainland - Stunningly beautiful - fished right beside the shore in big swells got 4 beauties in a row bite died - went for lings lots of smalls but got a few nice mediums - all in all a great trip scenery unreal !!!!!! only problem my buddy ended up chumming the seas both days but ended up both days recovering to enjoy his " refreshments" !!!! on the sea !! an impressive feat lol

Last edited:
just back from 2 days in Hardy what a blast !!!! went for salmon first thing after an 1.5 hr drive to the top of the island outside the nahmit bar !!!! 3 beauties in a row . then went for halis 5 miles off the top of the island towards the charlottes 4 beauties funny- that far out only 140 feet water !!!!! so back to get our salmon to same spot - bang bionic bite !! neeeded 5 caught and lost about 12 but got our 8 for the day !!! nice fish 15 to 20 lbs day to strong wind so 1 hour drive across strait to a place on the mainland called " the wall" - Stunningly beautiful - fished right beside the shore in big swells got 4 beauties in a row bite died - went for lings lots of smalls but got a few nice mediums - all in all a great trip scenery unreal !!!!!! only problem my buddy ended up chumming the seas both days but ended up both days recovering to enjoy his " refreshments" !!!! on the sea !!

Sounds like a great trip

Just back from a 12 day adventure Prince Rupert, Port Hardy and finishing up in Port McNeill. Fish PR in am at low slack, 4 salmon pretty quick. Cookie cutters in the 12-15 pd range. Headed to Rivers Inlet, feeder springs to 26 pd, across to PH, low slack again 26 pd largest, 6" spoons. Limited out pretty quick in area 111 that was open. PH Charter business pretty much non existent do to closures. No Hali for us which was a disappointment. Weather was typical West Coast good and bad. Our 150 mile longest travel day was mostly pleasurable but tons of debris everywhere with isolated showers. Excellent trip over all with a $2500 Yamy 350 fuel bill ranging from $1.97 to $1.45 per litre in PM. PR Cow Bay was steep long with Shearwater and Dawson Landing.

Just back from a 12 day adventure Prince Rupert, Port Hardy and finishing up in Port McNeill. Fish PR in am at low slack, 4 salmon pretty quick. Cookie cutters in the 12-15 pd range. Headed to Rivers Inlet, feeder springs to 26 pd, across to PH, low slack again 26 pd largest, 6" spoons. Limited out pretty quick in area 111 that was open. PH Charter business pretty much non existent do to closures. No Hali for us which was a disappointment. Weather was typical West Coast good and bad. Our 150 mile longest travel day was mostly pleasurable but tons of debris everywhere with isolated showers. Excellent trip over all with a $2500 Yamy 350 fuel bill ranging from $1.97 to $1.45 per litre in PM. PR Cow Bay was steep long with Shearwater and Dawson Landing.

My dream trip.

So did you guys trailer up to P.R. if so how did you get your trailers back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back