2019 Port Hardy Reports

Discussion in '2019 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2019.

1. SFBC

SFBC Admin Staff Member

Post your 2019 fishing reports here!

meathook likes this.
  2. Mike1266

Mike1266 New Member

Hi guys, Planning a trip by end of April into May, is there any good fishing up there in that time?

It's my first time going up there this early in the year, and I'm hoping to hook into some Salmon, Rockfish, Lingcod and REALLY HOPEFULLY some Halibut.
    Is it too early for hali's at that time?

Also, how are the water conditions and the weather in April-May usually?

Thanks a lot

3. bottom feeder

bottom feeder Active Member

Serrengeti is fantastic were going in first week june lotsa everything water nice - they have never cancelled a charter

4. BearCove

BearCove Crew Member

Mike,

If weather cooperates you should have no problem catching some fish. Salmon will be the toughest as you will be a bit early for any solid numbers. That being said there should be some winter feeders around.

Lots of places to catch some rock fish and Lings, have a look at your charts and start bouncing some rock piles.

Should be some halibut in the area, not a ton of them but if you put in your time I don’t see why you would be able to find a couple

Best of luck!

5. Mike1266

Mike1266 New Member

Thank you BearCove,

I've done a little searching and it looks like Rockfish and Lingcod are closed until May, which made me a bit sad, but I guess that gives me time to focus on some salmon and halibut.

I read on many sites that the sand flats off the airport are a good place to fish for halibut. Does this mean they are in shallower water? or is it very far out from the airport? My boat isn't too big, so I'm wondering if it will

be a good idea to go too far.

6. Mike1266

Mike1266 New Member

So it looks like I won't be fishing for any salmon while there.... coho is closed until June 1st and now chinook is closed as well. rocks and lings also closed until May. Looks like we can only try for halibut until the start of May.

7. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Crew Member

anyone know if nahwitti is open? hard to tell from the regs

8. bottom feeder

bottom feeder Active Member

yes it is - talked to my guide all areas 12 are closed - north of that is open

9. Bordeau

Bordeau Active Member

How is lingcod and halibut fishing this spring? Is it worth making the long trip up island?

10. BearCove

BearCove Crew Member

I don’t know if many that have been out yet with the non retention of Chinook it makes it tougher heading out for 1 long, 1 cod and 1 halibut.

My boats are still on trailers, most likely till early June.

That being said, there should be some fish to be had as it just opened up.

11. Bordeau

Bordeau Active Member

Yes that's what my crew and I are debating.

Waiting after July 15 will make more economic sense.