2019 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna give Barkley and the inlet a go, sandheads is on definitely on fire but be been lots and have had some amazing bites there. Haven’t fished out of Alberni yet and it’s basically my backyard, the family voted it’s more about the experience I’m sure we’ll get fish. Looking forward to checking out the area.
Good choice , your back yard ??? Haha, So now your gonna pull a 60lb from there lol ..Good Luck on my Island lol PS fishing sandheads is Awesome right now

Fished the inlet just west of China creek this morning. Great first light bite on a herring aid spoon, pink hootchie and anchovies. We trolled across to the beach at Mactush and picked up another couple. Pink hootchies seemed best, 40-80’ on the rigger.

The inlet is producing moderately well right now.
Some days are better than others and not everyone is catching fish.
Depth and speed are more important than gear (it seems). 40 foot range and 2.2mph.
This morning there were at least 200 boats between Sproat Narrows and Lone Tree. People were holding their tacks which was very nice!

The big question for me is what will the rest of the coming week look like since the commercial boats were all over the place biding their time.

Does anyone know what is happening with the commercial and FN openings over the next week?
I'm unable to locate the notices on DFO's website.

Heard from multiple people today fishing was good, limits for a lot and if not, some fish for the others. Just assuming, but this weekend should be good!

I haven’t seen any reports for a while. Going to head up to China creek tomorrow. I know there is a commercial opening tonight. Hope there is some fresh fish Thursday. How is everyone doing for luck fishing lately? Thanks

I haven't been but know three different parties that have been fishing the China Creek. One this morning with 4 springs and 2 coho before 9. The other two parties did very well on previous days as well.

We stopped in at stamp narrows on our way back from Barkley on Sunday, my 7 year old landed a 16 which we hit pretty quickly on a herring aid skinny g. This was around lunch time so not the best time to fish either. We had spent the morning fishing Assits island with no luck

Kinda off topic but I was just talking to the manager at the Chevron in Port Alberni and she said she will open at 4am for the derby this weekend. So if you need fuel, ice etc they're open.

I hope that they have reached a decent escapement as it seems like a lot of fish are going to get taken over the next week.

I know each year is different but I was curious how long the fishing is decent in the canal for springs and coho. Hoping to get a few more days in September and maybe even early October.

Can anyone give me the link for the derby results?

https://www.albernivalleynews.com/p...im-boorman-wins-port-alberni-salmon-festival/

"
Jim Boorman of Qualicum Beach caught his 32.4-pound Tyee on Saturday, Aug. 31, but he was still feeling “overwhelmed” on Monday afternoon when his catch was announced as the $15,000 winner of Port Alberni’s 48th annual Salmon Festival.

“It took a lot of effort,” he said of his fish, which was caught between China Creek and Lone Tree on the Alberni Inlet at around 2 p.m. on Saturday. “We didn’t even realize it was a keeper at first.”"

Saturday:

1. Jim Boorman (Qualicum Beach) (32.4)

2. John Leckie (Christina Lake) (31.4)

3. Alan Francoeur (Port Alberni) (28.4)

Sunday:

1. Jim Lawson (Port Alberni) (28.06)

2. Creg Yurechko (Burnaby) (27.12)

3. Colin Haime (Ladysmith) (26.0)

Monday:

1. Josh Harvey (Port Alberni) (29.6)

2. Jerry Coupal (Port Alberni) (25.10)

3. Darren Simpson (Port Alberni) (25.0)