2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey RBOY
Mr Mike is bang on. Calculate your drive time and the beating on your rig vs a great 2 hour cruise over to Esperanza / Port Eliza Lodge through the inside...you should be able to average 20 to 25 kn all the way, and yeah you got plenty of boat for the run. I launched my 28 pursuit on the pm high slack with no issues...just pay attention for the rock pile off the end of the ramp.
Hey Mr Mike when can we expect to see you in camp ?
Hi Ron, I'll be arriving around the 21 or so, may anchor in Mary Basin for a night or two if Ferrer remains open. Will be at Port Eliza Lodge beginning on the 25 and staying for about three weeks. What is your itinerary? Look forward to swapping stories with you. See you soon!

At least our at risk Clayoquot Chiniooks will get into their sanctuary areas where we can fish them
Spoken well, just like a true fisherman. Regardless of what nautical line separates open and closed there are an abundance of places to not just fish but do some serious catching!! WCVI is a fisherman's paradise. Hope you have a wonderful season.

Reactions: Fox
Just back from Tahsis-road is holding up-the one unpaved big hill at 18km approx. from gold river end is still washboardy as hell-take care. Fishing has been good to excellent-Ferreir produced well for my clients on sat and sun. died a bit yesterday but was picked up by a good bite off high rocks-good size coho around. Legal ling are a bit of a bear-depends where the long liners worked. Having to Seaqualize quite a number of yellow eye-bit of a pain until you get a system-I use the rigger and my quick connect and keep it hooked up and ready to go while I am bottom fishing. DFO are around and very fast-so make sure everything is in order and don't spoil your vacation. Ramp at Tahsis is very shallow so check your tides-also try to stay away from afternoon launches and recoveries --the wind can make things very difficult.
Spring Fever, do you clip the fish lip with the Scotty quick release and send the fish back down with the rigger? I'm trying to not spend the money on a Sequalizer.

Gents, I bought a odd looking contraption from Cabelas in Nanimo last week for $8.99 and it worked awesome. it has a swivel on the top and bottom and a wire hook on it. All we did was attached 2 1lb weights to one end and the top swivel to our rod and drop it down...worked awesome. really no need to spend the money on the seaquilizer.

Spring Fever, do you clip the fish lip with the Scotty quick release and send the fish back down with the rigger? I'm trying to not spend the money on a Sequalizer.

That does not work, it won’t grab anything on the fish and will just slide out. Just get the seaqualizer or one of those cheaper ones (but they will occupy a rod as I don’t think the upward force of the DR is enough to shake them off).

That does not work, it won’t grab anything on the fish and will just slide out. Just get the seaqualizer or one of those cheaper ones (but they will occupy a rod as I don’t think the upward force of the DR is enough to shake them off).

Well it worked awesome for me, that being said i give it 2 thumbs up. its not designed to grab anything.

No -I put the seaqualizer on the 5 ft quick release line-keep the cannon ball just over the side at water level so I am ready to go. I know guys don't want to spend the bucks but it's easy and quick plus works well!

Just back from a few days at Nootka. Unfortunately only fished a few hours over 4 days. Main motor blew up on us out at Beano. Back in Victoria now getting a new F250 installed tomorrow. Anyway, Wash Rock was on fire, from everything I saw and people I talked to. Saw lots of 20 lb range fish brought in. We managed to pick up a small 10lb Spring at Saavedra the few hours we fished that we released. Back up Monday and I know the first place I’m headed.

Hi Gord, sorry to here about your trip. There is nothing that blows more than boat trouble out here. I knew you were coming and thought I would see you out here.

The fishing has been as good as I’ve seen it in a long time. The Light, Eagle, Wash and Beano have been really good.

This morning my guests were tagged out and decided they were going to sleep in this am and wait for the plane so out I went by myself.

No a normal person on his 25th day of guiding would have taken the opportunity to sleep in, but NOOOOOO I got up and went fishing myself.

I stopped at Eagle and couldn’t get more than one rod down. I left the Lodge at 0520 and by 0645 I played 6 Springs and released them and came back by 0700. I did keep a couple of Coho’s.

Hope to see you on your next trip.

I heard a story that the road to the Boat ramp in Gold River was blocked due to a local Native protest yesterday any truth to this?
Word came from a resident in Gold River.

There were pickets at the forestry company sites across from the boat launch and again at the other location close to Gold River. They weren't FN, they were local forestry unionized employees carrying picket signs. Thats what I saw. Never saw any FN protests unless it happened at 3 pm when I drove out.

Sorry, but although I’ve been going to Nootka for a decade, I don’t know where “Eagle” is. Anyone help me out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back