2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is nootka for hiding from the wind if the wind picks up? Similar to bamfield being able to hide behind a point ?
Hoping to camp at friendly cove and fish near and around.
Running a 17 whaler, not worried about a bit of sporty weather just don't want to be un fishable. Do have common sense as well...
just curious if it's worth the risk of getting stuck out there with to much wind or if I'll be able to find some tacks.

Running from gold river, run in the morning or evening for best conditions ?

We go in a 16 ft Whaler (Dauntless) and are mindful of the weather. Last year we spent a lot of time out past the lighthouse to Maquinna. We watch the reports daily, and if it’s questionable we opt inside. Winds usually pickup in the PM so we always left before then.

Hey guys. I've lurked on this forum for quite a few years and appreciate all the great info. In the past I've always launched at GR for my Nootka trips but now fish the Esperanza side. How many of you have towed into Zeballos for fishing the north end? Is the shorter boat run worth the gravel road?

Boat size would probably help. 22 Seasport and 2530 Parker

Hey guys. I've lurked on this forum for quite a few years and appreciate all the great info. In the past I've always launched at GR for my Nootka trips but now fish the Esperanza side. How many of you have towed into Zeballos for fishing the north end? Is the shorter boat run worth the gravel road?

don’t know where you’re coming from but from CR to Zeballos turn off it’s about 2hours towing a boat. the gravel road from highway 19 to zeballos is quite well maintained but has some big long steep grades so your trailer brakes etc better be in order. then its about 45 kms of dirt, dragging a trailer that’s about an hour 20 minutes minimum;
( beautiful scenery tho ) when you launch it’s about 40 minutes of running your boat to the fishing grounds

if you have a breakdown you’re in the middle of no where; the steep grades out of xeballos eat tires; i (got two flats getting out of xeballos once in my work truck) time, dust factor all over boat and gear and reels etc. in my opinion it’s not worth it

Hello, Welcome to the "Esperanza side". This will be my 32nd year fishing Esperanza so plenty of experience on the gravel roads, flats, dust, etc. I didn't see you mention where you will be staying. There is not too much difference between Zeballos and Tahsis regarding boating time to the fishing grounds. Zeballos is closer but the road into Tahsis is much improved. Personally I launch in GR and leave the truck and trailer in the secured native lot. No issues. I will be staying at Port Eliza Lodge, fabulous BYOB spot. Best regards, Mike

Hello, Welcome to the "Esperanza side". This will be my 32nd year fishing Esperanza so plenty of experience on the gravel roads, flats, dust, etc. I didn't see you mention where you will be staying. There is not too much difference between Zeballos and Tahsis regarding boating time to the fishing grounds. Zeballos is closer but the road into Tahsis is much improved. Personally I launch in GR and leave the truck and trailer in the secured native lot. No issues. I will be staying at Port Eliza Lodge, fabulous BYOB spot. Best regards, Mike

Hey RBOY
Mr Mike is bang on. Calculate your drive time and the beating on your rig vs a great 2 hour cruise over to Esperanza / Port Eliza Lodge through the inside...you should be able to average 20 to 25 kn all the way, and yeah you got plenty of boat for the run. I launched my 28 pursuit on the pm high slack with no issues...just pay attention for the rock pile off the end of the ramp.
Hey Mr Mike when can we expect to see you in camp ?

Hey RBOY
Mr Mike is bang on. Calculate your drive time and the beating on your rig vs a great 2 hour cruise over to Esperanza / Port Eliza Lodge through the inside...you should be able to average 20 to 25 kn all the way, and yeah you got plenty of boat for the run. I launched my 28 pursuit on the pm high slack with no issues...just pay attention for the rock pile off the end of the ramp.
Hey Mr Mike when can we expect to see you in camp ?

Thank you all for the reply's. For years we put in at GR and stay at NSR but have now moved up to Newton. I had a feeling if the road was all that great going into Zeballos more guys would be doing it! Maps never tell you the boat trailer death toll only experience!!!!

Last two trips to esperanza i have driven into zeballos. 45- 60 min drive on gravel road. Pretty decent shape. Really depends on where you're fishing and mooring. If you have an accident and need medical attention you are alot closer to hospital (Port McNeil). Used to stay in Tahsis. Long boat rides, lots of fuel. Back in September at Flynn's cove.

Heading up to Esperanza on the 12th or 13th of July for 5 days, usually we are in Nootka for this same timeframe. We will be anchoring out during our trip.

Wondering if anyone has heard if we are going to get hit with the July 15th closures of the last few years (Ironically the day it would open up to head offshore)?

Otherwise generally speaking would it be correct to assume this will mostly be a surf-line and offshore type fishery at that time, with the inside past Rosa etc. probably not turning on yet?

Also wondering if anyone knows if any of the lodges in the area (Port Eliza, Newton Cove, etc.) will sell fuel, ice, water, restaurant meals, or fish processing to non lodge guests. I'm going to contact them directly as well, just wondering if anyone knows from personal experience. Otherwise based on the searches I've done here on the forum, etc., it looks like the closest fuel dock is "Esperanza fuel" back towards Tahsis narrows - would I be correct about that?

Thanks!

Hi "Irish Coffee".....The Gold River boat ramp and parking open at 5:30 AM daily. It will be staffed at that time so you can pay up and get into the gated compound. It is a very good ramp, with convenient parking. Just don't launch on a tide that is less than about 4 feet, and more than that if you have a larger boat. We like to launch with at least 7 feet of tide with our 24 ft'r......

Heading up to Esperanza on the 12th or 13th of July for 5 days, usually we are in Nootka for this same timeframe. We will be anchoring out during our trip.

Wondering if anyone has heard if we are going to get hit with the July 15th closures of the last few years (Ironically the day it would open up to head offshore)?

Otherwise generally speaking would it be correct to assume this will mostly be a surf-line and offshore type fishery at that time, with the inside past Rosa etc. probably not turning on yet?

Also wondering if anyone knows if any of the lodges in the area (Port Eliza, Newton Cove, etc.) will sell fuel, ice, water, restaurant meals, or fish processing to non lodge guests. I'm going to contact them directly as well, just wondering if anyone knows from personal experience. Otherwise based on the searches I've done here on the forum, etc., it looks like the closest fuel dock is "Esperanza fuel" back towards Tahsis narrows - would I be correct about that?

Thanks!
Yeah your best bet for fuel will probably be Esperanza. I am heading up on July 10th and will be fishing the 11th through 13th staying in Tahsis. Will be in a red 20’ Wooldridge with a black soft top and Honda outboard. Willing to share intel if you want to send me a PM.

Gabe

Well, just finished a 4 day stint at Moucha Bay and the fishing was good to excellent. The usual spots like Wash Rock, Manquina and Beano were great. Seemed like anything white was the ticket. The 2 of us released over 30 springs alone on Saturday. 15-18lbs averages with a 22.5lb and a 24.2lb which gave us the winning fish in the Moucha Bay Derby. Back in August for 2 weeks.

road from Gold River is approx 40% oiled or paved and well graded. travel time from Tahsis to Rosa is approx 45 min at 22mph. have done this many times over the last 15 years.

Just back from Tahsis-road is holding up-the one unpaved big hill at 18km approx. from gold river end is still washboardy as hell-take care. Fishing has been good to excellent-Ferreir produced well for my clients on sat and sun. died a bit yesterday but was picked up by a good bite off high rocks-good size coho around. Legal ling are a bit of a bear-depends where the long liners worked. Having to Seaqualize quite a number of yellow eye-bit of a pain until you get a system-I use the rigger and my quick connect and keep it hooked up and ready to go while I am bottom fishing. DFO are around and very fast-so make sure everything is in order and don't spoil your vacation. Ramp at Tahsis is very shallow so check your tides-also try to stay away from afternoon launches and recoveries --the wind can make things very difficult.

Hi "Irish Coffee".....The Gold River boat ramp and parking open at 5:30 AM daily. It will be staffed at that time so you can pay up and get into the gated compound. It is a very good ramp, with convenient parking. Just don't launch on a tide that is less than about 4 feet, and more than that if you have a larger boat. We like to launch with at least 7 feet of tide with our 24 ft'r......
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back