2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much to report for me for fish from a fun weekend camping on the west side of Nootka. There was a few gale warnings and 2-4m swells, which kept us off the water (and up at night worrying about the boat on anchor). That said, the surfing was great and the Cutthroat fishing was some of the best I've had up there. We only fished for chinook for an hour on the way home through Esperanza and released a handful of small Chinook.
I hear you about staying awake wondering about the boat. I've camped on the west coast many times using a loop-line system (500' of line, so the boat is 250' off shore). Re: Cutthroat - Are you just tossing spinners and spoons at the creek mouths?

Not much to report for me for fish from a fun weekend camping on the west side of Nootka. There was a few gale warnings and 2-4m swells, which kept us off the water (and up at night worrying about the boat on anchor). That said, the surfing was great and the Cutthroat fishing was some of the best I've had up there. We only fished for chinook for an hour on the way home through Esperanza and released a handful of small Chinook.
I've often wondered if there is a spot to anchor and go ashore to camp in that area. We camp on Bligh Island but would like to try someplace new. Would you mind sharing where you stay?

It’s closed to Chinook until July 15 based on the 1 mile surf line GPS co/ords DFO issued. I assume post July 15 it will be open but who knows. Maybe @Twinstrike can tell us if DFO committed to opening offshore after July 15.

I've often wondered if there is a spot to anchor and go ashore to camp in that area. We camp on Bligh Island but would like to try someplace new. Would you mind sharing where you stay?
Camping at Friendly Cove is super convenient. Just tie up at the dock and camp on the grassy field. It's beautiful and you'll sleep well knowing your boat is secured. They even have some crappy cabins to rent there.

It’s closed to Chinook until July 15 based on the 1 mile surf line GPS co/ords DFO issued. I assume post July 15 it will be open but who knows. Maybe @Twinstrike can tell us if DFO committed to opening offshore after July 15.
As of now the offshore of area 125 is planned to be open as if the 15th of July. Hopefully this stays in place.

Fishing has been a little slow the last few days in Esperanza. While it has been dry and sunny, high winds have kept boats away from the beach spots like Ferrer, and away from offshore bottom fishing. There have been some feeders in the inlet, and a few fish to 15lbs. Some calmer winds over the next couple of days should help.

Attachments

• 20190525_132922.jpg
    20190525_132922.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 163
As of now the offshore of area 125 is planned to be open as if the 15th of July. Hopefully this stays in place.

Outside waters may be open but Bajo usually closes July 15th so it will be interesting to see if the annual Bajo reef closures continue as they have been or if they will change due to these other new restrictions. Maybe Bajo will be off limits for Chinook retention going forward. They normally post it on July 15th is the problem for closures starting that day.

Heading to Nootka June 09 to start my 100 days of guiding.

There has already been some good reports of Salmon and Halibut fishing.

I'll send some updates when I get out and get the gear in the water.

Good luck to all this season.

A couple of Buddies and I are heading up on Friday... Hope the winds are not too bad. Love the posts.... getting stoked. I was going to ask how deep you were hitting the springs but it does change... lol I'll find them.

Cheers, Rob

Marsman, the Springs were right on the bottom off of Wash Rock.

There was lots of bait and it was all deep.

Thanks for the info. We are there for bottom fish but a couple of springs for a meal would be nice.... We will be in a 17' welded center console with high sides.

Just for info I'm heading up to Tahsis with the Spring Fever II on the 10th June. I'll be guiding out of Westview all summer. Drop by and say hi-I'm always open with info-good or bad!! Many thanks to Doug of D &D charters out of Sooke for helping me get my ORCA certified.

Thanks Spring Fever. I'm always happy to help. Good Luck with your chartering and now that I have sold the boat you might just see me up there to go fishing with you.

After a few slow days fishing picked up today with some Chinook to 17Lb s being caught Ferrer, Pin Rock and Rugged reef area. Some boats trolled the bottom for bottom fish pulling up a variety of Halibut, ling cod and rockfish.

Attachments

• 20190603_160602.jpg
    20190603_160602.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 20190604_144959.jpg
    20190604_144959.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 183
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back