2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
They aren’t applying the options A or B to area 25 are they? The way I interpreted things was “just” the offshore 125. Should still be July retention inside of Maquinna to Escalante.

The “terminal fisheries” should be unaffected by option A or B so yeah Conuma fish fit that bill. Early july can be hit or miss in Nootka especially if you can’t fish the highway. this is why i was asking about trip durations from Nootka to Rosa and Ferrer because i think the jaunt up Tahsis inlet may be worth it. We’ll see i guess

Fished a couple of tides out of Port Eliza on the weekend, hit a few keepers between Double Island and Inner black rock. No halibut, but one nice ling at the Pins. would have been a keeper once they are open. Prawning in Port Eliza Inlet had been very good, slowed down a bit lately though . Calm seas, great weather for the end of march!

Just checked the DFO site. I don't see any closures around Bajo itself. Still the triangle closure west of Bajo. Is this real or will they come out later with more closures? Looks like 2 chinook/day. Possession of 4. Yay!

Just checked the DFO site. I don't see any closures around Bajo itself. Still the triangle closure west of Bajo. Is this real or will they come out later with more closures? Looks like 2 chinook/day. Possession of 4. Yay!

Those are still last years regulations, new ones for 2019 are expected any day now. If DFO goes for option B hopefully there will be little difference from last year (2/4) with the offshore areas open (they could decide to go 1/2). If Its option A the offshore areas will be closed until the end of July, but area 25 should still be open inshore, hopefully with 2/4. We will see soon.

Hi all, new here and also new to the BC fishing scene. I've been following along trying to glean as much information as possible for our first venture up there. We are bringing 3 boats/crews to Critter Cove for the first week of July and right now have our fingers crossed the seasons stay the same as last year. Coming from southern Oregon we are trying to escape the dismal salmon seasons and quotas down here. Looking forward to this adventure. Hope to see some of you there. If your ever down in our area for tuna give me a shout.
Main vessel is the Shirley Mae

Hi Codfather

I have a hunch that were going to be ok up there this year,hopefullly news should be out tomorrow I believe.Im praying as we speak for flat seas....

Tight Lines
Billydoo

Hi Codfather

I have a hunch that were going to be ok up there this year,hopefullly news should be out tomorrow I believe.Im praying as we speak for flat seas....

Tight Lines
Billydoo
Well I hope you’re right or a lotta people are going to be #^{£}!’ed.

Sorry to disappoint boys but I hear from pretty reliable sources the recommend was A-so have a hard look at what that does to Nootka-think Beano will be ok-out to the surf line. Believe coho will be more relaxed--at least off esperanza-not sure on Nootka. Maybe the minister will have Balls because it is down to him now-if he cares about the economy at all he might lighten up a bit-but the smart money says A

EPS, you will enjoy staying at Critter Cove and Nootka. The first part of July is a offshore fishery for the most part. Bajo and the Hwy are the most common spots then.

So let’s hope proposal A is not picked or we are $&*%#.

Regardless of A or B it will be an adventure for us. We are pretty adept at finding fish regardless. What would remain to be seen will be if we make it a yearly trip or end up dragging the boats to a different location till the fishing returns. (think southern and tropical lol)

I can say from experience, that when we had a 2 year closure down here, the other fish populations were decimated being the only options and it did nothing for the salmon.

The way I seen the line for proposal A it goes from Maquina Pt across to Escalante. Everything outside of that is closed.

Can you imagine all the boats waiting around Maquina for some fish to move from offshore.

It's not until mid July before there are any kind of numbers of Springs that move towards the inside.

The other night was the first time CHEX had a couple minutes of news about the closures.

The way I seen the line for proposal A it goes from Maquina Pt across to Escalante. Everything outside of that is closed.

Can you imagine all the boats waiting around Maquina for some fish to move from offshore.

It's not until mid July before there are any kind of numbers of Springs that move towards the inside.

The other night was the first time CHEX had a couple minutes of news about the closures.

Area 125 would be off limits under Proposal A. Thats the way I interpret it as well. Escalante to Maquina Pt would be the line.

Area 125 would be off limits under Proposal A. Thats the way I interpret it as well. Escalante to Maquina Pt would be the line.

Technically what was in the proposal if it was option A was: No Measure for WCVI ISBM, which would include fisheries inside 1NM off shore, but for simplicity they would probably just close all of 125 as you mention. The fish do come in earlier into Esperanza, our boundary under "A"would probably be Tatchu to Ferrer which has a lot of spots to fish, so I don't think option A would kill things in our area. Not having the offshore option, which is less than a 30min run for us would certainly not be optimalthough.

Sorry to disappoint boys but I hear from pretty reliable sources the recommend was A

I also have friends at DFO, and they say they have no clue what the decision will be, it is being held very tight to the vest, and only the highest guys know. Anyone leaking it would be in some hot water. We will just have to wait and see, I hope you are wrong (as you probably are too).

As most of you know the updated regulations have been posted on the DFO website. For the areas around Esperanza inlet the new regulations are:

WCVI Subareas 20-1, 20-2, Area 121, and Areas 123 to 127 seaward of a 1 nm Boundary Line. The Boundary Line is defined below:
00:01 hours April 19 to 23:59 hours July 14, 2019: Chinook non-retention;
00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2019: 2 Chinook per day
The Boundary Line is approximately 1nm seaward of the surfline and is defined as follows:
49 degrees 44.400' N 127 degrees 00.289' W seaward of Ferrer Point,
then to 49 degrees 50.767' N 127 degrees 10.151' W seaward of Tatchu Point.

Until July 15 Chinook retention of 2 per day is only allowed within area 25 and 1nm out from the boundary. Like all of you we are extremely disappointed in the decision made by minister Wilkinson and believe a true science based decision would not have resulted in this assault on the public fishery in BC. However, we are still open for BYOB and guided fishing as of May 31, and are fortunate to have very close access just few minutes run from the lodge for spots such as Ferrer, Tatchu, Double Island, Black Rock, Rosa, Garden and others that will produce fish through June and the rest of the summer. We can still fish the "highway" and retain hatchery coho as well as catch and release any Chinook in the period leading up to July 15th.

We will continue to support any efforts by the sportfishing community to communicate our position, put pressure on political parties or individuals, and support the efforts of the Pacific Pinniped Balance society to reduce predation pressure on critical stocks.

As most of you know the updated regulations have been posted on the DFO website. For the areas around Esperanza inlet the new regulations are:

WCVI Subareas 20-1, 20-2, Area 121, and Areas 123 to 127 seaward of a 1 nm Boundary Line. The Boundary Line is defined below:
The Boundary Line is approximately 1nm seaward of the surfline and is defined as follows:

Until July 15 Chinook retention of 2 per day is only allowed within area 25 and 1nm out from the boundary. Like all of you we are extremely disappointed in the decision made by minister Wilkinson and believe a true science based decision would not have resulted in this assault on the public fishery in BC. However, we are still open for BYOB and guided fishing as of May 31, and are fortunate to have very close access just few minutes run from the lodge for spots such as Ferrer, Tatchu, Double Island, Black Rock, Rosa, Garden and others that will produce fish through June and the rest of the summer. We can still fish the "highway" and retain hatchery coho as well as catch and release any Chinook in the period leading up to July 15th.

We will continue to support any efforts by the sportfishing community to communicate our position, put pressure on political parties or individuals, and support the efforts of the Pacific Pinniped Balance society to reduce predation pressure on critical stocks.

Thanks for breaking down the open and closed areas, this very helpful! Also good to see your support!

Nice to have your input. Really looking forward to staying with you again this season. Ferrer being open all season is a real bonus. It can really light up at times. Getting excited.

Nice to have your input. Really looking forward to staying with you again this season. Ferrer being open all season is a real bonus. It can really light up at times. Getting excited.

We look forward to seeing you at the Lodge! With the Conuma and other runs not having any commercial fishing pressure until late in the season, the fishing in Esperanza may be very good. We aren't sure if Ferrer will be open all season, they have closed it on July 15th in the past so we expect to have it available for retention during the offshore non-retention period. . If they do close it again at the same time the offshore Chinook fishery will open at the same time to replace it.

Any Coho forecasts out there?

I haven't seen forecasts specifically for Nootka rivers, but the forecasts for the Columbia River and WA rivers is very strong this year due to imporoved ocean conditions. Over 1 million fish vs about 250,000 last year and a ten year average of about 450,000. Many of those coho will be travelling down the WCVI so I suspect there could be some extremely good coho fishing offshore , especially if other runs in Southern BC and Puget sound are also stronger.
https://www.chinookobserver.com/lif...cle_3e3933fe-3149-11e9-ab2a-939ef02c0b6c.html

The Coho fishing is always good in Esperanza in August well into September for the Local runs. Hopefully those are also strong, and there is usually retention of unmarked fish in the inlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back