2019 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. The coho changes in the July 11th update could of been worded better...and a colored map of the update would of been a nice touch like in previous years....but here’s the deal:

Effective immediately, so as 137pm on the July 11, 2019 update, you can keep 4 coho per day in Area 25-4 and 25-5 ONLY (this is the area east of Bligh Island, so not really coho season there yet).
Only 2 of those 4 per day can be hatchery.

The rest of Area 25 is still 2 hatchery coho only until July 15. So one part of the update opens Area 25-4 and 25-5 a few days early. Make sense?

Effective July 15, 2019 all the rest of Area 25 opens up for the same new limits.
4 coho per day. Only 2 can be hatchery.
And the 2 day Possession limit is now 8 coho if you are fishing Area 25.

These new daily limits and possession limits are in place till Dec 31.

So if you are there next week, after July 15th, all of area 25 is open to 4 coho per day, only 2 can be hatchery.
8 coho possession limit.
But of course if you keep 4 coho in a day, then you cannot keep any other salmon (ie: springs) as the max salmon daily limit remains at 4 per day.

Hope that helps.
This can't be right ("only 2 can be hatchery". After July 15, in area 25, limit is 4 coho per day, of which only 2 can be UNMARKED, i.e., native. That would suggest that we can keep 4 hatchery coho.

This can't be right ("only 2 can be hatchery". After July 15, in area 25, limit is 4 coho per day, of which only 2 can be UNMARKED, i.e., native. That would suggest that we can keep 4 hatchery coho.
Yup. I completely agree. And it’s why I mentioned a page back that it’s been written poorly.
I think the intended goal is 4 per day....2 hatchery and 2 wild.
The way it’s currently written its allowing 4 hatchery coho a day.
And in my previous post the hatchery should read “unmarked”.

Last edited:
Is there a map out there of the new regs for spring retention?

I believe this is the regs.
Fishing regs after July 15

Coho

Area 25

Maquinna to Escalante 4 per day if no springs or 2 & 2

Area 125 hatchery only no retention wild fish

Springs

Area 25 & 125

2 per day over 45 cm

Southern BC Recreational Fisheries:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
WCVI Subareas 20-1 and 20-2, and offshore Area 121, as well as Areas 123 to 127
seaward of a 1 nm Boundary Line.

00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours July 31, 2019, 2 Chinook per day with a
maximum size of 80 cm.
00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2019, 2 Chinook per day

I believe this is the regs.
Fishing regs after July 15

Coho

Area 25

Maquinna to Escalante 4 per day if no springs or 2 & 2

Area 125 hatchery only no retention wild fish

Springs

Area 25 & 125

2 per day over 45 cm

I don't think that is quite right.

After July 15 (now) there is a slot limit for springs in 125 --- 45-80cm

also can have 4 coho in 25, but in most areas two have to be clipped.

Then there is the finfish closures (Bajo)

HB

I don't think that is quite right.

After July 15 (now) there is a slot limit for springs in 125 --- 45-80cm

also can have 4 coho in 25, but in most areas two have to be clipped.

Then there is the finfish closures (Bajo)

HB

What you mean to say is only 2 Coho can be wild on the inside. Outside is no wild, only hatchery clipped. And the slot limit outside is from 1Nm and out. Within 1Nm you can keep 2 springs over 45cm. Outside 1Nm only 2 springs between 45-80cm.

And then there's the Halibut possession limits, 1 daily up to 126cm, but 2 possession if both are under 90cm, but only 1 if its over 90cm.

We were just over there for all of last week. Fishing for Springs outside was very good at all of the normal spots in real tight to the rocks. Had excellent success of standard green flashers with silver foil, and white cuttlefish or squid-type hoochies fished right on bottom early in the day. Later switched to white "Casper" type hoochies with the red eye. Did very well.....

Glad to see you made it home safe Pacemaker. Did you fish the usual haunts. Are you still heading out the first weekend in August? We are there on the 2nd.

We were just over there for all of last week. Fishing for Springs outside was very good at all of the normal spots in real tight to the rocks. Had excellent success of standard green flashers with silver foil, and white cuttlefish or squid-type hoochies fished right on bottom early in the day. Later switched to white "Casper" type hoochies with the red eye. Did very well.....

How tight are we talking? 30-40 feet of water?

Anyone been on the Cougar creek section of road lately? Will be there in a week.

Glad to see you made it home safe Pacemaker. Did you fish the usual haunts. Are you still heading out the first weekend in August? We are there on the 2nd.

Hi Wayne,
Yes, we fished the usual spots, and did well in all of them using the above mentioned gear entirely. Didn't chuck a 'chovie over the side at all this trip. Plastic was working just fine.....Yes, we head back there on August 3rd for a while. Should be fun, see you there....

Last edited:
How tight are we talking? 30-40 feet of water?

Anyone been on the Cougar creek section of road lately? Will be there in a week.

Hi Donnie,
Yes, 30 - 40 feet of water would be fine, right on bottom. Constantly have to watch the sounder for depth, GPS for surprise nuggets and speed. Too expensive on gear otherwise... Definitely full contact fishing, working the gear hard continually, no time for the driver to be lolly-gagging around, out for a "nice cruise"......From reports, the road into Nesook from the Tahsis road was in good shape, while the road from Nesook to Cougar Creek was in it's normal state of disrepair....

Hi Donnie,
Yes, 30 - 40 feet of water would be fine, right on bottom. Constantly have to watch the sounder for depth, GPS for surprise nuggets and speed. Too expensive on gear otherwise... Definitely full contact fishing, working the gear hard continually, no time for the driver to be lolly-gagging around, out for a "nice cruise"......From reports, the road into Nesook from the Tahsis road was in good shape, while the road from Nesook to Cougar Creek was in it's normal state of disrepair....

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back