2019 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’m looking to head out prawning off croften/tent island, and I can’t find any info about if there’s pulse fishing in the area this time of year. It looks to me like it’s just open, but it can be challenging for me to navigate the dfo site at times. Any info would be appreciated

No prawning at the moment in that area. From my understanding if it doesn't have a species limit it's closed. Maybe April 1 but who knows yet.
Screenshot_20190309-170139_FishingBC.jpg

Picked up an 8 pounder off the double bumps this afternoon. Hit a “derby winner” bigeye spoon. Fish was a hatchery red. 2 large herring in the gut.

This review came in two days ago on a Nanaimo Guide review page.
"2 days ago
Captain Len is really awesome and put us right into the fish right away, caught some big salmon well over 30lbs... "
Really???

This review came in two days ago on a Nanaimo Guide review page.
"2 days ago
Captain Len is really awesome and put us right into the fish right away, caught some big salmon well over 30lbs... "
Really???

30 Lbs? :eek:

Its still pretty much a feeder/winter show here now. Some could be beginning to show up. That is a little bit of a stretch I think. Multiples at 30LBS this time a year I find hard to believe.

Last edited:
Who calls someone really awesome anyway. Totally false without pics it never happened. Lol. Wait and see I guess

30 Lbs? :eek:

Its still pretty much a feeder/winter show here now. Some could be beginning to show up. That is a little bit of a stretch I think. Multiples at 30LBS this time a year I find hard to believe.

In late April/ early May 2010, I came back to the dock in Nanoose and saw a guy doing his first fishing trip ever in a new boat. He had no idea what he was doing and when I asked how the day went he said he only got 1 but it was over 40 lbs. I laughed and said bs let’s see that. Sure as **** he opens his cooler and an absolute hog 42 lber is sitting on ice!

That said agreed, i call bs haha

Maybe the guy meant 30 pounds total for the day. There have been of few of the hatchery white in the high teens showing up offshore though

Unfortunately some charters need to wright there own reviews :rolleyes:, not saying that’s the case here..but ya anything’s possible right? o_O

I think there are a lot more interesting questions than weight. Where do they come from? What are they eating? What is eating them? Do they have a vaible habitat to return to and reproduce?
Big fi$h are exciting, but way sown my list of what is important

Roger that. I was out Sunday at thrasher for a few hours. Had 2 undersize but that was about it. Should start to pick up in the next couple weeks.

We were out yesterday from 8am until 1pm. It was still pretty rough out there from the day before. We found a few shakers before we got this 14lber.

She was stuffed with herring! 200' down on 3.5" Irish cream spoon.

I had a big 6" plug in my hand early in the morning but it never ended up going down...

IMG_2776.jpg IMG_2778.jpg

We were out yesterday from 8am until 1pm. It was still pretty rough out there from the day before. We found a few shakers before we got this 14lber.

She was stuffed with herring! 200' down on 3.5" Irish cream spoon.

I had a big 6" plug in my hand early in the morning but it never ended up going down...

nice catch

Was out Wednesday, fishing was epic. Landed 4 keepers in the 10 pound range, released 4 just under 62cm, and lost 3. Best was morning tide flip until 10:30, then it shut down. 147 feet on 3.5 Coyote's. Not very many boats out, but great fishing. Also of interest 4 were marked hatchery fish....so 50% mark rate on the fish we encountered.

Was out Wednesday, fishing was epic. Landed 4 keepers in the 10 pound range, released 4 just under 62cm, and lost 3. Best was morning tide flip until 10:30, then it shut down. 147 feet on 3.5 Coyote's. Not very many boats out, but great fishing. Also of interest 4 were marked hatchery fish....so 50% mark rate on the fish we encountered.
I have been catching mostly hatchery fish so far this spring on the Vancouver side, so its nice to know they're around if we go to only 1 hatchery Chinook a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back