2019 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had the same result. Not sure what is going on. Anybody else know? I don’t remember getting blanked so often. I am not even getting undersized Dungeness. Rock crabs - yes. Dingeness- no!

Get used to it, crabbing has been declining for years.
Too much pressure from commercials have sent the rec. catch
spiraling down.

Get used to it, crabbing has been declining for years.
Too much pressure from commercials have sent the rec. catch
spiraling down.
same old same ol...blame it on the commies...
while no one says anything about the year round commercial (not food fish) native fishery happening in deep water with thousands of traps and very large vessels from ACtive pass to twassean and all the way up past airport and into English bay.
It gets reported by the commercial sector , but falls on deaf ears at DFO.
There lies the big problem!!!!
hope you know who to vote for come oct.....and it ain,t Wilkinson and his gang .

Have to agree with Capt hook , I have been seeing Native crabber pulling traps along the airport since April. Trap lines are unmarked so I have to assume there not doing it legally. Although I have to admit this has been one of my best years crabbing. Not sure why but traps are always full.

Get out there guys, unbelievable day today off Nanaimo. Some very large fish moving through. On my afternoon trip we got this 33 pound 40” spring in the first 5 minutes on a double header. Just off the fingers at 135 on a blue meanie. First salmon ever caught for my guests. Cameras at the ready, pulled in for a quick pic and released unharmed. Pics don’t do this fish justice! Dropped my guests off at 5 and went back out for a solo fish because why not! Few fish to the boat in the first couple hours. After no bites for about an hour I was gonna start to pack it in, 5 more minutes I said. Then mayhem ensued. Got a big hit on one side down 250’ already, peeling line like crazy. 10 minutes into the fight the other rod goes off! Massive hit and line screeming out! Now what do I do?! Well basically alternated rods in the rod holders and reeled both fish in going back and forth trying to keep a good bend in both. Just under an hour later landed the first one, had to net, too rough and fish was going insane at the side of the boat to release in water, quick weigh in the net while pulling it in. 22 pounds. Had the camera ready to go, released quick and grabbed the other rod, fish still on!! After some more massive runs finally pulled it in, 23 pounds. Released to swim another day. And yes that net is a rubber catch and release net. I always gaff release fish we're not keeping unless there pretty much trophy fish. Blue meanie hootch and big eye glow green spoon did the job.
Even with the bs that the dfo has done to us and the industry, you can still have a day of a lifetime catching and releasing! Get out there guys! Now I’m exhausted beyond belief and going to bed.
03A620CA-2CCF-4C8A-95AA-F9EE64E3E9B9.jpeg DA7AC662-A883-4A76-89D3-1A06505A773D.jpeg 9E7D8C3D-CB41-4AB5-AB3D-148F14CC923C.jpeg B3EA7E47-1D55-47E6-9EF5-C1715747B439.jpeg

Last edited:
Get out there guys, unbelievable day today off Nanaimo. Some very large fish moving through. On my afternoon trip we got this 33 pound 40” spring in the first 5 minutes on a double header. Just off the fingers at 135 on a blue meanie. First salmon ever caught for my guests. Cameras at the ready, pulled in for a quick pic and released unharmed. Pics don’t do this fish justice! Dropped my guests off at 5 and went back out for a solo fish because why not! Few fish to the boat in the first couple hours. After no bites for about an hour I was gonna start to pack it in, 5 more minutes I said. Then mayhem ensued. Got a big hit on one side down 250’ already, peeling line like crazy. 10 minutes into the fight the other rod goes off! Massive hit and line screeming out! Now what do I do?! Well basically alternated rods in the rod holders and reeled both fish in going back and forth trying to keep a good bend in both. Just under an hour later landed the first one, had to net, too rough and fish was going insane at the side of the boat to release in water, quick weigh in the net while pulling it in. 22 pounds. Had the camera ready to go, released quick and grabbed the other rod, fish still on!! After some more massive runs finally pulled it in, 23 pounds. Released to swim another day. And yes that net is a rubber catch and release net. I always gaff release fish we're not keeping unless there pretty much trophy fish. Blue meanie hootch and big eye glow green spoon did the job.
Even with the bs that the dfo has done to us and the industry, you can still have a day of a lifetime catching and releasing! Get out there guys! Now I’m exhausted beyond belief and going to bed.
View attachment 46075 View attachment 46076 View attachment 46077 View attachment 46078

Looks and sounds like a heck of a day, awesome looking catch, well done.

View attachment 46075 View attachment 46076 View attachment 46077 View attachment 46078

Great job! I never weight my fish when doing catch and release for fear of hurting the fish but your picture offers what seems to be a safe alternative with minimal handling.

Well done. Great post and thanks for sharing.

Happy Canada Day

14 days before I am on the water every time I can...

Great job! I never weight my fish when doing catch and release for fear of hurting the fish but your picture offers what seems to be a safe alternative with minimal handling.

Well done. Great post and thanks for sharing.

Happy Canada Day

14 days before I am on the water every time I can...
Thanks, Happy canada day! I know alot of people will bring the fish in, measure length and girth to get a somewhat accurate weight. I honestly think just weighing the fish in the net then subtracting the net is quicker and can be done right at the side of the boat. Im sure some people would have an issue with it but cant do anything these days without someone having an problem with it.

Headed out yesterday around 4 pm on a buddies boat to give it a test run after he had some major work done on it. Fished off the Fingers for about an hour. We caught 4 undersized springs and one hatchery coho. All in the 125 to 150 foot range. Bait and spoons were used. Had to cut the trip short due to the boat mysteriously taking on water. Bilge pumps working full time. Looking forward to the next trip.

Son, grandson and I finally got our schedules coordinated and headed out to the Fingers Saturday afternoon to try out new rods/reels. Cooler and bit drizzle with a wind but still fishable. Brought to the boat 7 coho, two of which were keepers and one undersized spring plus several other hits and losses. Mainly between 100' and 140' on Skinny G on one side and bait on other side.

Attachments

• 20190706_154011post.jpg
    20190706_154011post.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 180
Son, grandson and I finally got our schedules coordinated and headed out to the Fingers Saturday afternoon to try out new rods/reels. Cooler and bit drizzle with a wind but still fishable. Brought to the boat 7 coho, two of which were keepers and one undersized spring plus several other hits and losses. Mainly between 100' and 140' on Skinny G on one side and bait on other side.

I only found wild cohos last week. Good for you for being able to get these 2 beauties.
In a week's time, we will be able to retain a spring and most of them are showing good size. It will be fun.

I only found wild cohos last week. Good for you for being able to get these 2 beauties.
In a week's time, we will be able to retain a spring and most of them are showing good size. It will be fun.
Ya some days harder to find the clipped ones, last trip it was 10-1 for non clipped to clipped. Perfect timing for the chinook opening too as the springs have not been showing in decent numbers lately. Last trip was the first all season without getting a bite from a spring. Out everyday this week so hopefully see some more coming through

Went out tonight from 6-8ish with a buddy. Beautiful evening on the water. Not much action for us. Only one spring to the boat on a spoon. Fished off the fingers. Saw quite boats with fish on. Not our night. Wrong colour or depth. But still had a great time.

Ya some days harder to find the clipped ones, last trip it was 10-1 for non clipped to clipped. Perfect timing for the chinook opening too as the springs have not been showing in decent numbers lately. Last trip was the first all season without getting a bite from a spring. Out everyday this week so hopefully see some more coming through

I have slowed down getting out on the water as I found similar odds. At least next week, I will be able to have super instead of releasing these beautiful springs.

Only 4 days to go! Dont think i will have most spots to myself anymore :D Awesome fishing continues out there, lets hope it keeps going. Its picked back up over the last few days. Good number of springs in the teens around plus this 24 lb freight train! Thought we got sealed it screamed so much line. Short but extremely thick. Fish are hitting spoons and hootchies, depths really vary throughout the day. Got this one at 170.
24.jpg

Only 4 days to go! Dont think i will have most spots to myself anymore :D Awesome fishing continues out there, lets hope it keeps going. Its picked back up over the last few days. Good number of springs in the teens around plus this 24 lb freight train! Thought we got sealed it screamed so much line. Short but extremely thick. Fish are hitting spoons and hootchies, depths really vary throughout the day. Got this one at 170.
View attachment 46247
Nice fish!
Thanks Unreel for keeping us entertained and up to date this spring. I am sure many others, just like myself, were following the treads but had not much to add.
In a few days, this should change!
My boat and all my tackles are ready for Monday. The winds should die down by mid-day so it is looking good so far!

Got out this afternoon for a couple of hours of practice - little lumpier than this morning. Finger towards Neck point, went 2/3 on fish in 4-5lb range. One wild coho and 2 springs all released for another day.

Spoons and hootchie at 123 for all 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back