2019 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am told that winter Chinook are deep. Out at Fingers, it could be 1000 feet near Spoil Grounds and to find bottom, it could be 500 feet too.
Can anyone guide me towards the best place to try for my first winter fishing?

And if you don't mind a bit of a drive, launch at Chemainus and fish around Tent Island, its been producing well lately on green gear down at the bottom in 100 ft or so.

And if you don't mind a bit of a drive, launch at Chemainus and fish around Tent Island, its been producing well lately on green gear down at the bottom in 100 ft or so.

I fished Tent Island yesterday. Sunny and calm. I saw one more fishing boat nearby. It made one loop way ahead of me and disappeared. No salmon. Released 2 rock fish. I saw 2 small bait balls at 50 and 75 feet over 250 ft.

I am not sure if I do I trolled at the right spot though. The bottom is at 200 ft or more. The 100 ft mark is against the cliff and it goes from 0 to 200 feet almost vertically.

I trolled around the structures but the downrigger ball would often hit the wall and I was scared to lose some gear.

Any learning tips would be appreciated.

Try tacking from the island toward Crofton in between the two reefs.It's a long tack that will usually take 20-30 mins.Go up the left side in 120-160 ft. of water and keep the gear between 90-120 ft.If you see bait on the bottom drop it lower but I've seemed to have my best luck at those depths.If you don't see any feed on the sounder cruise down the other side with the light on the rock towards the island again in that 100-140/160 range.The fishing is hot and cold there but if you're there at the right time you can get into a few fish.Small anchovies have been good but don't be afraid to throw down a hoochie.I've caught a few there on a glow white one when nothing else has worked.

index.php

IMPORTANT MEETING FOR ALL AREA 17 ANGLERS

We urge everyone to attend this meeting if you are concerned with your recreational fishery this year.

Some topics included:

1. Possible prawn daily harvest limits reduced by 50%, or other restrictions this season.

2. Chinook Salmon Fishing Reductions or Closures within the Georgia Straight fishery, and other areas.

3. New Halibut regulations for 2019.

Please also like and follow our FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/NanaimoSFAC/

Meeting will be held March 5th at the Nanaimo Fish and Game Association from 7pm -9pm

Address: 1325 Nanaimo Lakes Rd, Nanaimo, BC V9X 1X8

I am told that winter Chinook are deep. Out at Fingers, it could be 1000 feet near Spoil Grounds and to find bottom, it could be 500 feet too.
Can anyone guide me towards the best place to try for my first winter fishing?
I would try off neck point fishing 10 feet off the bottom

Reactions: RBL
Do you guys find any fish at thrasher in March? Or is April when they start cruisin’ through?

Gotta love this forum. Ask a question and you get a quality answer in 5 minutes. Hope to see you out there, Jim!
u betcha forsure I don't mind sharing info at all I have a page called Vancouver salmon fishing if u want to check it out sometime on facebook

Do you guys find any fish at thrasher in March? Or is April when they start cruisin’ through?
You can get fish in March. It’s not as great as April/May but there’s fish around. Porlier pass and Tent island are other good spots that are close by. I think I you were going to make the trip you would be better off going at the end of April though.

April 26th I caught 4 fish at thrasher in 20 mins all legal size. 160-180 feet deep on the rigger-15 pound ball in 300-500 feet of water.

So I’m looking to head out prawning off croften/tent island, and I can’t find any info about if there’s pulse fishing in the area this time of year. It looks to me like it’s just open, but it can be challenging for me to navigate the dfo site at times. Any info would be appreciated

Took the family out today. Dropped some prawn traps and then headed out to the spoil grounds to check things out. Had a big hit within minutes that didn’t stick so sent the gear back down and landed this nice 65cm about 5 min later. Gear back down and bang bang double header of tiny coho. Gear back in the water and a couple more under sized chinook to the boat and then the light switch shut off and that was it.

Awesome day out on the water. Looking forward to things heating up out there!
276E35EC-296A-4499-8970-91BFC5D1A5D3.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back