2019 Haida Gwaii Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that! In between my posting above and your reply, Bret replied to an email that I had sent to him and we have confirmed a day on the water. Looking very forward to it. Thanks again!

You will be happy with him. He dosent mind burning fuel to find his guest the fish. He was one of the few charters who was putting the miles on so he could get his guest on the fish. I spoke to a couple who fished with him last week & it sounds like they did well.

Gents, just rolled back home on Saturday afternoon. Back at work today. I will give more detailed reports of what worked & what was hot later today or tomorrow morning. I just wanted to get some basic stuff out for the guys/gals who are leaving soon.

A quick summary of fishing.

Masset: Fishing was decent. Not as hot as last year at this time. I only spent 4 days out of 2 weeks fishing Masset.

- Lots of bait around. More than I have seen in a couple of years. Seeing a ton of Sandlance
- Lots of Coho around & some of size. Biggest for us was around 15lbs.
- If conditions allow make the drive out to the "Pork Chop" or also called "Whales Tail". Its silly how many coho are in. Your sonar will show the large wolf packs feeding there.
- Easy to pick up Coho offshore in the tide lines. I found more around 45' which I found odd. However it was bright & sunny out so maybe thats why they were deeper.
- Best day was 15 salmon in 5hrs. 6 were chinooks.
- Biggest chinook was 27lbs & was caught offshore in 200' of water while trolling bait at 80'. No flasher
- Good fishing inshore for Chinook. Edenshaw was the place to be last week & was giving the best inshore fishing. There is a couple of sealions living out at 7 mile (red ca) that are making fishing frustrating. I gave up there after an evening of being followed by a sealion the whole time.
- I caught a fair number of Chinook offshore.
- Started to see some pink salmon last week.
- No chum salmon caught this trip. Which is a first for this time of year.
- Halibut fishing was silly. A ton of small chickens around & you have to sort through them to get to some quality fish. As usual I find more quality Halibut in shallower. Trolling salmon gear at bottom in 70-80' was the ticket for the perfect unders or smaller overs. Still lots of bigger fish to be found in 50-60' of water soaking bait or trolling.

Westside (Skidegate Narrows):

- A ton of bait around. I found medium herring & sandlance in most belly's
- Still lots of salmon around & some decent size fish if you put the time in.
- Found it to be slower than typical this time of year, but that can change at any time.
- It could have just been timing, but I caught a lot of small chinooks this trip along "the wall". That can be seen as a good thing because they will be next years fish. I kept one of the smaller fish because it was bleeding & it was not mature for breeding when I cleaned it.
- More Coho on the north end of the island.
- Did best with Bait. Anchovies or smaller herring in Army Truck teaser head.
- Some great Halibut fishing. All nice sized overs.
- Lingcod fishing was good. Most nearby pinnacles are getting picked over. Found nice quality fish in the rocky areas & deeper pinnacles where most charter boats dont fish.
- Some big squid around again this year. I had a couple lingcod puke up in the boat & the squid were fresh & big. They were as round as a beer can & 15" long. Not sure what type of squid they were?
I'm going to be heading up there in August and was wondering how big the Sandlance were that you finding in most bellies?

I'm going to be heading up there in August and was wondering how big the Sandlance were that you finding in most bellies?

The north end was 4-5". On the westside it was 4-5" but also some bigger 6-7" mixed

Reactions: Bjw
You will be happy with him. He dosent mind burning fuel to find his guest the fish. He was one of the few charters who was putting the miles on so he could get his guest on the fish. I spoke to a couple who fished with him last week & it sounds like they did well.
Well put on all counts. The much better half and I were out with Bret Johnston of Masset Fishing Adventures on Monday this week and we had a great day. We caught and retained a few fish (largest was 27lbs) and released a few fish but more meaningfully had a chance to spend the day fishing with, and learning about Masset from, a great guy who is very involved in his community ... it was a perfect way to spend one of our three days in Masset and I would highly recommend Bret to anyone who asked.

We flew to/from Masset on the Langara charter plane and had the opportunity to hear on our flight back some of the fishing reports out of Langara for their most recent trip ... sounds like the combination of no wind and stellar fishing made for epic fishing trips ... hard to believe the number of boxes of fish that came off of the plane.

Last edited:
Anyone know if there’s any cell reception up around rivers inlet? Gonna be mooring near duncanby and fishing crows nest...

Nothing better than fishing with family. No better feeling as a dad than watching your kids fall in love with fishing the same way I did when I was a kid. I was blessed again to have the opportunity to bring my wife & kids up for almost 2 weeks. When I am up with family, I have a personal struggle to not just fish all the time every waking moment. While my wife & daughter like fishing they are not into early mornings & long days everyday. That said I always try to take at least 40% of the time enjoying the island & doing other things my wife like to do such as hiking & looking for Agate rocks at low tide….. Don’t get me wrong she likes fishing, in fact she loves salmon fishing. However I think the adventure is what she loves the most about it. As luck always has it these days are almost always the prime ideal time for fishing.

This trip was my wife & 2 kids. Also had my wife’s Auntie & uncle plus her cousin & husband. They are amazing people who I am proud to have as family. They cousin & husband just had a baby 10 weeks ago & the only way to take them fishing was when her mom & dad could watch the baby. This meant I could only take out a pair of people at a time from the extended family. This was ok because it meant there was room for my wife & kids. However it also meant that I would need to do 2x the trips. I felt lots of pressure to get them on the fish after years of nagging them to make the trip. I also knew I had to try to not make it every day on the water to get the fish needed, however I would do the time required to get the job done. I was not going to leave the impression with her family that I cant catch fish…

My 3 trips previously this season was some of the windiest roughest trips I have had to deal with. I knew the Auntie & Uncle would not do well with it. This trip the fish gods were on my side and we couldn't ask for better conditions. Out of the 10 days we had 8 of the days were flat calm & 7 days were sunny.

I wanted to bring them to both to the westside of the island through the skidegate narrows. Besides being an amazing trip & beautiful place to see its also the only chance I would have to target nice Lingcod & drop the prawn traps. I knew that fishing locally out of Masset I could get the Salmon & Halibut. However if Salmon fishing was slow I could always do an additional trip to the westside to get the job done.

Days we fish on the westside are long days. Especially for me. You can not chose the time that is the most convenient for you travel the narrows. Instead you need to plan it around the tide. Its ~ 1.25hr drive from Masset where we were staying to the launch. Once the boat is in the water it’s a ~38km ride through the narrowns over to the westside. Along the way I always drop prawn & crab traps. On the way back home we pull & re bait traps if I am going to be out the next day. This adds an additional hr at least each way.

Day 1: This was my wedding anniversary and I knew I had to stay on land and spend the day with my wife. I had many fishing days ahead and wanted to show her I can do more than fish in Haida Gwaii. As luck would have it it was also a beautiful day with perfect conditions... The night before I asked if anyone wanted to sneak out for a quick early morning trip to pick up some chicken halibut for the table. I wanted to be back at the house by 10:00am because I figured that would be the time she would be getting up and having some coffee. My son, uncle & cousin jumped on the chance.

We left the house at 4am and launched locally out of Masset. It was flat calm and I put the hammer down WOT for the 8km ride to my chicken hole.

We dropped bait and almost immediately 3 halibut were hooked up at the same time. 10 min later we had 3 unders bleeding out in the floor box. Even I was surprised how fast that happened.... I decided we should spend some time trying for Coho while we were off shore. I got the gear rigged up and started my tach to a favorite spot to pick up Coho. It was an absolutely beautiful morning & I was feeling good. About 30 min into fishing I was telling the them how fishing for Coho offshore in this location can be hit/miss & that I haven’t tried it yet this year. As I was yapping, I could see big black fins coming out of the water just ahead of me. Instantly I know why the salmon fishing was dead. We had a huge POD of orcas swimming towards the boat. I immediately killed the sonar & engine then pulled my gear. The Pod of orcas continued to head our way. With in a few min we had a family of ~ 8 swimming beside the boat checking us out. They had 2 babys that were eager to see us & were putting on a show trying to get a better look at us. Everyone in the boat was in awe over what was happening. In the years I have fished Hiada I have never had a close encounter like this before. As the group swam past us I decided it was about time to start heading back. I explained that there was no point in trying to salmon fish any where near the orcas were & that it would be dead for a while now.

As we were heading in to the Masset inlet we seen a large group of Eagles diving & water boiling below them. I raced over & seen an amazing site. Fish had pushed up a giant ball of needle fish & the eagles were swooping down & grab fist full of them. You could see them dropping as many as they were able to hang onto. There must have been 30 of them taking turns hammering the bait. The black bass and salmon were boiling on the bait & it was nothing that I had ever seen before. With the motors off we drifted right into the middle of the action & was surrounded by eagles feeding. This time of year, you are not allowed to fish salmon in Masset Inlet so casting to the salmon was not an option.

After 15 min the feeding was over & it ended as quickly as it started. Everyone in my boat was amazed with what they had seen in the first few hrs of fishing Haida Gwaii. I was acting all cool about it, but inside so was I.

We loaded the boat & headed for home. Timing was perfect & my wife was just getting up. I filleted the halibut & dropped them off at my Aunties house. She is an amazing cook & was excited to see what she was going to make over the next few days with it.

After a quick Breakfast we all headed to North beach. The plan was for me to show them how to net crabs in the dropping tide & then I would go on a hike with my wife. I left them to it & went for a walk with my wife down the beach.

That night we had a feed of fresh Halibut & crabs while I discussed plans for the following day. The plan was to take out the cousin & her husband to the westside for some Lingcod & rockfish. The forecast was beyond perfect. I told them to be ready to roll for 6am. That night I made sure boat & gear was ready. That night in bed I played out the spots we would go to & the drift with the ebb tide.

To be continued....

At 6am I was in the truck & ready to go. I had my son with me as he refuses to miss a single trip, regardless of how early it is. This always makes my happy as he is my favorite fishing partner & has waited all year to get out with his dad. We had a big day ahead of us & I had big plans. We headed from Masset to the Skidigate boat launch. Along the way I was playing out in my head where we would go first. The classic struggle of “tried & true”, or a new location that had potential & could be a gold mine. As we got closer, I decided to not do any prospecting on the trip & to fish locations I knew had fish. I needed to get limits accomplished that day & needed to go the safest route. To date I hadn’t kept any fish for myself this season. That meant that I also had to get myself my limits on bottom fish during the limited trips I had left to go to the westside.

On the way out to the westside we dropped the crab traps & set the prawn traps. This adds at least an hour to the trip but is worth it. The 2 new people I had with me had never fished the westcoast before & it was all part of the experience. Once the traps were set it was WOT all the way to the first spot, I planned to drop jigs. As we exited the narrows, we blew past the fleet of charter boats grinding the wall for salmon. It was flat calm & I was able to keep it WOT the entire way. As we were driving, they shouted “Look at the Whales”! I replied, “Yup we will see lots of them” & kept the boat WOT. I thought to myself “only whale watching today will be at 45 MPH.”…. We had fishing to do.

The tide timing was perfect. I still had an hour or so of flood tide & would be able to fish both sides of the pinnacles after the tide changed. I stopped at a set of pinnacles just north of Marble island. I rigged both rods up with large 16” swimbaits & explained how we were going to be drifting downhill. Both my wifes cousin & her husband are physically fit & very competitive so I knew they would be fun & I planned on pushing them. First drift was a bit rough & I was calling out the depth & getting them to drop the jigs as needed. After the first pass they knew what they needed to do the next time. Second drift went as planned & both hooked up at the very top of the pinnacle before they even hit bottom. I always find there is at least one big dominant Ling that is on top & first one down gets it. I try to fish smaller deep pinnacles that the charter boats don’t touch. We had one 15lb Ling & one smaller ~ 8lb Ling. Both were bleed & into the box.

Next drift was on the same pinnacle, but I moved 25” over. This drift didn’t have the top of the pinnacle & was a steep drop over a shorter distance. I used the kicker to slow the drift down to ~ 1 MPH. I was telling them when to drop the jig deeper & yelling at them to “work that dam jig & make it dance”. My son was fishing out of the rear port side & he was struggling a bit to keep up with dropping his jig down as we were drifting. He is only 7yrs old but insist on doing it by himself now. This season he surprised me just how independent he his & also just how capable he is. Half way through the 5 min drift both my wifes cousin & husband hooked up. I grabbed the gaff & was busy getting fish into the boat. One caught a huge vermilion rockfish & the other a nice 14lb Ling. As I was getting the last fish over the rail my son yells “ Dad I have a jumbo over here”. I look over & he is giving everything he has to hang on. He is using a light action Shimano Trevella paired with a Penn Clash spinning reel. It’s a light action combo that is great to jig with & easy to use.

It is spooled with 30lb braid & I make sure to leave the drag light enough that it won’t pull him over.

We all watched him play the fish & bring it up from 180’. It was a perfect 90 cm Halibut. I was so proud of him & couldn’t believe he did it all by himself! Of course, he was on cloud 9 & made sure to let me know he was right about the hook he picked. Before we moved the boat I looked closer at the charts & then back at my sonar & seen that there was a tiny shelf ½ way down where Hunter had caught that halibut. I decided to give it another try & see if anymore Halibut were home.

Just as we got to the shelf & increased back troll & tried to hold it as long as I could. It was not more than25’ wide & we only had a couple minutes at best to fish it. We ended up hooking into a 20lb Lingcod & a Big yellow eye. After descending the Yelloweye I adjust my drift to fish just the corner of the structure I was trying to get a second Halibut on. As luck would have it My wifes cousin’s rod folded right over & she immediately started to try to reel it in. I yelled at her to set the hook hard & burry it deep, but as soon as the words left my mouth the fish was off & it was over.

She looked devastated… It was a big fish…. I explained to both of them that know matter how hard the hit, you have to set the hook as hard as possible & insure it buried. I explained that Lings will grab a bait by the side & hang onto it with out ever getting the hooked. Once you start fighting back it will open its mouth & just let go. But if you hammer it with a solid hook set you will pull the lure through its teeth & burry the hook while the mouth is still closed. We set up the same drift 2 more times & nothing came back to get the bait this time..

By now the tide had changed & I needed to change my plan of attack. The ebb tide makes most of my favourite spots un fishable because of the drift direction. We packed up & made a small 3 km rip over to a different set of pinnacles that would favour the drift direction. This pinnacle top was only ~35’ deep at the top & had a large kelp bed. The Base of the pinnacle went down to ~200’. As I approached the top of the pinnacle where I planned on starting the drop, it was alive with massive schools of black bass. They were rolling at surface & in an intense feeding frenzy. These are my preferred target species for those who want to keep Rockfish, so we switched up to smaller jigs & quickly got them their limits of rockfish. Man it is fun to catch them on light gear…

Over then next few hours we caught over 20 Lingcod & only kept the 10-15lbers. Once we had the 8th Lingcod in the box it was time to call it quits. We still had about 1 hr before we would have enough water to travel back across the narrows so I rigged up the salmon gear & we made a few passes around the pinnacles we had been fishing earlier. With in 15 min we had the first chinook on the line. After a short battle we had the 12lb fish beside the boat. I asked them if they wanted it. I told them to never let a fish go on the first day they would be happy with on the last day. With no additional convincing they said yes to boxing the first salmon. I was glad to keep the smaller feeder fish. I try to make ½ my chinook limits “smaller” feeders when we have plenty of Coho around to make up for it. Also I had lots of fish to catch in a small amount of time.

I packed up gear & we headed for our traps that had been soaking all day. First stop was the prawn traps. I rigged up the Ace Brutus Line Hauler & started to pull it up from the depths. It seemed heavy & the the hauler was working. With about 100’ to go it came to a stop & it appeared I blew a fuse. I put the boat in gear so we could keep as many bugs in the trap & went to go change the fuse. Once I was at the fuse it was clear that this was more of a problem then just a fuse. The fuse holder had melted & was FUBAR…. I managed to get the fuse out & it hadn’t blown. It was a dud & now I had now power to my port side downrigger plug.

I switched sides with the line puller & surfaced the prawn traps. They were piled up with Kelp which was the cause for the extra weight. Inside the traps I had some of the biggest prawns I had caught to date! However, I also had a number of Red Rock Crabs that had made it in & were chowing down on the prawns. They had dozens of partial eaten prawns inside……. Regardless we managed to get ~ 150 tails of quality prawns. I baited them back up & moved over a bit in an attempt to stay clear of the crabs.

We had 3 crab traps that had been soaking & I knew they would be packed. We could keep 24 crabs in total & was confident we would be able to be picky on which ones we kept. First pot had 17 Jumbos. Im talking about “Kim Kardashian” thighs on them. Not a single under size or female. Next pot was the same. We took what we needed and dumbed the rest. Everyone was amazed at the amount of crabs. (I have a sweet Honey Hole).

Once we finally got back to the boat launch, I dressed the fish we had for the processors. It took a good hour to clean the fish & pack them into coolers loaded with fresh ice. Once I was done, we loaded up & started the hour drive back to Masset.

I still had 2 dozen crabs that needed processed & it was 12am before I got to call it a day. I celebrated the day with a stiff rum & as much crab as I could eat. I was alone outside beside the crab pot & proud of the day we had. Although the days are long & I am exhausted I could not be happier. There is no were else I would rather be. My son was still sleeping in the truck where he was when we arrived home. I brought him in the house & put him to bed. The next day was going to be a busy day & I needed to get some rest.

Any recent updates from Northern HG/ Langara? - Heading up to the top on Saturday, boats look like they're fishing the offshore commercial lanes typical for this time of year - Not heard of much lately, would appreciate it if anyone's been up

I am up tomorrow aswell . This time of year there is a large body of fish , coho and feeder 12 - 18 lb springs offshore with the odd migratory mixed in. I have never found tide to matter much in that offshore fishery . There is still some very very nice fish rolling through this time of year on the inshore points, fish your slacks inshore , inbtween tides offshore. 2014 I had 4 tyee at green point labour day weekend.

Will be interesting to see what it’s like for you guys Isn’t the area f trollers up their fishing right now??

^ Yup, Trollers are around right now! This time of year no doubt.

I love looking at the AIS before I go... (Sign in as guest) http://vtslite.siitech.com/VTSLite/AView.aspx everyone is spread around which tells me a lot as well. They are around, but finding the bait suspended will be key. Good time of year with the cohos of course as well. I consider myself very lucky!!! Been too long since I have last fished.

Good advice Adanac, I appreciate that. In the past I have had success with the same strategy. We've self guided up there for years and I love fishing it. Had my big release moment I will likely never top, so I just enjoy it now and take as little as I need. Riding the top of the flood down the top of the island down the east side, etc. Magical! I still love fishing in tight to the kelp, but the Pinnepeds are just brutal in close now. I'd rather not feed them.
Will report when I can!

Fished 4 days with Bret; Sun - Wed. Slow beyond description. Fish processor reports Masset area lodges bringing Lings only. Foul hooked 18# chinook; fought like a 40# so made the trip for me - caught 3 nice Hali on the troll to limit-out my fishing partners & myself. Coho Killers & Anchovy is what we used.

Fished 4 days with Bret; Sun - Wed. Slow beyond description. Fish processor reports Masset area lodges bringing Lings only. Foul hooked 18# chinook; fought like a 40# so made the trip for me - caught 3 nice Hali on the troll to limit-out my fishing partners & myself. Coho Killers & Anchovy is what we used.

Not surprised were the trollers out?

Slowest fishing I've ever experienced up there. It made me very sad... I never, never did expect it could become like that. Fishing up in Northern HG used to be just stupid, like, hardly get your bait in the water, stupid at times. Or fish biting a cut plug hanging over the gunnel. Polar opposite this trip. Been lucky enough to have been up there a few times. June, July, September etc. September, we have seen lots of Tyees taken even. Great time to fish there. Great weather in September, my favorite place in the world, even more gorgeous in the sun! However, this trip I even witnessed one of the best fishermen I know, not even get a salmon bite all day in 12 hours. Not a bite!!! (As for myself and my dad, we fish very hard and had to try our best and think our best fish tactics and locations to get them, we did but it was so difficult and frustrating when you lose your possible only chance at a fish all day! Unexpected really. We had a fish our first drop in at the rocks, for example, thought it was going to be a great trip - par for the course. Made a clean release. Not the case because it was just dead and we happened to drop in on a bite.

The weather was the calmest I have ever seen, never gets like that. Multiple days fishing Northwest side. Crazy amounts of Bait, humpbacks absolutely everywhere. Few salmon on sounder, sparse, here and there. Fish board when I landed was skinny, and also when I left :confused: I just keep bleeders, etc now. But I barely had any time playing them this trip on the rod and reel. Few fights I did get were wild. My Dad caught a nice northern coho. Usually we get about 2 dozen of those to the boat, at least. ONE. I never caught a coho. Had about 5 fish I played perfectly spit the hook, took home 3 small to teen sized chinook. And my Uncle caught a 24lb the last day, after 2 full days of nothing. Seems like the number of the Pinnepeds up there as well are multiplying. So many sea lions everywhere. Used to be a joy to fish the kelp. And now it's very hard, because I refuse to feed a Sea Lion. They take limits of salmon now, because they are just waiting for boats to fish a hot spot, and hook a salmon. It's definitely challenging at times if you wish to fish near them or when they show up.

Orca show way out offshore was amazing to watch from far. The family 'playing' or teaching the little ones how to roll, jump, and tail slap. Stunning! Northern Residents came in on the first day, with tactical precision (that didn't help fishing, either!), but fishing was scratchy already prior to that. We had to fish hard, found them and got our limit of chinooks one day. But it's a short trip! I had a Russian submarine of a halibut absolutely peel line off my Penn squall... Broke a 150 lb swivel above the hook! Insane.... Never hooked into one of those bad boys before! Again, so much bait, but few fish. Trollers were around, near shore, offshore. Then they completely seemed to leave! Never have seen so many whales. I feel sad as if the fishing is really declining, it's quite concerning. I have long time fishers with me, frustrated not getting fish, I tell them I am sad as in my almost 3 decades on this earth I am already witnessing this sad decline, tough for me to settle with that feeling. I didn't really fish much at all like I used to, for 1.5-2 yr before this trip because of that realization. I feel it's becoming reality but I don't know how, or what we can do :(

Whatever, next year could be way better around this time - We just don't know for sure yet! I do like how they get DNA off all the fish for study, lobbying, etc. We are getting more data than ever before and I sincerely hopes it helps us progress and educate those that aren't involved as much and bring more awareness!

Pics! Yes I released that Lingcod. No need to keep any large stock, breeding females or Wormy huge fish (for me). The big ones look so awesome with their lambent yellow eyes in that clear water very cool :D

Sorry whales are hard to photograph on a rocking boat zooming in on the camera while legal distance away! Cheers. FZ

20190831_165737.jpg 20190901_113328.jpg 20190902_084023.jpg

Attachments

• 20190902_144653.jpg
    20190902_144653.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190902_174141.jpg
    20190902_174141.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190902_174420.jpg
    20190902_174420.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 43
Slowest fishing I've ever experienced up there. It made me very sad... I never, never did expect it could become like that. Fishing up in Northern HG used to be just stupid, like, hardly get your bait in the water, stupid at times. Or fish biting a cut plug hanging over the gunnel. Polar opposite this trip. Been lucky enough to have been up there a few times. June, July, September etc. September, we have seen lots of Tyees taken even. Great time to fish there. Great weather in September, my favorite place in the world, even more gorgeous in the sun! However, this trip I even witnessed one of the best fishermen I know, not even get a salmon bite all day in 12 hours. Not a bite!!! (As for myself and my dad, we fish very hard and had to try our best and think our best fish tactics and locations to get them, we did but it was so difficult and frustrating when you lose your possible only chance at a fish all day! Unexpected really. We had a fish our first drop in at the rocks, for example, thought it was going to be a great trip - par for the course. Made a clean release. Not the case because it was just dead and we happened to drop in on a bite.

The weather was the calmest I have ever seen, never gets like that. Multiple days fishing Northwest side. Crazy amounts of Bait, humpbacks absolutely everywhere. Few salmon on sounder, sparse, here and there. Fish board when I landed was skinny, and also when I left :confused: I just keep bleeders, etc now. But I barely had any time playing them this trip on the rod and reel. Few fights I did get were wild. My Dad caught a nice northern coho. Usually we get about 2 dozen of those to the boat, at least. ONE. I never caught a coho. Had about 5 fish I played perfectly spit the hook, took home 3 small to teen sized chinook. And my Uncle caught a 24lb the last day, after 2 full days of nothing. Seems like the number of the Pinnepeds up there as well are multiplying. So many sea lions everywhere. Used to be a joy to fish the kelp. And now it's very hard, because I refuse to feed a Sea Lion. They take limits of salmon now, because they are just waiting for boats to fish a hot spot, and hook a salmon. It's definitely challenging at times if you wish to fish near them or when they show up.

Orca show way out offshore was amazing to watch from far. The family 'playing' or teaching the little ones how to roll, jump, and tail slap. Stunning! Northern Residents came in on the first day, with tactical precision (that didn't help fishing, either!), but fishing was scratchy already prior to that. We had to fish hard, found them and got our limit of chinooks one day. But it's a short trip! I had a Russian submarine of a halibut absolutely peel line off my Penn squall... Broke a 150 lb swivel above the hook! Insane.... Never hooked into one of those bad boys before! Again, so much bait, but few fish. Trollers were around, near shore, offshore. Then they completely seemed to leave! Never have seen so many whales. I feel sad as if the fishing is really declining, it's quite concerning. I have long time fishers with me, frustrated not getting fish, I tell them I am sad as in my almost 3 decades on this earth I am already witnessing this sad decline, tough for me to settle with that feeling. I didn't really fish much at all like I used to, for 1.5-2 yr before this trip because of that realization. I feel it's becoming reality but I don't know how, or what we can do :(

Whatever, next year could be way better around this time - We just don't know for sure yet! I do like how they get DNA off all the fish for study, lobbying, etc. We are getting more data than ever before and I sincerely hopes it helps us progress and educate those that aren't involved as much and bring more awareness!

Pics! Yes I released that Lingcod. No need to keep any large stock, breeding females or Wormy huge fish (for me). The big ones look so awesome with their lambent yellow eyes in that clear water very cool :D

Sorry whales are hard to photograph on a rocking boat zooming in on the camera while legal distance away! Cheers. FZ

It goes in cycles. At least that is my hope.

Straight of Georgia has best fishing in years (decades?). Skeena / Nass runs have had a tough few years.

I’ve had better fishing on the ECVI / Vancouver / Gulf Islands, etc. than my last two trips to up the Gwaii. Maybe more 10-15 lb fish down this way and fewer Tyees. But numbers-wise, no need to travel far if that’s what you are looking for.

For me, it is worth the trip up for the experience, scenery, etc. and I will continue to go up there. You just have to temper expectations. Some trips the fish are there...others, they aren’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back