2019 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted this in Vic section but may help here too.

Attachments

• 05E3F56A-3766-4879-90ED-BC5B76334543.png
    05E3F56A-3766-4879-90ED-BC5B76334543.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 152
Excellent question, with the new map of closures it looks like the fishing areas in area 18 has been taken away such as Fairfax Point. The Salamanca area which includes the power cable area is in 29 4 and 29 5 . Don’t know if it’s open either.

Anyone???

Here's the fishery notice covering area 29:

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=223933&ID=all

Strait of Georgia - South and Juan de Fuca - Portions of Areas 18, 19, Subareas
20-5, 29-3 to 29-5 and 29-8:

- 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 29, 2019, 1 Chinook per day;
- 00:01 hours August 30 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2019, 2 Chinook per day.
- As per Fishery Notices 0507 and 0735, management measures for Southern
Resident Killer Whales are in place in portions of Areas 18, 20, and 121. These
measures include no salmon fishing in Subareas 20-3, 20-4, 18-9, and portions
of Subareas 18-2, 18-4, and 18-5 and sanctuary closures (vessel prohibition
zones) in portions of Subareas 18-4, 121-1, 121-2. Please refer to FN0507 and
FN0735 for full details.

The other 2 referenced notices are:

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=223889&ID=all
https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=221840&ID=all

And they appear to say anything relevant to fishing active & north of there in 29-4 & 5. So from what I can tell those areas are open for retention of 1 chinook til Aug 31 and 2 chinook after.

Crazy how difficult it is to figure out what's open and what's not.

Thanks for your update. Looks open to me.

Anyone know of any fishing holes that are open in area 18 that produces???

Cheers

Fished the tip to the east of Fairfax today and not a bite. Hit both sides of the low tide lots of boats there didn’t see any of them get anything either.
Lots of fish on the sounder and sea action everywhere.

Hitting the outside of Galliano tomorrow.

Anyone else have a report????

Cheers

East side of Fairfax never as good as the west but I've caught a fair few fish there...so worth a try. Flood tide.

Thanks for your response.... tough out there with these regs in the SGI’s .

The west side of the point looks closed for retention so didn’t fish there.

Might try Salamanca off Galiano tomorrow.

Let me know what you think ,,,, will report tomorrow..

Cheers

Bit of a late report but was around for the extended long weekend and hit Salamanca & Active pass pretty good. Nothing but a couple unders and a ton of 12-16" babies. Came back and hit the chuck this past Sat/Sun and both days we nailed 2 springs before 8am each day. all 13-17#. So I'd make the trip across to Sand Heads.

Bit of a late report but was around for the extended long weekend and hit Salamanca & Active pass pretty good. Nothing but a couple unders and a ton of 12-16" babies. Came back and hit the chuck this past Sat/Sun and both days we nailed 2 springs before 8am each day. all 13-17#. So I'd make the trip across to Sand Heads.

I had a similar experience on the Monday of the long weekend at Active Pass. Been fishing the Sandheads a couple times since with great success. Probably the best fishing I have seen on this side of Vancouver Island.

2 hours at Salamanca this evening. 3 shakers and one lost but didn’t feel too promising anyway. Hootchies both sides. 120 and 50 ft. Both picked up fish

2 hours at Salamanca this evening. 3 shakers and one lost but didn’t feel too promising anyway. Hootchies both sides. 120 and 50 ft. Both picked up fish
Man I bet you guys could cross half way and get into that Fraser stack.

Fished a smaller area than usual due to closures near collinson point in grandpas old tinny with deep sixes and my young son. Spent an hour before and after the slack, as has been ok now and then over the last 40 years. Anchovie nada, one missed bite and then lost some kind of salmon that was briefly on the hootchie.
Oh well, we had fun.

Fished porlier pass yesterday morning 630am till about 11 , lost a big one , released around 10 or so springs including a keeper. Lots of pinks
What where you using? Fished polier Wednesday night 3-4hrs only had 1 hit that didn’t stick. Few different spoons and spatterback hoochies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back