2019 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grande is an old motel off the back or north entrance into Silva bay
Hell is that where the name came from? I was told it was because the "grande" bluffs were well... grande.

Hey I’m new to this area and was wondering if anyone can tell me the common salmon fishing spots at oud Saltspring, Pender island and Saturna ?

Thanks
This post didn’t get any reply. I’d like to ask a similar question. Im on pender island for much of the next 6 weeks. Can anyone recommend a spot to troll on the inside? Obviously the bluffs are closed. What about collinson or enterprise reef? Any tips? Thanks..

This post didn’t get any reply. I’d like to ask a similar question. Im on pender island for much of the next 6 weeks. Can anyone recommend a spot to troll on the inside? Obviously the bluffs are closed. What about collinson or enterprise reef? Any tips? Thanks..

My tip would be to fish your brains out Tomorrow, Tuesday and Wednesday. August 1st it gets much worse. Not just the bluffs will be closed.

My tip would be to fish your brains out Tomorrow, Tuesday and Wednesday. August 1st it gets much worse. Not just the bluffs will be closed.
Is there plans to close the gulf islands? Where is this information from?

By the way.... on the site for area 18 it says no Chinook retention until July 31st. (note the period there). It does not say August 1st or July 31st inclusive. So.... the way I read that is the restriction ends midnight July 30th and on the 31st you can retain a Chinook.... so you could fish outside the closure area along the bluffs and keep a Chinook if you were lucky enough to catch one (on the 31st before the new closure on August 1st). I emailed them and asked. The reply was “No” you can’t keep one. I suppose I should be happy that they actually replied before the 31st? I don’t suppose I’m alone when I say the site sucks and it would be nice if things were laid out in a more intuitive format and they actually say what they mean. Eg. July 31st inclusive.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/srkw-ers/index-eng.html

I got the email a few days ago, but haven’t digested the whole thing yet. The above link should get you started figuring out where you may be able to fish.

I have seen this and the way I read it is aug 1 retention of springs will open? I guess we will wait and see. However there are a ton of pinks around and there is nothing actually stopping us from fishing, minus the two no traffic sanctuaries.

I think you can read it either way... just seems if they added the word inclusive, it wouldn’t be subject to interpretation. The area shown in the link which goes from the bluffs to Moresby to Saltspring to Collision Point etc will be closed to all salmon fishing, not just Chinook, starting August 1st.
I tried trolling along the outside of the closed area along the bluffs this morning. Nothing. On a side note, absolutely every boat that was transiting along the Bluffs passed me well on the inside in the “closed to boating area”.

Gulf Island (Pender Islands):
Subarea 18-9 and portions of Subareas 18-2 and 18-4 are no fishing for salmon
including Recreational and Commercial Fisheries effective August 1 until
October 31, 2019. Full coordinates can be found below.

Subarea 18-9 and those portions of Subareas 18-2 and 18-4 inside a line drawn
from a point located along Wallace Point on North Pender Island at 48°44.173’
north latitude and 123°13.956’ west longitude southwesterly across Swanson
Channel to a point located on the shoreline of Moresby Island at 48°43.765’
north latitude and 123°18.476’ west longitude, then northwesterly along the
shoreline to Parkin Point located at 48°43.885’ north latitude and 123°18.666’
west longitude, then northwesterly to northeastern extremity of Beaver point on
Saltspring Island at 48°46.518’ north latitude and 123°21.997’ west longitude,
then northerly to a point in water located at 48°46.838’ north latitude and 123°
21.979’ west longitude, then northeasterly to a point along the eastern
shoreline of Prevost Island at 48°49.258’ north latitude and 123°21.265’ west
longitude, then northerly and westerly along the shoreline to 48°49.475’ north
latitude and 123°21.319’ west longitude, then northerly and westerly along the
shoreline around Portlock Point to 48°49.944’ north latitude and 123°21.468’
west longitude, then northerly across Trincomali Channel to a point west of
Collinson Point on Galiano Island at 48°51.580’ north latitude and 123°21.376’
west longitude, then easterly along the shoreline to 48°51.583’ north latitude
and 123°21.128’ west longitude, then across Active Pass to Helen Point on Mayne
Island at 48°51.449’ north latitude and 123°20.719’ west longitude, then
southerly along the shoreline to the western extremity of Dinner Point at 48°
49.983’ north latitude and 123°19.663’ west longitude, then southerly, across
to Stanley Point on North Pender Island located at 48°49.199’ north latitude
and 123°19.544’ west longitude, and then southerly and easterly along the
shoreline of North Pender Island back to the point of commencement.

I think you can read it either way... just seems if they added the word inclusive, it wouldn’t be subject to interpretation. The area shown in the link which goes from the bluffs to Moresby to Saltspring to Collision Point etc will be closed to all salmon fishing, not just Chinook, starting August 1st.
I tried trolling along the outside of the closed area along the bluffs this morning. Nothing. On a side note, absolutely every boat that was transiting along the Bluffs passed me well on the inside in the “closed to boating area”.

Gulf Island (Pender Islands):
Subarea 18-9 and portions of Subareas 18-2 and 18-4 are no fishing for salmon
including Recreational and Commercial Fisheries effective August 1 until
October 31, 2019. Full coordinates can be found below.

Subarea 18-9 and those portions of Subareas 18-2 and 18-4 inside a line drawn
from a point located along Wallace Point on North Pender Island at 48°44.173’
north latitude and 123°13.956’ west longitude southwesterly across Swanson
Channel to a point located on the shoreline of Moresby Island at 48°43.765’
north latitude and 123°18.476’ west longitude, then northwesterly along the
shoreline to Parkin Point located at 48°43.885’ north latitude and 123°18.666’
west longitude, then northwesterly to northeastern extremity of Beaver point on
Saltspring Island at 48°46.518’ north latitude and 123°21.997’ west longitude,
then northerly to a point in water located at 48°46.838’ north latitude and 123°
21.979’ west longitude, then northeasterly to a point along the eastern
shoreline of Prevost Island at 48°49.258’ north latitude and 123°21.265’ west
longitude, then northerly and westerly along the shoreline to 48°49.475’ north
latitude and 123°21.319’ west longitude, then northerly and westerly along the
shoreline around Portlock Point to 48°49.944’ north latitude and 123°21.468’
west longitude, then northerly across Trincomali Channel to a point west of
Collinson Point on Galiano Island at 48°51.580’ north latitude and 123°21.376’
west longitude, then easterly along the shoreline to 48°51.583’ north latitude
and 123°21.128’ west longitude, then across Active Pass to Helen Point on Mayne
Island at 48°51.449’ north latitude and 123°20.719’ west longitude, then
southerly along the shoreline to the western extremity of Dinner Point at 48°
49.983’ north latitude and 123°19.663’ west longitude, then southerly, across
to Stanley Point on North Pender Island located at 48°49.199’ north latitude
and 123°19.544’ west longitude, and then southerly and easterly along the
shoreline of North Pender Island back to the point of commencement.

Very true about how it is read. This is the first I have seen this notice though.. Where did you find this notice? I’m not in front of my charts but based on this notice it’s closing the inside of active pass and also the entire portion of the bluffs out to moresby?

I guess the run up to thrasher rock is going to be necessary pretty soon..

Yes, Bluffs over to Moresby closes August 1. Near as I can figure, you could fish around most of Moresby, just avoid the stretch that is closed. No idea if that will produce any fish. The notice came as an email. When you go onto the site you can sign up for notifications. They are usually pretty wordy.... a pain to read and decipher, most of it won’t apply to you, but probably the only way to really keep up to date. Randomly checking on the site for updates can be hit and miss. They really need to improve the site. I have come across links provided in the emails that aren’t working properly, so you have to go back and try again at a later date. If I’d caught some sort of fish this morning, I might be less likely to say their site is a complete piece of ****.... but then again maybe not.

Yes, this sounds identical to last years closure. I guess we will wait until Thursday and see..

Can anyone explain what’s open in area 18 ? The feds print a nuclear novel when they post the regs. Looks like it’s pretty much closed. At least the fishing holes in area 18 .

Cheers

Can anyone explain what’s open in area 18 ? The feds print a nuclear novel when they post the regs. Looks like it’s pretty much closed. At least the fishing holes in area 18 .

Cheers

It’s absolutely ridiculous that they don’t just release a map with the description of the closed area.

If you take all the coordinates you can make a map yourself. That’s what I did this morning. I haven’t actually plotted it yet so I do not want to share it as the accuracy is not 100% yet.

GPX is a pretty common industry standard format. It amazes me that DFO can't provide a plotter compatible file that makes it easy to map things out. It's 2019 - people can download files off the inter webs these days.

Still not understanding the justification for these closures. Considering that most of these closures were NOT even proposed in the public comment period I'm really disappointed.

It’s pretty simple to figure out why the rec Fishermen and women get screwed. It’s because we don’t as a group fight back as hard as the group that fight against us and lobby for these ridiculous regs.

It’s pretty simple to figure out why the rec Fishermen and women get screwed. It’s because we don’t as a group fight back as hard as the group that fight against us and lobby for these ridiculous regs.

Check the Victoria thread, someone posted a map.

Yes, I saw the map . Can someone tell me where in 18 you have a remote chance of catching a salmon. To me the areas in 18 that are open don’t produce, but I am not an expert in this area.

Let us know if you can...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back