2019 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reef off tent island is very close but I’ve never had much luck. The Sidney thread might be a place to look. Not sure sure the spots on the east side of galiano are farther. If your down to run a bit I would try porlier pass or Salamanca point. Thrasher rock if your down to drive farther

index.php

Boy are those Deer fat!

Nice. Willing to share any areas you go for those prawns? We have a cabin on Mayne, been fishing my whole life, but never gone for the prawns and that needs to change

6a4899acba851f3ad993dbaeee216b26.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anywhere around any of the gulf islands in the channels with rock structure in the 250 to 450' range with drop offs that lead to flatter shelf like contours will get you prawns. Look for holes/pinnacles with shelves. If you set in more sandy/muddy areas you will likely catch more shrimp than prawns. Where the mud/sand is mixed in with rocks you will find a mix of Prawns and usually Coonstripes and Humpbacks. Make note of where the commies are fishing. Don't set yours all around them cause that's not ethical but you can learn from the kind of contours/structure they are fishing for them in. Prawn numbers have dropped drastically over the past few weeks getting lower every week cause the commies have swept the area pretty good.

Great few days coming to an end here in the southern gulf islands. Didn’t run into any pinks Aaron, but great to see some energetic springs hitting! Got 2 smaller keeper size reds (6-7) and one bigger (12-15) white over a couple days. Few more that hit/ran hard and then shook off. They seemed to like cop car / white hoochie.

The best part was the BBQ after.......... of the prawns . It’s very weird to release large chrome beauties.

Chasin dreams, your tips on prawns totally helped. They were right where you said, in the water. (Kidding, helpful tips there, thanks)

Good luck out there.

Right on Bben great to hear! If you see me out on the water out there don't hesitate to come over or flag me down for a chat. I'm in a blue/silver Weldcraft "Chasing Dreams Charters" name on the side.

Great few days coming to an end here in the southern gulf islands. Didn’t run into any pinks Aaron, but great to see some energetic springs hitting! Got 2 smaller keeper size reds (6-7) and one bigger (12-15) white over a couple days. Few more that hit/ran hard and then shook off. They seemed to like cop car / white hoochie.

The best part was the BBQ after.......... of the prawns . It’s very weird to release large chrome beauties.

Chasin dreams, your tips on prawns totally helped. They were right where you said, in the water. (Kidding, helpful tips there, thanks)

Good luck out there.
Sounds like a great weekend. I finished mine in the south gulf islands today caught one pink, one spring in the low teens and lost another spring at the boat around the 5lb range. Unfortunately lost my prawn traps a couple days ago up off Gabriola. But managed to pull some crabs this morening after an overnight soak.

Anyone know how much water I need to launch a 15' boat at the Cowichan Bay Hecate Park boat launch?

Anyone know how much water I need to launch a 15' boat at the Cowichan Bay Hecate Park boat launch?
I own a 16 ft. DE and can barely get it on the trailer with 3 ft. of water without backing the truck in till the exaust pipe is gurgling.Mark L is right in saying 4 ft. +.

Hey I’m new to this area and was wondering if anyone can tell me the common salmon fishing spots at oud Saltspring, Pender island and Saturna ?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back