2019 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put in a couple hours at tent yesterday. No love for us. Didn’t see anyone hook up. Lots of boats out for New Year’s Eve prawns. We were able to put a few in the tub for our New Years Eve dinner.

Mr. Grey

Unfortunately weather conditions in the gulf islands were less than ideal for my week spent their over the holidays so I didn't get to drop the fishing lines as planned. However, prawning and crabbing made for some tasty meals. This time last year we had some very good days trolling just off bottom all throughout the gulf islands. Most productive for us was skinny g spoons but we caught decent fish on chovies, coho killers, small pesca spoons, etc. I find the winter fishery in the gulf islands to be a ton of fun.... if you can stay warm! The fish are super aggressive and scrappy and I seem to catch winter springs in areas where I don't catch chinook in the Spring/Summer so it makes it interesting. Hope a few of you were able to find some calm water over the holidays and get out there. I'll be trying again soon and will post reports as soon as I get a chance. Happy new year to all! Hope everyone has some great fishing memories in 2019.

I never had time to drop the lines either over the holidays despite big plans. That said prawning was lights out.... best I have ever had in area 17 (maybe I just finally found them). Had one super exciting trailer loading session at Kin Park in Chemainus. Totally exposed launch in sustained wind of at least 25 kn.... touch and go even for my little welded aluminum.

Prawns were good to me. I found more action in shallower waters this year, and less in deeper water. I only dropped traps in one area so don't know what's going on in other places. I was catching most of my prawns 50 feet shallower than past winter breaks. Crabbing was good. Found some big boys, lots of up and comings and quite a few ladies carrying eggs (which I assume is good). For the most part the weather was awful so did not pursue salmon.

Was out for some sight seeing, prawning, and crabbing with my buddy on Monday to the gulf islands. Didn't put the rods out but did very well for prawns/shrimp with a mixed bag of rock and dungies for crab too for how short of a soak the gear had. Great to see a diverse catch of Prawns, Coonstripe, Pinky Shrimps, small Tanners, Squat Lobsters etc with lots of healthy females with eggs getting sent back as well. Not sure if they do survive after being released but hopefully they do. I think it's a good regulation for sure. We've always released the egg carrying females anyway but nice to have it a reg now.
Beautiful weather when we got behind some of the islands and the sky opened up with some bright sun and flat seas for us. Even had some time to kick back on an island for awhile to sip on some sweet whisky with my good buddy. Headed back to Vancouver in the dark for a nice ride home. Pretty warm weather for a January that's for sure. Man I love this coast we live on!!

49686480_541422913025952_8673557781346779136_n.jpg
49678689_541414059693504_8866301933472710656_n.jpg
49807105_540781479756762_2129651033981321216_n.jpg
49834126_541414133026830_6709234611412533248_n.jpg
50244556_541414169693493_8941031662888681472_n.jpg
49714024_540781783090065_3981912000287473664_n.jpg
49348937_540766939758216_2923087701513076736_n.jpg
50089390_541414243026819_6028535625605447680_n.jpg
50314500_541414113026832_2209982513147805696_n.jpg 49896214_541414273026816_1143330314353901568_n.jpg

Finally managed to get out for a winter fish over the long weekend. Tried Porlier to start the day and despite somewhat sloppy seas we managed to find some decent action around the 150' contour while scraping bottom with small spoons. In 2 hours we managed to find two keepers around 7-9 lbs and released another 7-8 undersized springs as well. Pretty good action for a short stint. Fishing the inside waters as well lost one that was most likely a keepers and dragged up a few bottom critters. Saw 4-5 other boats out at Porlier which is a lot for this time of year given the weather. Nice to get some fresh winter springs for the BBQ!

Anyone been out recently? Going to give it a go Saturday. I heard Grande has been producing some fish lately. Anyone having luck anywhere else?

Slow in the straight these days. Out for a while last night, nothing. Same tonight off Salamanca, nothing. Big Ironwood fishing 120 in 400 said they caught a few undersized. Same at Porlier. Lots of birds and bait on the sounder but...

FYI, "lost" a prawn trap in area 17-3 off alcala point in 300ft. very short soak of ~2 hours while we ran for fuel. Single ladner trap plus 10 pound cannonball on a large white boat fender and clearly marked with name (mclexxxx) and number (604-xxx-7071). Not expecting to get it back, but if you see it please pull it so it doesn't cause anyone any issue. Thanks

As for a fishing report.....the trap we set on the outside was right where we left it but it was only filled with skunks.

FYI, "lost" a prawn trap in area 17-3 off alcala point in 300ft. very short soak of ~2 hours while we ran for fuel. Single ladner trap plus 10 pound cannonball on a large white boat fender and clearly marked with name (mclexxxx) and number (604-xxx-7071). Not expecting to get it back, but if you see it please pull it so it doesn't cause anyone any issue. Thanks

As for a fishing report.....the trap we set on the outside was right where we left it but it was only filled with skunks.

Tugs go through there at times hauling barges etc..

I was there this weekend. Put in a shift Sat afternoon/eve and didnt run into any legals. Whales did make an apperance through. Friday pm, Sat am and Sunday am was very good at Thrasher though so they should be there.
Any porlier reports? Heading out in am but considering the drive further up.

Anyone have any luck with prawning in the southern GI, like near Mayne Island? See lots of posts about Poirier, Tent Isl, Gabriola, Thrasher, etc but nothing near where I am. Trying to get into it... I think I got the depth & trap set-up dialled in, but wondering is it worth trying the outside (in the straight) which is closer to where I'm at, or are the inside waters better? Thanks,

Anyone manage to get out this weekend? just wanted to re-post this update below for those who want to compete in the galiano derby on May 25th. I'm signed up already and hoping to get a fish or two in prior to the derby. Gonna need to sharpen up my catch & release skills for this year I suppose :)
---
New post from the Galiano Derby facebook page:

OK, the derby is now just over 2 weeks away! We are excited to get out there and catch (and release) some salmon and have a great time doing so.

Attached is the 2019 Official Rules Sheet. Please save a copy on your phone or print it out. Given the recent regulatory changes we had to get creative in coming up with a new catch and release format. There were a lot of options kicked around but ultimately we are going with one that prioritizes fun, fish safety, and honesty above a more tightly patrolled event.

Full details attached but all you need to know is that if you catch a chinook salmon you must take a picture of the fish (either in the water or in the boat with a tape measure showing the length of the fish to the nearest cm) and then show that picture to derby officials prior to 5pm at Montague Harbour. Whether your fish is 62cm, 68cm, 78cm or any other length, you have a good chance to win a great prize! In many case, a smaller fish will mean a better prize than a larger fish so there's no incentive to 'stretch' the tape measure
1f642.png
:)

There are also hidden weight prizes for retained lingcod and halibut (within DFO regulations of course).

If you haven't registered yet get on it!!! Visit the link below:
https://www.psf.ca/event/2019-galiano-salmon-classic
OR, sign up in person with Amber at Montague Harbour Marina on Galiano Island.

Hey guys... not a lot of activity on this thread lately...So I figured I'd ask... (I realize I also might be in the wrong area thread? Maybe this belongs in Nanaimo area?)

Father-in-law is coming for a visit in the next couple weeks, (July) and I was hoping to finally get him out on the boat...
Been out on the water in lots on other peoples boats, but this will be the first time out (on the ocean) for me on my own boat, (Yes I have all the licenses and Power and Sail courses completed - finally!!!), I just don't want to stray far from the dock...

He's very experienced on the water, but all of his time has been spent north of Nanimo, Cambell River, etc.... on his own boats... Hence why I'm waiting to go out with him... lol

Were in Lake Cowichan, Moved down from up northern BC last year, so I was hoping to launch in Crofton... Find somewhere to drop a crab trap and maybe wet some lines... Tour over to Saltspring maybe? Just learning the area?
Any suggestions or better recommendations than Crofton? Not looking for special spots, just trying to get the "newbie" jitters under control... lol
I'll be launching a 28ft Bayliner…

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back