2019 Fraser Chinook Management Actions UPDATED!!

Just my opinion but they’re not choosing scenario A. They put it there to scare us and make us think when they implement B “oh god. Thank goodness they didn’t choose A” Instead of us going wtf B is BS ...

I suspect you are right David..... but nevertheless-- we still need the letters sent to them.

I am actually not sure many of the Fraser First Nations will push for option A. The bag commercial fishermen were in support of rec chinook closers last year, ENGO's will ask for option A.

That leaves us alone to lobby for option B,

Just my opinion but they’re not choosing scenario A. They put it there to scare us and make us think when they implement B “oh god. Thank goodness they didn’t choose A” Instead of us going wtf B is BS ...

If option A gets pick I personally will be cancelling a trip up island and I'm sure others will. That's quantifiable losses.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-7_17-10-38.png
    upload_2019-2-7_17-10-38.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 26

I was told to give you this message. If you have a problem with what I posted you can phone Deryk or Pat directly. I am giving a message above from the SFAB directly to help our main board out as they are sitting with DFO to talk about your fisheries right now. You and others all continually ask to help. Well here you go. We ask for a favor and at the worst possible time you slam it down.

Why would you do that even now? Please think before you post.

Actually, a chinook hatchery was tried on the Quesnel River at Likely. Quesnel River and other stocks were raised and released, using the then best known hatchery techniques, and .... it failed. The returns did not justify the expense but that was then, so perhaps it would be worth another try. It would be an interesting debate for sure.

I'm no hatchery knowledgeable person but Washington State has decided to invest in hatcheries as well as looking at removing dams and restoring habitat. That's a recent major decision of their's to help restore the SRKW population and save their salmon stocks. They must know something we don't, assuming they know what they're doing. That's a recent decision of their's to invest big dollars. Meanwhile our dfo/feds contribution to help the SRKW's and improve chinook numbers is type new rules on a keyboard. Let's see .......Ottawa buys a pipeline for 4.5 billion to help Alberta's troubled oil industry/Canada but can't find one dollar to contribute to BC's troubled fishing industry/Canada. What a pile of ********. What .... restricting fishing rules is the best you can come up with DFO/feds?

Can we get a favor from all online here? Can we stop the thread briefly put aside the differences for a second. I have an urgent request from you guys tonight. I just sent this out on our SFAC Area 17 email list, and Facebook Page. This is pretty scary ****, and I for one don't want to see any areas lose fisheries. But it takes like 5 minutes to send an e-mail. You all asked how you can help well here is your chance. Thanks guys. If you can write posts you can do this one.

Hi Everyone,

URGENT: Pending 2019 Fraser River Chinook Fishing Restrictions - Feedback Required To DFO

Right now our SFAB main board is meeting in Vancouver to discuss our recreational fishery for 2019. We have request from you.

These are the options in regards to changes to our Chinook Salmon fishery this year. The scenarios are listed below Scenario A and Scenario B.

This is VERY IMPORTANT we need you to send tonight a simple e-mail to the two following e-mail addresses within DFO. Do not bother with the minister at this point. Here are the email addresses. Please do not wait!

Jeff Grout, Regional Resource Manager, Salmon
Jeff.Grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

DFO Pacific Salmon Team
DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

We request you do the following in your response:

1. Why Scenario A won't work for you ( shown below).

2. State the financial loss to the local economy with you not being able to fish this year. Be specific and put a dollar amount on it. Include everything you spend locally on your sport and where.

Done!

Going to be lots of businesses closing and people who were counting on employment not being hired this year. For those who can sell catch and release to their clients there will be lots of maneuvering room on the water this summer. Because DFO has no plan to recover the Fraser stocks of concern or effectively deal with the SRKW problems this will be long term pain. (present federal politicians should share that pain come election day)

When the nets go out this summer, it's time to start dropping hay bails into the river.

Going to be lots of businesses closing and people who were counting on employment not being hired this year. For those who can sell catch and release to their clients there will be lots of maneuvering room on the water this summer. Because DFO has no plan to recover the Fraser stocks of concern or effectively deal with the SRKW problems this will be long term pain. (present federal politicians should share that pain come election day)

This is RECONCILIATION...

I'm no hatchery knowledgeable person but Washington State has decided to invest in hatcheries as well as looking at removing dams and restoring habitat. That's a recent major decision of their's to help restore the SRKW population and save their salmon stocks. They must know something we don't, assuming they know what they're doing. That's a recent decision of their's to invest big dollars. Meanwhile our dfo/feds contribution to help the SRKW's and improve chinook numbers is type new rules on a keyboard. Let's see .......Ottawa buys a pipeline for 4.5 billion to help Alberta's troubled oil industry/Canada but can't find one dollar to contribute to BC's troubled fishing industry/Canada. What a pile of ********. What .... restricting fishing rules is the best you can come up with DFO/feds?

Umm...they bought a pipeline which wasn’t even close to being built given the regulatory challenges.

No real help for Alberta having the liberals buy it.

If they actually wanted to help they would have rammed it through for Kinder Morgan.

Don't forget to write that Rollie I am going to post on your Facebook page.

I was told to give you this message. If you have a problem with what I posted you can phone Deryk or Pat directly. I am giving a message above from the SFAB directly to help our main board out as they are sitting with DFO to talk about your fisheries right now. You and others all continually ask to help. Well here you go. We ask for a favor and at the worst possible time you slam it down.

Why would you do that even now? Please think before you post.

What are you talking about ? LOL. I agree to call, email etc and always do but I’m just saying my opinion. Never met somebody so touchy. My post had nothing to do with yours hahaha. Wow. Was stating their tactics. Cause that’s exactly why they do it that way.

Last edited:
Umm...they bought a pipeline which wasn’t even close to being built given the regulatory challenges.

No real help for Alberta having the liberals buy it.

If they actually wanted to help they would have rammed it through for Kinder Morgan.

You're right it didn't work out as planned.....at least yet. But they did pay out 4.5 billion with the intention of helping the Alta oil industry. I would be impressed with DFO/feds if they came up with some funding for the west coast fish stocks like Washington state is intending to do.

When the nets go out this summer, it's time to start dropping hay bails into the river.
Why would you say something that is entirely inflammatory and so clearly wrong? There’s a real consensus here to be constructive and creative in addressing the problems. Your post is designed to incite nothing but ill will and anger and will derail this discussion. Move on.

Email sent. copied my local (Liberal :eek:) MP.

I listed every business (marina, tackleshop, etc.) with a $ amount beside it where I spent over $500. And then listed every business I could recall spending at during the year. Not a small list.

Rough personal math for 2018 without getting into the details....$15,000....5 chinook retained in the SoG. Scenario A gets put in place and my boat likely finds a new home south of the border.

No I am not a sh*tty fisherman @Stizzla :).

Last edited:
Back