2019 Fraser Chinook Management Actions UPDATED!!

wildmanyeah

Crew Member
See attached,

Still looks like nothing is finalized but will things look like they are going to change.

upload_2019-1-31_11-19-11.png

upload_2019-1-31_11-21-18.png

Attachments

• Day 1 2019 Fraser River Chinook Conservation Measures (1).pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 120
Here is some of the rest of the data that goes along with this.

Attachments

• 2018 Fraser River Chinook Summary for the FORUM.pdf
    323.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 2018 FIA Prelimanary Creel Results.pdf
    99.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Day 1 Post Season Chinook Coho and Chum Amended.pdf
    719.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Day 1 Post Season Fraser Sockeye.pdf
    493.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Day 1 PST Chapter 4 Update.pdf
    161.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Day 2 2019 Fisheries Planning.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • Day 2 Post Season Presentation from C&P.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • Fraser Sockeye information for forum 20181203.pdf
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Regular vs Emergency 2018-09-07.pdf
    87.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Review of marine recreational monitoring 2018.pdf
    430.2 KB · Views: 7
Seems to me we will progress towards a mark selective / hatchery only fishery. Maybe not coast wide but in certain areas / times.

This would be fine with me so long as we actually clip our fish.

Many of the “wild” fish we catch just aren’t clipped. That needs to change. I’m not sure what the clip rate is, but I believe it is 10% or less.

Maybe SFI, PSF and anglers need to fund the purchase of a couple of these:

https://www.nmt.us/autofish-system/

Good use of proceeds for an increase in the price of the salmon stamp. Should be $20.

I’d rather keep a hatchery fish anyway.

Maybe 10 % of the hatchery HW that return to the Vedder are clipped.
Food for thought!

Exactly.

Same as all the “wild” coho we sort through to find a hatchery fish.

Mark them all.

The sportfishing industry will likely have to pay for it....Fine with me.

More clipped fish, more CWT...better data and better management.

Exactly.

Same as all the “wild” coho we sort through to find a hatchery fish.

Mark them all.

The sportfishing industry will likely have to pay for it....Fine with me.

More clipped fish, more CWT...better data and better management.

Actually they found with mass marking programs less people turn in the heads so less CWT data,

Also many First Nations along Fraser have asked for zone zero management for Fraser chinook stocks this upcoming season.

That will have big implications for recreational fisheries if implemented.

Zone zero management also cut FSC fisheries for chinook way back.

Would rather have clipped fish and deal with the lower number of heads turned in than everybody talking about all the wilds they are catching at thrasher and Vancouver area.
Not clipping fish is stupid. The last thing we need is the snowflakes thinking we are killing endangered wild Chinook when in fact they are our hatchery Chinook!

Last edited:
Would rather have clipped fish and deal with the lower number of heads turned in than everybody talking about all the wilds they are catching at thrasher and Vancouver area.

I think people will turn in heads if it is mandated. We should also have to turn in licenses at year end (or provide data online).

Everyone should be incented to do their part if that is what it takes to keep access.

Last edited:
I think people will turn in heads if it is mandated. We should also have to turn in licenses at year end (or provide data online).

Everyone should be incented to do their part if that is what it takes to keep access.

That's a nice idea that was tried previously (cool prizes), but frankly we have begged people for many years to turn in their heads and explained how important it is. Not convinced there would be a behaviour change.

What is coming for certain is we will be asked to make some very difficult choices in areas and times where Fraser stocks of concern are known to be present. I prefer a surgical approach as opposed to a broad brush or blanket approach. With 4 stocks listed as Threatened and 8 stocks listed as Endangered, one can expect difficult choices being required by all stakeholders.

Choices could range from things like area/timing closures, reduced limits, slot limits or selective fisheries.

Washington State for example, has a "marked select fishery" (MSF) in place to protect wild Chinook. Canada's problem is the Fisheries Ministers of the day have avoided the cost of marking hatchery produced fish. The US counter-parts clip but do not necessarily tag all their fish with coded wire tags (CWT). So a MSF for Chinook for Canada would be problematic as the number of hatchery fish that are actually "marked" is very low. There is no way to fix that problem in time for our upcoming season, and significant investments in auto-marking machines is required. Typically successive Fisheries Ministers have not valued the rec fishery and the economic benefits attached to it enough to make those investments. Perhaps with a fishery worth over a $billion/year on the line, that attitude will change.

Looking back at various management options tried in BC before, the most effective at reducing exploitation numbers while also allowing a fishery to take place was the combination of measures employed in JDF. They succeeded in lowering exploitation down to 6,634 Chinook, many of which are not the larger spawning adults. So there are options available that allow a fishery to take place without imposing total closure and the ensuing economic impacts.

That's a nice idea that was tried previously (cool prizes), but frankly we have begged people for many years to turn in their heads and explained how important it is. Not convinced there would be a behaviour change.

What is coming for certain is we will be asked to make some very difficult choices in areas and times where Fraser stocks of concern are known to be present. I prefer a surgical approach as opposed to a broad brush or blanket approach. With 4 stocks listed as Threatened and 8 stocks listed as Endangered, one can expect difficult choices being required by all stakeholders.

Choices could range from things like area/timing closures, reduced limits, slot limits or selective fisheries.

Washington State for example, has a "marked select fishery" (MSF) in place to protect wild Chinook. Canada's problem is the Fisheries Ministers of the day have avoided the cost of marking hatchery produced fish. The US counter-parts clip but do not necessarily tag all their fish with coded wire tags (CWT). So a MSF for Chinook for Canada would be problematic as the number of hatchery fish that are actually "marked" is very low. There is no way to fix that problem in time for our upcoming season, and significant investments in auto-marking machines is required. Typically successive Fisheries Ministers have not valued the rec fishery and the economic benefits attached to it enough to make those investments. Perhaps with a fishery worth over a $billion/year on the line, that attitude will change.

Looking back at various management options tried in BC before, the most effective at reducing exploitation numbers while also allowing a fishery to take place was the combination of measures employed in JDF. They succeeded in lowering exploitation down to 6,634 Chinook, many of which are not the larger spawning adults. So there are options available that allow a fishery to take place without imposing total closure and the ensuing economic impacts.

First Nations along the Fraser have asked for Zone zero Management., What does that mean for areas like the JDF?

upload_2019-2-4_9-43-35.png

First Nations along the Fraser have asked for Zone zero Management., What does that mean for areas like the JDF?

View attachment 43237
I'm not going to speculate. Obviously some significant issues ahead, and hopefully we will be able to find support to maintain fishing opportunities and the $1.1 billion in real economic contribution to BC

upload_2019-2-4_12-9-14.png

What does this mean for us?
More restrictions for sportys,increased netting on the Fraser with no thought of conservation!

Reactions: RBL
To top that off, the economic value of recreational fishing leads all other fishing related sectors in both contribution to GDP and Employment. We are working with the Chamber of Commerce to help them advocate to protect against the full impact to small coastal communities if recreational fisheries are closed. No one is better positioned to speak for the economic value of our fishery than the Chamber - economic values to local communities is what the Chamber is all about.
upload_2019-2-4_15-58-46.png
upload_2019-2-4_15-59-16.png

Back