2019 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a very good morning on Friday. We caught 2 marbled Chinook (10 & 12 #) of the east side of Hornby. One on green spackle back hootchie and one on a 4" spoon. We were done in 45 minutes from our start, what a great day. WD was 200 - 250' and DR was 185' and 200'.

Attachments

• August Chinook.jpeg
    August Chinook.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 55
I don't remember a single report from Grants Reef this year. Maybe because fishing has been good closer to home?
If anyone's been out there recently, I'd appreciate hearing how you did. Hoping to take the family out on the long weekend. (Wicked tides through the weekend! Might be easier to fish mid channel)

I don't remember a single report from Grants Reef this year. Maybe because fishing has been good closer to home?
If anyone's been out there recently, I'd appreciate hearing how you did. Hoping to take the family out on the long weekend. (Wicked tides through the weekend! Might be easier to fish mid channel)

I personally haven’t bothered to go to Grants as the fishing has been insane minutes from my door, but i heard it’s been on fire out there.
funny you mention strong tides because every time i fish there i seem to have problems with major blowback on my dr lines no matter what way i troll. i would have thought the same thing; it’s left me scratching my head more than once

I personally haven’t bothered to go to Grants as the fishing has been insane minutes from my door, but i heard it’s been on fire out there.
funny you mention strong tides because every time i fish there i seem to have problems with major blowback on my dr lines no matter what way i troll. i would have thought the same thing; it’s left me scratching my head more than once

Thanks for your comments Riverboy. Another puzzle to ponder... If the weather is nice, I'll give it a try anyway.
We'll have 4 on the boat, so it's worth going a bit further than the usual spots.

Saw a cel pic of 42# taken at Grants a couple of days ago !

I also heard from a very reliable source that a 48 lb spring was caught at Grants on Saturday August 17th. We fished at Lazo that day (saw you Brian there as well) we caught fish but we were thinking of heading to Grants as the water was turning to glass in the afternoon but we decided to try for rock fish instead and caught a few white fish for dinner

If your down riggger balls are back further then normal it because you are watching SOG speed over ground and compensating for the tide by speeding up. You should be figuring out which rpm catches fish for you as SOG means nothing. If you go by rpm youll no longer have the "blow back" issue.

If your down riggger balls are back further then normal it because you are watching SOG speed over ground and compensating for the tide by speeding up. You should be figuring out which rpm catches fish for you as SOG means nothing. If you go by rpm youll no longer have the "blow back" issue.

i never go by sog. i go by trolling with the known current direction and cable angle. maybe one day i’ll give it another chance out there

Slow off Lazo today. Ran a Skinny G at 50’ for Coho but it took a nice spring of around 15# to save the day. Nice way to spend Labour Day!

Fished Lazo today. Ran a sandlance spoon at 150 ft and picked up a 15 lb spring within 30 minutes. Beauty day on the water.

ok, ill keep this thread going - spent an hour off the spit - saw lots of activity on the sounder, but wasn't able to tempt any coho to bite. Moved over to Lazo and had quite a few little shakers - aggressive little buggers. Finally changed over to a larger plug which solved the shaker "issue" but also stopped any further action for the remainder of the afternoon. Nice to be on the water though, although definately a bit nipply.

Back out at Kitty yesterday. Great weather and lots of action but all were undersized. Used flasher and hootchies. There were about a dozen boats out. They were also doing a creel survey at the boat launch during the afternoon.

Out at Kitty for a couple hours and had some reasonable action - a couple "give it a few months" i.e ~55cms, one nice "just legal" @66cms, and this fat beauty ~83cms.
All on anchovies and teased them off the bottom. Nice day on the water.

Attachments

• 20191101_120951.jpg
    20191101_120951.jpg
    652 KB · Views: 187
Out at Kitty for a couple hours and had some reasonable action - a couple "give it a few months" i.e ~55cms, one nice "just legal" @66cms, and this fat beauty ~83cms.
All on anchovies and teased them off the bottom. Nice day on the water.
beauty fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back