2019 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
When fishing from a boat, don't just look at the spawn as your opportunity to catch herring. I drop my herring jigs all season long and catch herring. They'll hit a herring jig all summer long. I use them for squid too with good success.

Still down without a power plant for the tinny ,not that i could get out weather wiseyet this yearass up the soluner calender this moring so headed to lil riv sing sands for a shore cast at 6 am.cold and windy.about 730 a fellow showed and on first cast caught and while clearing weed fom hook a 15# salmon juped 15 feet in font of him ,i viwed all from 50 yards away.the fellow looked to the fish and then at me and i gave him the thumbs up and pointed in the direction of the fish .fished 6-9 am .seen one 15# salmon .

Well, based on the number of boats I've seen out there lately, no wonder this thread is thin on reports!
I'll play though - lots of fish for the past month or so. Lately lots of "just under legal" (if there was such a thing!), but a couple high teens thrown in as well. A couple of wild cohos as well. Most seem to be hanging around the 50' mark, but also seeing a few on the sounder down deep.
Unfortunately the flippered pests are also out in abundance. Had 2 recent encounters - and this last one was a battle to see who was more stubborn - the seal or me. After easily 45 minutes had to call it a draw as it was the line that gave up before one of us. Bugger took my flasher and favourite Peetz lure as well :-(

Hi folks. New to the forum & the sport! Enjoying getting out with the family, jigging for lingcod, prawning and crabbing recently. Had some success south of Hornby, but it’s a long run from Comox.
Wondering if anyone has any ling tips or spots closer to Comox / Kitty Coleman area they’d be willing to share? :) cheers.

Hi folks. New to the forum & the sport! Enjoying getting out with the family, jigging for lingcod, prawning and crabbing recently. Had some success south of Hornby, but it’s a long run from Comox.
Wondering if anyone has any ling tips or spots closer to Comox / Kitty Coleman area they’d be willing to share? :) cheers.
There is a boat launch at Deep Bay. That's where I put in usually if I'm fishing the south end of Hornby/Denman

Fished off Hornby yesterday from 8:30 - 2:30, lots of action with wild coho and under sized springs but no keepers , flat calm even tried for ling with no success, still beats working...

Fished off Hornby yesterday from 8:30 - 2:30, lots of action with wild coho and under sized springs but no keepers , flat calm even tried for ling with no success, still beats working...

Thanks for the report. My dad and I are planning to get out off Hornby (maybe tribune area?) tomorrow if the weather holds.
Hope to be able to add to the reports soon.

ps. What depth were you getting your hits at?

Got out out today off Hornby. My Dad and I managed 2 coho, one lost at the boat and the other a 3-4lbs wild one that was sent back. We fished mid-day as tide approached low slack. Both caught on spoons at 50' or so.

I’m visiting Hornby for the week and planning on doing some jigging for both salmon and lings. I’m wondering if anyone could offer some advice/ reports of the area... Any information is greatly appreciated!

I’m visiting Hornby for the week and planning on doing some jigging for both salmon and lings. I’m wondering if anyone could offer some advice/ reports of the area... Any information is greatly appreciated!

Just before the chinook opening there was quite a bit of bait off of Flora Islet, my buddy hit a nice 12 lb or so spring in about 40' of water jigging with a Macdeep

Anchoring and jigging off Norris rocks has been successful for some. Saw a couple fellows hook up a nice coho on a jig there last week.

Went out today out of the Comox Harbour roughly around 6 AM. Hardly anyone there. We decided to try around Cape Lazo Within 45 minutes a big chinook took our white Hoochie,we let it run a little bit and when it got to the boat , we see it is a big hog. So the wife held onto the rod as I put my net in the water it took off. It was definitely oversized and may be a good thing that it spit the hook out as we would’ve hated to have taken it out of the water to measure and not be able to keep it . What a nice fight. Only spent 3 hrs there, nice first day back in the water this year. Oh and the whales were a nice touch.

Back at it again south of Hornby today. 2 more coho, both undersized, both on green spoons. Also picked up a 10lbs lingcod on the spoon in 60' of water. Fished for 1.5-2hrs then the wind started to pick up.

Let's keep this thread going lol...
Out late afternoon from 4-7 pm off of Hornby again. Followed our usual tack and was into a fish in the first 10 min's. Turned out to be an undersized coho. Gear down again and 5 minutes later the clip pops big. With rod in hand I knew it was bigger than the rest. Passed the rod over to my Dad so he could have some fun! Fish took a bunch of nice runs and then headed straight to the top. Thought we'd lost it a couple times. Finally in sight and it was a biggun...well over 62, but was it under 80? Unfortunately, not a chance. We measured it out to 90 cm. Didn't have time to measure girth to get an better idea as to weight but I'd estimate it at around 23-25lbs. It was a great fish!
While it sucks that just about any other time in my life than the past 6 months or so we could've kept it, it was nice to watch it swim off into the deep.

80' down on a green spoon behind a green flasher.

I'm camping in Fanny bay during the long weekend. And I kayak fish. How is fishing in the straight there? Any chance of salmon? Or just bottom fish off Denman ?

Fished the area south of Cape Lazo on Saturday. Great weather..flat calm. No Springs but many Coho. Some of very good size. Unfortunately, no clipped fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back