2019 Campbell River Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late report but fished the hump last night on the wimpy ebb. got into a huge school of sub legal fish south end of the hump so we moved further north towards the light where we killed a 68cm chinook that was eye hooked or i would have released it.

landed a 15 lb white spring and then shortly after another 20 lb white spring with orcas about 500 m away, so there goes that theory. lost many others including something which screamed so hard it snapped my line above the flasher on what i can only imagine was an unknown abrasion or cut.

deep water fishing. i mean ten feet from the bottom. one of the whites was south of 300.’ it sucks but it’s do-able. guy on the throttle needs to help keep it tight while your reeling arm recovers....

Sure is a lot of springs rolling between the pier and the ferry break water. Probably because it is near where the net pens were. I had one on briefly towing a Tomic 602 plug with 6 oz's.

Any idea why?

not really. from what i understand the pens didn’t have the blessings of DFO; this was told to me by another SFBC member who i’ve never personally met so my intel not reliable.

out with the family tonite. picked up a 12, 18, and a 20 at the green can. beauty nite flat calm

Back from 2 days at Browns Bay, awesome weather with even better fishing.
4 springs coming in on bait 120-150 feet, with coho and some pinks still showing up. Tides or time of day didn’t seem to matter for us. Success at the wall and at deepwater.

fished the green can today from around 2-7. caught a keeper right off the bat, but it was smallish, so i decided to shake it. i was starting to second guess this decision as not a sniff for almost four hours.

halfway up the tack to francisco point, i got into piles of feed, and then i hooked into and fought what was easily the largest salmon i’ve ever had on my rod. it took an epic run off the bat, before i could even touch the drag. it stopped and sulked for a few moments and it then took another massive run. i just couldn’t turn it at all. i fought it for about fifteen minutes before it finally sawed off the lower tandem hook with its teeth. i’ve fought lots of fish; this was tyee class for sure and perhaps this was even 40. who knows....

I just sat there for about five minutes not saying a word. sick to my stomach.

just about bailed but i decided to keep going. we ended up getting a chrome 12 and a 15 lb chinook that was a bit bronzed up. this chinook hit the hootchie about ten feet from the surface as i was checking the line. tons of bait; tons of bird activity.

whoever the guy was in the smaller whaler fishing solo; i wonder if you are a SFBC member; i would love to sit down over a beer and pick your brain; that was a straight up jigging clinic you were putting on. the guy was into non stop fish for about two hours.

gonna rain for a few days which will move some fish out but i still think there’s gonna be an extended season. good numbers still being caught up north including around Sayward

Looking to go fishing on Monday or Wednesday. I am hesitating between Hump/Green Can or running north and fishing the Brown's Bay area. Any thoughts? Is fishing still good in both spots ?

Fished around Francisco Point today. Lots of bait, lots of action. Released several undersized springs, many wild coho. Only one keeper for me today, a 12-14 spring. Saw many nets, I suspect some boats limited out. Beautiful day on the water.

Any chum showing up north of Seymour Narrows?
Fished Plumpber Bay on the ebb today, 0830 - 1130. Did not see any jumpers or schools on the sounder. Only one other boat fishing there. Saw one boat fishing Brown Bay and one fishing off Seperation Head. So came home with a good boat ride.

Thanks Bill. I must have been one of those other boats. I fished from 10:00 to 3:30. Fished Brown's Bay, and Separation Head. Very slow. Only one bite, landed a 10-12# chum. None of the other boats were catching either. No schools of chum or jumpers seen. Let's hope the chum arrive for the derby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back