2019 Campbell River Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having trouble finding info on the CR boat launches. I just spoke to the Freshwater Marina and won't be able to launch there because they open at 8am and we will be leaving at 6 or 7.
Can you launch any time at the Discovery Harbour launch? And is it ok on a 4-5 ft tide? We will be launching a 15 ft aluminum so don't need much water.

Sad isn’t it...Salmon Capital of the World and we have like, two realistic launches. Big Rock is your best bet with a boat that size and it’s free. parking can be tough when busy . low tides can be tough going thru the narrow opening in the breakwater but with a boat that big you should be fine

What is sad, is those that think the taxpayers should build and maintain boat launches at no cost to the user.
Oh come on! It's a collective asset. Like skateboard parks and ice arenas, soccer pitches and baseball diamonds. I don't use any of those but I'm glad they are there for others to use. Taxpayers should support public boat launches.

Out to the Green just after first light. Four chinook in less than an hour including a perfect 79 cm red beauty! Purple Haze and Army Truck both did the job.
Bill, how deep are you fishing at the Green Can, and in how much water, if you don't me asking? I've been getting the odd hit, but not nearly as much as I should be getting. Thanks,

What is sad, is those that think the taxpayers should build and maintain boat launches at no cost to the user.

Total Boo! On that one. All I bring to CR is money and I'm sure the local economy appreciates that. I know there is a line somewhere on user fees but I would think having that launch is a boon to many nearby businesses. It has to be viewed as an attraction to outside tourism. If you build it, they (and their $) will come. Gouge people and maybe not.

This thread is light on reports so far. I thought there would be lots of posts after the 15 of July opening!

Are there many coho around?
Much bait?
Any fish being caught on Wilby Shoal?

acres and acres of bait around. most i’ve ever seen fishing CR for over 30 years. salmon fishing also best i’ve ever seen. get out and go deep right along bottom. the herring are quite large right now about six inches.

Thanks for the reply!

I don’t have downriggers so I typical fish with jigs. Hence my interest in the shoal areas.

How about coho? Are they around as well?

then find bait around the current slack and get your jig below the bait.
not sure about coho i haven’t been targeting them

Last edited:
Beauty morning out there.
Started at 06:00, thought a couple of runs at the hump would be a good warm up.
Running hootchies and flashers. Couple of either side of the low limit, let them swim free.
Lots of bait up by the lighthouse, not so much on the south end of the hump.
Trolled over to the green can. Crickets.
Went to do a lighthouse tack, blown over to the Willow Point shore.
That's when the action happened. Lots of bait, we were fishing in deep water with our balls deep.
Picked up three nice nookies.
Back in the office for the rest of the day, with a big smile.

Ya no kidding. Beautiful spot tho. I can remember having a double header of nookies on up there and while the fight was on we were practically being splashed by orcas, bottlenose dolphins dancing 50 yards in front, bald eagles over top and what I presume was a grizzly bear on the shoreline. One friend on the boat it was his first time fishing. He got a tattoo of the scene couple months later. Hope to get up there for a few passes this year!

Love the area of the passage.This winter I blew up the 25 on the 14.5tinny ,then baught a 15 to replace for 14 tinny .15 blew up this spring. went to elk with the 12' and a 2hp blew up first hour early july .rowed the 12'.caught 1 keeper crab,1 keeper cod ,one of those fish that starts L can't quite remember the name.had a screamer and lost the fish .602 plug 8 oz slip.last couple day trips in july without a motor for the 3 tinnys , i have been ,shorecastin bombs at bluff eagles c and race p trails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back