2019 Campbell River Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing on the go in CR? Looking to go for first timer as a BYOB.... hoping to see some reports going on here.... Looking for May or June to go.. anyone with advice?

There must be some action out there. Don't need depth or where, just an idea of how the fishing is?

You know the year is in shambles when there’s only 3 posts on this thread. Probably going to make a trip to discovery passage late this summer, should be some coho and pinks around.

It is a complete ghost town here in the “salmon capital”. i was one of five vessels on the waterfront this morning and four were harrassing a small pod of orcas. i was jigging for whatnot. sad sad times...

It is a complete ghost town here in the “salmon capital”. i was one of five vessels on the waterfront this morning and four were harrassing a small pod of orcas. i was jigging for whatnot. sad sad times...

I am willing to bet the green can in shallow would be great fishing right now with zero pressure. I suppose not a lot of guys are too interested in fishing the hump 250 feet just to release a fish. And I don’t blame them...

Sad times indeed.

Saw a few boats out there and was wondering.
Your report nails it.

Just under 7 weeks to 'opening' day. I think it will be similar to gillnetting in the Fraser during the 80's and early 90's. Battle boats.

I herd from a buddy up there that fishing is great right now, 20+ hookups on one tide. Of course maybe that's just people trying to get boats out, was not a first hand report.

I herd from a buddy up there that fishing is great right now, 20+ hookups on one tide. Of course maybe that's just people trying to get boats out, was not a first hand report.

Lots of bait in front of the light and the hump. Think i’m gonna try rigging up some less “stabby”hooks to some hootchies and give them a swim later on this week. Man the yard is looking great this year

People pay thousands of dollars to fish "catch and release". Now is the opportunity far guides and others who do not need to harvest fish but just enjoy the sport. I have heard that the fishing is excellent.

People pay thousands of dollars to fish "catch and release". Now is the opportunity far guides and others who do not need to harvest fish but just enjoy the sport. I have heard that the fishing is excellent.
Bear good to see you posting, are you working for Painters again this year?

This past week did some trolling at Marina (no hits), Subtle Islands (1 ~4lb spring) and Red Bell buoy off Smelt Bay (1 ~6lb spring), but no keepers.

Went out for a look around last evening. Francisco to the Green was barren. Over to the Hump- lots of feed. Released a few- purple haze flasher and hoochie

Hope you are all getting out there now it is open. I just wanted to give a bump to the Chinook and Coho diet monitoring we are doing out of UVic. For folks fishing Campbell River you can drop off your stomachs at Tyee Marine. The store should have bags and data cards but we can also mail supplies. Key info to record is species, date, length, catch location, and hatchery/wild. In the absence of our fancy waterproof datacards pencil on scrap paper is fine. Include your email address and each stomach is one entry in a draw for an MR2LA courtesy of Islander Reels.
Check out the story on our program in the July issue of Island Fisherman Magazine and follow us on Facebook at
https://www.facebook.com/Southern-BC-Adult-Salmon-Diet-Program-493763831003993/
Questions to juaneslabmanger@gmail.com

Tight lines

Will

Out at the green can with my grandson and about 50 other boats. Lots of fish around. We were only out for an hour, released two just under and had one keeper. The 3 1/2" blue- glow spoons worked, fishing at about 110 feet on the rigger.

Having trouble finding info on the CR boat launches. I just spoke to the Freshwater Marina and won't be able to launch there because they open at 8am and we will be leaving at 6 or 7.
Can you launch any time at the Discovery Harbour launch? And is it ok on a 4-5 ft tide? We will be launching a 15 ft aluminum so don't need much water.

Big rock is open all the time. Disco marina is a good spot to launch, costs $10 though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back